“Penthouse Wow”

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
London, United Kingdom
“Penthouse Wow”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is a pretty cool hotel. I'd say that we grew to love our room rather than instantly fell for it. When we walked in, the room itself (a deluxe king) looked a little jaded and lacked some of the sparkle that is to be found in the lobby or Penthouse floor. It felt more Sheraton than boutique and the sofa in particular was shabby. However, the room was large the bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was huge, so by the time we checked out we both agreed it had been a good place to stay. On top of all that (literally) the Penthouse was an amazing place to have breakfast. Great views and great people watching. Recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vegas_Colada
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to let us know your experience. We rely on our valued guest comments to continue to improve and we hope to welcome you back to the Huntley again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Huntley and we could not be happier with our choice. We had a room on the 17th floor and many reviews complained of the noise from the restaurant/bar upstairs. While we could hear some commotion, it certainly did not keep us up at night. The service was exceptional, every member of the staff went above and beyond to accommodate and were all incredibly friendly and helpful. The beds are fantastic, the views are amazing, and the perfect location. A short walk to 3rd street promenade and the beach. Worth every penny.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback! We are delighted that you had such a positive experience while staying with us. We look very forward to welcoming you back to the Huntley again soon!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

I love staying at the Huntley, I stay there about 4 times a year. The food is great and the views from the Penthouse restaurant are amazing. Beds are to die for comfortable, and I've always had a really big room. Location couldn't be better, close to the beach and 3rd st promenade so lots of food and entertainment and shopping options. The little shop in the foyer is great for grabbing a quick coffee and snack. Even though I usually stay for business, when I took a personal vacation to LA I still chose the Huntley.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank rdehavil
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm so happy to hear that you had a great experience with us and we look very forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Surrey
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed here while visiting our son and used it as a base. Lovely location, rooms good, but apart from the restaurant/bar there is really nothing for guests. Maybe I'm too used to European hotels.The food in the restaurant was good, but the noise levels there were awful. I suppose it's ok if you are younger, but we couldn't hear each other speak! An expensive hotel, with expensive parking, but I guess you are paying for the location.
Breakfast in the restaurant gave some lovely views over the sea and was a bit more peaceful than the evenings!
Good hotel for a couple of nights.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 2, 2012

To start off, I'm glad my company paid for it. The room was nice, but the bathroom was very small and the shower didn't drain. To avoid flooding the entire room, I had to shower as fast as possible. The walls were thick, so I didn't hear my neighbors, but the windows were not. I could every business in the alley dragging their trashcans out in the morning. I enjoyed my stay, but I don't think its worth the price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. It's through our valued guest comments that we can continue to improve. We hope to welcome you back to the Huntley again soon!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We recently held a business meeting in the Crystal Room 3 and were beyond impressed.

Mandy Amini is so helpful in working with you to find the right space for your needs--making sure everything is set-up perfectly and runs smoothly during your event. (Not to mention, she is one of the nicest people I have ever worked with.)

The staff is incredibly friendly and attentive, and the venue is truly lovely and quite stylish and contemporary. We won over our european client, and our other high-end design partners were asking us for booking details for their next meeting.

I highly recommend using this venue for your meetings in the future--especially if you're looking for an uber chic setting with top of the line service. It's also a beautiful hotel with an amazing location in Santa Monica, if you had out of town clients who needed lodging.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Huntley Hotel S, at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Darerca,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are disappointed that we have failed to meet your expectations. I would love to discuss this with you and hope you will contact me directly. Our sincere apology and hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you the service you expect and deserve. Sincerely; Tim Lee - Hotelier Consultant
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 22, 2012

The Huntley apparently just went through a 16 million dollar facelift. Unfortunately, that's all it was - a facelift. The lobby is beautiful (if quaint) and the rooftop bar/lounge is very chic. However, if you're actually staying in the hotel, the rooms leave something to be desired. It's pretty clear that the rooms are outdated with a few nice fixtures built in during the renovation. The beds are comfortable, the TVs are big, the closets are enormous, and the furniture is more than okay. The bathrooms are nice, but very small, and the towels are noticeable old. The carpets aren't particularly clean, and the windows barely open. Who wants to miss out on that Santa Monica breeze?! The room service menu is lacking, at best, although what's actually on it is pretty good.
The one thing that really turned me off was the bait-and-switch move they pulled. I booked a single bed room with a beach view. I was put in a double room with a street view. When I inquired at the front desk, they said they did me a favor because the only single bed room (bigger) with a beach view was right below the bar/lounge and would be noisy til 2am. As it turns out, my friend (there with me) had the same switch pulled on him and said he'd take the "noisy" room. It wasn't noisy at all. Whether it was good-natured or not, it gave us the impression that the hotel was trying to fill the worse rooms first, and they fooled us (and overcharged) in the process.
With nicer and less expensive hotels nearby, I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you paid for. No matter where they put you at first. Get a beach view...