Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.com$198
Hotels.com$198
Priceline$198
eDreams$198
Orbitz.com$198
Trip.com$217
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed September 6, 2016

Hi just left the calmar on our way to San Fran stayed for 5 nights sept 1 until 6 sept , great budget hotel yes it is dated as a 50s style motel and yes it is , but what you get is a very very clean room and a lovely pool ,all the staff worked very hard and always had a smile for you,location? 2 mins from the sea front 4 mins from all the shops and 3 rd street promanard it's set in a very nice area of Santa Monica , the reception staff were very helpful ,we asked Sam how to get to n
Universal studios as we had no idea he made it so easy to get there on the tube metro and back with ease thank you Sam, we went to hollywood and Beverly Hills and all the sights in Los Angeles we were going to go by public transport but we were advised by the lady on the reception desk not to as la is huge she advised to go on the hop on hop off bus and boy was she Wright we seen loads of la and more no way you can do it on public transport, thank you the nice lady with the long dark hair.the hotel has only 36 rooms and has e very friendly feel the pool is a great place to chat to people, the rooms are a bit dated but huge and very nice and clean . To top it of stay here if your not to fussy but if you like the big hotel chain it's not for you . I'll recommend this hotel ,don't stay in la stay in Santa Monica its buitifull.

Room tip: Pool view and 2nd or 3rd floor
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Douglas N, General Manager at Cal Mar Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2016

We do strive to make you stay with us an enjoyable one. We appreciate your comments.

Reviewed September 2, 2016 via mobile

Firstly, I have rated this as 'terrible' purely because the hotel billed me twice for my stay. This shouldn't happen or be allowed to happen, and I see from other reviewers that it has happened before. Be very careful if you pay by credit card or debit card at this hotel.
I stayed for two nights and paid using a preloaded cash card. Two days later the hotel put a hold on my card for the same amount plus another $20. This meant I couldn't use that cash for other purposes and have had to use other more expensive cards for the rest of my holiday. The good bit is that the hotel refunded the card quickly after I flagged it up with them, and apologised but I have incurred extra costs and hassle when it was no fault of mine.
Other than this experience the hotel is spacious and the rooms we had were once very elegant and high end accommodation - probably about 50 years ago. They are brilliantly located just a couple of blocks from the pier, but are very dated. The area can be very noisy at night too, so ear plugs would be sensible.
Didn't use the pool but it looked nice, but the overall impression is basic but well placed, and reasonable value assuming you only pay once!

Trip type: Traveled with family

We never bill twice but when I looked at your account I see that it was an authorization and not a charge, the + $20.00 in the authorization is always for any incidentals that might incur such as phone calls or wifi. I am pleased that the staff jumped on any mistake and corrected it.

Reviewed August 26, 2016

We stay a king suite room, has kitchen including refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. Our room has nice size of a balcony, just like one bed room apartment!! Grate location on the quiet street. Clean room. I has everything I wanted. The front desk was very nice. I will definitely stay here when I come back Santa Monica!

Room tip: One bed suite room
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank mayE76ZF

Thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed August 20, 2016 via mobile

This place was booked by an agent on our behalf- we were 2 couples travelling through California and were supposed to have 4 nights here for some down time. We thought we had 2 rooms, then realised upon check in that we had one apartment - not ideal but we thought again we had 2 rooms - nope - there were 2 smaller than double beds in one bedroom and a sofa bed in lounge. Considering both couples were celebrating anniversary/honeymoon this wasn't ideal. Reception staff thought after we had seen the room we would be OK, unfortunately the room smelt very musty, too many carpet stains (probably where the smell came from) and with the room being towards the back and had been in the sun all day it was hot (there is no air conditioning). Fortunately, after insisting if there were any other rooms that had not been checked into, there was another room that had a king size bed (at least one couple had a room and bed to fit). Other downside was the room being on the ground floor near the pool-on our last morning the older couple next door woke several people at 5.30 with their TV so loud (did speak with them) they they proceeded to shout at each other for the next 45mins - must have been hard of hearing or just rude! We were able to contact the agent and move hotels for the 3rd and 4th night, reception staff were also helpful in sorting this.

On the plus...great location for the Pier, beach, shops, bars and restaurants.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2016 via mobile

I had a pleasant stay since everything was conveniently close. The Third Street Promenade, beach and Santa Monica Pier , however at the end I didn't realize they also charge you $31.00 per day to park your vehicle. No one explained this up front which I didn't appreciate.

Date of stay: August 2016

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. The parking fees are listed when you make your reservation, sign your check in slip where we have you initial and when you receive the parking pass. We are no different than any other hotels in Santa Monica or anywhere else in the US, parking is very limited on the streets and most hotels charge for parking.