“Lovely”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, UK
“Lovely”
Reviewed October 15, 2006

This is a truly lovely hotel with a fascinating past. I would definitely recommend it. Very clean, with brand new bathroom.
My only criticism was the lack of any complimentary breakfast facilities, obviously to encourage people to pay for the rather expensive breakfast on offer on the verandah. Having travelled for three weeks throughout california and stayed mostly in motels which offered at least orange juice, cereal and pastries, it was disappointing to end our trip in such an expensive hotel which offered nothing. However, this did not particularly alter our impression of the hotel which was generally excellent.

Stayed October 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Hebrew first
Dublin
Reviewed October 11, 2006

Myself and my girlfriend Suzanne stayed here for a week in August.I
actually
booked it because of its ratings on this website.
The reason I picked this hotel was because of price and the location
which
were both excellent.
It really is in a brilliant location and you are within a couple of
blocks
from everything.
I found all the staff really help.... except for most of the desk
staff!!!
Whenever I asked to use the internet(which is free for first 15mins
everyday) I was made fell as though I was asking for a pound of flesh.
Also on one occasion I asked directions to a famous place of interest
and
how I could get there, using public transport.
If I had asked the girl to poke her eye's out with a spoon,she would
looked
as less inconvienced!!!!!!
These were the only times that I used the front desk and I would advise
people staying here to use the Information Centre across the
street,which
will help you out with a smile!!!!.
The hotel itself is quaint although I did get a musty smell from time
to
time.
Overall really nice but for me nearer to a 3 than a 5 but its location is what tips the scales.

• Liked — The view from the Verandah
  • Disliked — The desk staff
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Setanta1971
London
Reviewed October 8, 2006

We have just returned from a two week holiday in California. The first four nights were spent at this hotel.

On arrival the Valet staff parked our car in what we thought would be a secure car park; however, we found it had been parked round the back of the building the next morning when looking out of the window. If you have time its certainly worth looking for somewhere else to park your car especially if it is your own car!

Our room was clean and nicely decorated although a little on the small side. The reception staff were very efficient and the porters very friendly. The hotel is in a fantastic location right by the pier. We would definitely recommend at least four nights in this hotel to experience the location fully. We have experienced both ocean view and back of building views; the rooms are exactly the same.

This was our second stay at this hotel this year so we had a good idea of where we wanted to visit; on this trip we visited the Venice Canals which are absolutely beautiful; Venice Beach, and Universal Studio’s. On our last holiday we did the Hollywood Tour and Stars Homes Tour with Starline Tours of Hollywood, which was a great way to see LA. If you are an English person reading this review you will need to come to terms with the fact that Americans give you a tip calculator and expect to receive 20% of the price you pay for tours; came as a bit of a shock to us but if you know beforehand you just accept it and don’t let it spoil what is a fantastic holiday.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Mini bar only; no fridge
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hemel
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2006

I researched hotels in the Santa Monica area extensively and chose the Georgian based on the reviews on this site. In summary it more than lived up to high expectations, now the detail....
We booked a suite at the back of the hotel and requested a high floor. We were given a suite on the top floor but had to wait beyond the normal check in time to get access. No problems, it was our choice, we could have had a lower level room immediately, there's lots to do near the hotel - the pier, shopping etc. Amazing value, a two room suite for a lot less than most good hotels charge for a single room. The room was extremely well appointed, clean and reasonably quiet. The Georgian is on a busy road, so if you want the ocean view, you may get some street noise.
Valet parking was well organised, we prefer self parking but it was easy to access the car when we wanted it.

• Liked — Value for money, quality fitout, space
  • Disliked — Valet parking
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank JodieTravel01
Ohio
Reviewed August 29, 2006

There is absolutely nothing bad I can say about this hotel. I've stayed at a lot of updated boutique hotels, and this is by far one of the best. The bathrooms have been recently updated and new carpet throughout the rooms and the halls. The veranda and lobby are absolutely charming and the staff was always very courteous and helpful. So the elevator is a little old and slow -- that's all part of the charm. There is a service elevator that is also available to guests.

We had a room on the 6th floor overlooking the Santa Monica Bay & Mountains, and didn't have to pay extra for an ocean view hotel since the room wasn't directly facing the bay. The room was near the front of the hotel and on the north side and in addition to the great view, didn't really hear any noise other than an occasional barking dog staying in the hotel.

Free internet access is available each day on the hotel's computer, which is great for checking daily email and printing boarding passes. 15 minutes each day is free of charge. It's my understanding that they also have free internet access for those having their own laptops.

The location is perfect. Across the street from Palisades Park and the beach and a very short walk to the Santa Monica Pier. The Third Street Promenade is a short 2 block walk which is mostly a pedestrian only shopping/dining area for approx. four blocks. There are numerous outdoor seating areas at the restaurants and street musicians play pretty much every day and evening. With the exception of early morning and late late night, there is always a lot going on at the Third Street Promenade.

One place I visited frequently and highly recommend is the Ye Olde Kings Head British Pub just around the corner on Santa Monica Blvd. They have a daily (weekdays) happy hour from 4:00 - 7:00 with discounted beer and appetizer prices. The appetizers are half price and very tasty All of the food I ate there was really good, including the breakfast. If you're a soccer fan, this is the place to be. They open early whenever any big soccer match is being played and beer is available at 6:00 am I was there one morning at 7:30 and another at 5:30, and really enjoyed myself watching the live soccer games with all the other soccer fans. Raul the Irish bartender is great

The only drawback is that the hotel does not have a pool or bar. They do have a lobby type bar from approx. 3:00 to 9:00, but I personally prefer an actual bar. There are plenty of bars in the area so that wasn't really an issue and certainly would not keep me from staying again. Only ate at the hotel once and wasn't all that impressed with the food, but there are plenty other options in the immediate area, so once again this isn't something that would keep me from staying again.

One other thing to consider is the number of homeless people in the area. It's my understanding that the city is very welcoming to the homeless, but nearly all I encountered didn't really bother you. Most simply had signs asking for money or would quiety ask for change when you walked past them. This didn't bother me in the least, but if homeless people are an issue with you, you might want to stay in another area.

I spent a week at the Georgian and it was one of the most enjoyable trips I've had, and I've traveled a lot. Stay there and you won't be disappointed

• Liked — The decor and location.
  • Disliked — The lack of an actual bar.
  • Tips/Secrets — You don't need a car unless you're planning to travel away from the area. Everything you could want is nearby.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
5 Thank CeceliaBee
Boston
Reviewed August 27, 2006

Our family of four stayed in a two room suite over spring break. It was terrific. The kids had plenty of room to spread out -- and so did we. The hotel was charming with very accommodating staff. Yes, the elevator is old ---and incredibly lovely! It is wood paneled and they don't make them like that anymore. I say if you want to relax (slow down!) and take in the Pier, the ocean and all that the area has to offer, you really cannot choose a better place.

• Liked — Location, Charm, Size of the rooms
  • Disliked — The tiny one cup coffee makers in the rooms!
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank bosoh
Novara, Italy
Reviewed August 25, 2006

The Georgian Hotel is a good mix if you want a beautiful and comfortable hotel and don't want to spend a lot of money. In addition, if you book on the website you will save more money!
The room is big and clean, bathrooms are new and the position in Santa Monica is perfect! Also having morning breakfast on the veranda is a great experience! Definitely, we loved it!

• Liked — the veranda and the ocean view
  • Tips/Secrets — having breakfast in the veranda