“great location doesnt make up for BEDBUGS!!”
Review of Bayside Hotel

Bayside Hotel
Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
NYC
“great location doesnt make up for BEDBUGS!!”
Reviewed November 14, 2008

For any price no one should wake up with a bedbug on their pillow and bits allover their body.
I stayed in room 101, and woke up with a few bites, i thought it was a little strange -it was a bit cold outside for mesquitos.
After the second night of being here I didnt sleep. I stayed up all night with all the lights on looking at new bites and for new the bedbugs themselves! Since my business is right around the corner Im still here. Im being switched to another place in the morning.

Any pluses cant make up for this.

I will update this entry after I speak to managment.
By the way, I have the dead bodies of bedbugs I killed in a ziplock bag!
Check out the pics of a few of my bites!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bedbugs
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
BaysideHotel, Management at Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2008
Dear BittenandTired,

We already spoke to you while you were staying with us. There were and there are no bed bugs in this room, nor the other room we moved you to. Orkin, a nationwide pest and termite control company which services this hotel on a frequent basis even checked your rooms and yet found no bed bugs. I do have this certified from Orkin and will upload it onto the picture section and gladly send it to you or any of our guests that might read this.

Furthermore, the gentlemen who paid for your room and also stayed in the same room with you, extended his stay to over a week and is currently still staying with us, said he was never bitten nor saw any bed bugs in the room.

I am sorry that you did not find your stay at the beach more
enjoyable.

For anyone else reading this review:

We look forward to welcoming you to Bayside and we are always available for any potential guest who may have questions about our little hotel on the beach. My staff and I are ready to be of service at 310 396 6000.

If there is anything we can answer for you, please give us a call or email us at info@baysidehotel.com.

General Manager of the Bayside Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I was disappointed when I checked in to this hotel as the rooms were in serious need of an update. It felt like a shabby motel with peeling walls and a worn carpet. On the surface the room and bathroom appeared relatively clean, but I didn't feel particularly comfortable sleeping there nor taking a shower. I also note previous review comments about needing the windows open for ventilation during the night due to the lack of airconditioning. I would have preferred to have stayed in the Venice Beach area, even though it is not renowned for being quite so up market, as for the same rate you can definitely find a much higher standard of accommodation.
We chose to eat on third street for both nights of our stay and this was at least a 15 minute walk from the motel, which wasn't particularly convenient. We managed to find a space in the carpark but had difficulty in maneouvering as it was overfilled. I would not stay here again.
On the positive side the hotel was within two minutes walk to the beach and the staff at the front desk were helpful and friendly.

• Liked — Easy access to beach
  • Disliked — Shabby decor and long walk to resaurants/shops
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
BaysideHotel, Manager at Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2008
Dear PWX,

first of all thank you for your review, we always appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback in order to improve our services and accommodations.
Now let me address your concerns. As already stated in some of my other responses to our guests, the Bayside Hotel changed ownership this year and we have been finalizing our planing to renovate and update the hotel, but even though it is a bit outdated, we take great pride in our cleanliness and customer service.
As far as your walk to the Third Street Promenade, our hotel is in a more quiet area of Santa Monica and not right on the main traffic road by the Pier and Third Street and closer to the beach than any other properties in our price range and Main Street, which is only a block behind us offers many dining and shopping options also. Furthermore Santa Monica offers the "Tide Shuttles" which picks up directly across the hotel and runs every 15 minutes through Santa monica stopping at every major location/few blocks so visitors can hop on and off whenever they choose to.
As far as parking, when our hotel is sold out our lot can be quite crowded but after reviewing our guest's feedback, we chose to rather offer free parking and fill up every space in our lot than charge between $10-$20 a night as other hotels do.
I hope you never the less enjoyed our California weather, beaches and ocean. And should you come to Santa Monica again, maybe have a look at our hotel website to see if all renovations have been completed and you may be able to then enjoy a great location, new rooms and the still friendly customer service.
Thank you again for leaving feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Monica hotels

London
Reviewed October 29, 2008

We stayed at Bayside for 3 nights in Septmeber 2008 and we enjoyed our stay. The hotel is very close to the beach and pier, but if I were to go to Santa Monica again I think I would prefer to stay nearer to the 3rd Street Promenade for the restaurants and atmosphere at night - the walk over to the 3rd Street Promenade every time you wanted to eat got a little annoying and didn't feel that safe.

The rooms were a good size and clean but a bit tatty round the edges (but nothing to worry about). The bathroom was small, but clean. We appreciated the table, chairs and fridge in the room. The lack of air con was not a problem in September. Parking was very difficult so once we got a space we then avoided moving the car and got the bus which was fine by us. All in all we had a lovely stay.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear TanyaBLondon,

I am glad you enjoyed your time in Santa Monica and with us here at Bayside. I understand what you mean about walking to the 3rd Street Promenade but can assure you that I have lived in Santa Monica for almost 3 years now and have never had an issue with security, but, as always better be safe than sorry, so next time make sure you have one of the front desk agents give you a plan for the Tide Shuttle, which picks up directly across from Bayside and circles around Santa Monica every 15 minutes (not sure if this is what you meant by bus or not?)

Also, should you choose to come back, have a look around Main Street, only a block behind us, which has lots of cafes, shopping, restaurants and bars for you to enjoy as well.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback, we really appreciate it.

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Balcony Views are wonderful & is close to the Beach & Santa Monica Pier.

Needs a remodel badly, although cleaning crew does a great job.

To cool off at night, windows have to be open - these are the old crank out 50's style, I didn't feel secure.

Parking is terrible- A GEM car is almost too big for their parking!

• Liked — Balcony
  • Disliked — Old needs a remodel they stille use keys.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Dear longljl,

I am glad you enjoyed our views and the Santa Monica beaches. As far as the remodel, since we just bought the Bayside Hotel middle/late spring this year, we're just finalizing the details on the remodel and will then start to give the whole property a complete facelift :) All very exciting as I agree, some of the furniture is a bit outdated, but we keep it clean and take great pride in our customer service.

About the parking situation, next time you have difficulty please come and see me, we do have the drive way ( room for 2 parking spaces) in front of the hotel which we can always assign to oversized vehicles.

About our guests safety: Even though Santa Monica is a very safe area, we do want every guest to feel secure and believe in the "better be safe than sorry approach". Therefore we have 2 overnight people who patrol the complex, installed security doors towards the courtyard (not sure if you came before or after this) and are also in the process of putting in a video surveillance system. Once more, since we're a fairly new management here at Bayside we couldn't change everything over night but are working on fixing issues our guests have brought up in reviews like yours.

So on this note, thank you for taking the time to write us and give us a chance to improve our services even more. Maybe next time you're in Santa Monica you can come by and have a look at the "new and improved Bayside".

Warm Greetings from the beach :)

berlin
Reviewed October 5, 2008

stayed at the bayside for 30 days because of business reasons. great location - just 1 minute to the beach - some rooms with seaview. very good service, always friendly, always fresh coffee and towels, very helpful. the room had a small patio with a table and chairs. its nice to sit outside in such a sunny location - i used to chill there a lot... the room was a bit old - from the furniture to the old worn out carpet - needs to be renovated.
september was the perfect season - beach got emptier througout the time i was there but it was still warm enough for flipflops.

• Liked — service, location
  • Disliked — worn out carpet & furniture
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank icke_travel
Dear icke_travel,

it looks like you did not only visit California, but truly got to know the "California-laid back-lifestyle" ;-)
I am really glad you enjoyed your experience and will pass your compliments about the service on to our staff, as they work very hard for our guests. And I agree, September is a beautiful time to visit...it's still warm but the big tourist rush is already over.

And I have some more good news for you, we are just finishing up the plans to renovate all rooms, so next time you come you will be enjoying the "almost-all new Bayside" but with the same great service and location.

Thanks again and hope to see you again soon - or in German "Vielen Dank und bis bald"

Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed October 3, 2008

This place really needs an upgrade and it is overpriced. We had a double room in the garden for two nights. One side of the room was facing the backyard parking and a very noisy street. Bring your ear plugs.

I do see in previous comments from the manager that they are working on upgrading, but an easy thing to start with should be to change out the curtains. They are white, thin curtains so bring your eye mask.

Be aware that their internet page advertise with free parking, but we never got a spot there and had to park on the street and pay for it (free during the night).

The bathroom is very old and also has an unpleasant smell, but seemed clean and the shower was OK.

The beds were also good, but I think it is about time they change out the bed covers...

The safety of the room can also be questioned. The door and the lock seem easy to break. And the maid also leaves the window open. There is no safe in the room. We decided to drag around our passport and papers when we were not in the room.

The service at the front desk can also be improved. When checking in the person hardly said a word, did not smile and was not helpful at all when we asked for the parking. Hence we did avoid the front desk until we checked out.

The location is OK and it is nice walking on the beach towards the pier and the promande.

If you can afford it I would stay at some other hotel ranked higher on TripAdvisors list.

If you are trying to save money, and just need a bed, and a place where you can shower, and with some luck park your car, this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
BaysideHotel, Management at Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2008
Dear Pippi2,

first of all let me thank you for your review, it is, as we always say very important for us to get feedback from our guests.
As you already read and we already stated before, we are almost done planing our renovations and will start before this year is over and have already started on some minor changes, so curtains, carpeting has already been replaced in some rooms and will continue to be replaced in others as we go along :)

As far as security is concerned, Santa Monica is a safe area, but as always the "better be safe than sorry approach" is what we believe in so we have 2 overnight agents that patrol the hotel complex, we installed security doors towards the garden area and will also install a video surveillance system. We could have also kept your passports at the front desk, but I understand that you did not feel like speaking to our agents anymore after your first encounter, which brings me to my next response.

We take great pride in providing good customer service and I apologize for the unpleasant experience you have had with one of our agents. This is certainly not the standard the Bayside Hotel has set and I can assure you it has been addressed already.

Should you plan another trip to Santa Monica in the future we would appreciate a 2nd chance and by then hopefully have our new and improved Bayside Hotel ready for you. Also feel free to contact me directly to make your booking so I can assure you are well taken care of.

Dublin
Reviewed September 26, 2008

Decided to book a hotel for our first night in LA and met by a closed reception and then a very grumpy if ignorant man to check us in.

Room below average near nothing other then the beach nothing near by in terms of amenities had to walk 20 minutes to find a cafe for breakfast.

Lucky we sayed only 1 night hostel in venice beach (Cotel) 10 times better

• Liked — The exit
  • Disliked — Location and staff
  • Stayed September 2008