“Didn't live up to expectations”
Review of The Georgian Hotel

The Georgian Hotel
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 2, 2005

Decided to book the Georgian having read reviews on Trip Advisor where it was ranked No 1 in Santa Monica. It was a little more expensive than we had planned for but from the comments thought it would be worth it. Unforetunately it did not live up to expectations. Whilst I have no particular complaints, it was a perfectly pleasant hotel with helpful staff and well located, I did not feel it justified the cost. On a general note Third Street Promenade does not come alive until the weekend! I did read some comments about the amount of homeless people in the area and there were a lot but would agree with others comments that they were not threatening in any way.

3  Thank Giles49
Write a ReviewReviews (2,414)

A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary, AB.
Reviewed May 29, 2005

My friend and I have just returned home from our stay at the Georgian Hotel. We arrived on May 20th and left on May 29th. I can't say enough good things about both the staff and the hotel. The hotel is an historic building and is kept in magnificient condition. The wooden walls in the elevator are absolutely beautiful! Our room was located on the second floor right beside the elevator. I was concerned that the noise from the eleator would distrube us but we never did hear anything. The beds are wonderful with beautiful crisp white linen that is changed daily regardless of how long you are staying. When we arrived back to our room every eveining the beds were turned down, chocolates were left on each pillow, the curtens were drawn and the ice bucket was always filled. (Thanks Rose). We never left or entered the hotel without being greeted by all employes with "good morning or good evening". They were always helpful and when we asked for their assistance they went out of their way to get information for us. Once we had a problem with the toilet in our room. We called the front desk and the maitenance man was there within five minutes to fix the problem. Breakfast on the veranda was really good and gave us a chance to enjoy the ocean view and to people watch too! The hotel is located directly across from the beach and the Santa Monica Pier is about a block away. Walking to the Third Street Prominade takes no more than five minutes. It is really convenient to everything including city busses. I would highly recommend a stay at this stately, beautiful hotel. It's well worth the money and for the price better than any others that are price comparable. One last thing, as two female guests we felt very secure staying at the hotel because they took every precaution to ensure hotel safety such as doors leading onto floors required a keycard to enter.
Thanks to the Georgian and staff for a wonderful holiday!

• Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 23, 2005

The Georgian Hotel was wonderful! My fiance & I stayed there for 5 nights over Labor Day weekend. Talk about charming! We loved the attentiveness of the staff; the valets, the front desk staff, the lobby bartender, the housekeeping staff - everyone was polite and on top of things.

I was 26 yrs old at the time of my stay and I loved everything about the hotel. (This is in response the person who said not to stay there if you're under 40 - what a terrible thing to say for those of us under 40 who are impressed by true historical landmarks!)

The history behind the hotel makes it an even more interesting historical landmark...not only is the Georgian Hotel one of the original hotels built on Ocean Avenue (for the original owner's sweetheart, I believe), it was a playground for movie stars and gangsters alike! I was told that during the prohibition when police used to do raids, party-goers at the Georgian Hotel used to hide out in the many secret closets in the lower level of the hotel (which is currently a restaurant where hotel guests can have breakfast and businesses can use it as luncheon or break-out session space).

We stayed in a suite room where the earthtone colors and fabircs were soothing and welcoming. Cold ice was delivered to our suite every evening. The bathroom ammenities were better than those found at most major hotel chains. I found the bathroom to be quite charming with the old tile and little "Georgie" rubber ducky awaiting us on the side of our tub (we took him home, of course) There wasn't enough space in the bathroom for all of my "girlie" stuff, but I made do. It is my understanding that the staff at the Georgian are anxious to renovate or update their bathrooms, but are heavily restricted by the Historical Hotel group that they fall under.

Breakfast at the Georgian was AMAZING. We didn't want to have breakfast anywhere else. Some mornings we ordered room service and other mornings we ate on the veranda.

The veranda was by far our favorite ammenity at the Georgian Hotel. We loved that it was exclusive to hotel guests only. Each day, we returned from a sun-drenched day at the beach and had drinks during happy hour on the veranda while we enjoyed the soft breeze coming off of the ocean. The veranda is also a great place to relax and read the local paper or do a little people watching.

I can not say enough nice things about the Georgian Hotel. If I had to sum it up in one word it would be "Charming." I travel for a living and I was very pleased with spending my liesure travel time at the Georgian Hotel. The next 4 nights of our 10 day vacation was spent in Las Vegas - We love Vegas and visit it often, but we wish we never left the Georgian and Santa Monica...

The Georgian is a classy, clean, true piece of Santa Monica history. If that's what you're looking for, then the Georgian Hotel is for you!

• Stayed: September 2004
5  Thank QueenOfVacations
Reviewed May 10, 2005

After reading all of the glowing reviews on this site and some others my boyfriend and I thought this would be a great place to stay for a day in Santa Monica. Boy were we WRONG. Upon arriving in time for check in we were informed that our room would not be ready for another hour. (Not exactly something you want to hear after paying $200+ for a King room). We were annoyed but amiable and waited the hour. We got back to the hotel and were told the room we PAID for was still not ready. They offered us a handicapped room and then finally we took a room with two Queen beds in it. Annoyed and tired of arguing with the concierge we decided to go to the room. It was nothing more than an apartment converted into a hotel room. "Historic" is nothing more than an excuse to charge more money. The bathroom was tiny and VERY old fashioned. The shower curtain was barely long enough to cover the bathtub. The rugs in the bedroom were stained and old. The bedsheets (two beds mind you) both had stains and were so starchy that they were grimy. Hello, time to invest some money in this hotel and replace EVERYTHING. A complete waste of money and time. Dont even bother staying here if you are under 40 years old. You WILL be disappointed and you won't feel nostalgic about the grossness. Splurge for a higher class boutique hotel or stay in LA. Location is not everything. That being said... they did give us free parking after we told them how much we hated their hotel. Whoop de do.

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank ItsLizD
Reviewed May 8, 2005

I booked this hotel for my last night on my trip to California. I booked it purely because of the reviews on THIS website!

I don't know where to start! Me and my sister got the wrong room we requested, the lift did'nt work, so you had to get your lugguge up flights of stairs! You really had to get your point across before the staff would bother to help you! An hour later we eventually got moved to the room we ordered.

We stayed out of the hotel as much as we could that night, as it was making us depressed being anywhere near it. It was not worth the price at all! I found the hotel old and shabby!

Breakfast was another joke, my sister ordered a coffee which took over 20 mins to arrive. It really did remind me of the TV series Faulty Tours. On top of that, the so called restaurant is so small you are on top of everyone! They only do breakfast, so forget trying to get food any other time of the day!

The best feeling was leaving it! I can 100% say I would not stay in this hotel in Santa Monica again if you paid me!

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank johnjames86
Reviewed March 21, 2005

The Georgian couldn't be any better. We went with our kids 9 & 14 and the staff couldn't have been any more accomidating. They are friendly, helpful, etc. The place is amazing. We are frequent travelers and have never had a better hotel breakfast. The location is great. Get the suite. There are specials on their website. GO!!!!

1  Thank travelin'bunch
A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed March 16, 2005

We recently stayed here for the second time, and it was as pleasurable an experience as it was the first time around. I'm always tempted to wait for a second stay to comment (good or bad) in case I just happened to visit on a particularly good or bad day!

For us, part of the joy of staying at The Georgian is the small, intimate nature of the place. But that doesn't mean the rooms are small. We stayed in a suite and it was large and beautifully appointed, with lovely French doors between the bedroom and the living area. We wondered if (given the hotel's onetime reputation as a Hollywood getaway) Loretta Young ever swished through the doors!

One of the high points for me here is the breakfast. I can't say enough about the quality of the food and the fun of sitting on the front porch, looking out across the way at the Pacific on a cool California morning. I recommend the poached eggs with lobster sauce. Unbelieveable!

A couple of sour notes; We thought the front desk staff was a bit stuffy and cold. I don't like cloying service, but they were just stiffs. In fact, one of them dressed-down a service person right in front of me. VERY bad form, no matter what the person did. And the funny thing is, we felt like the staff, from the engineers to waiters, were all warm and wonderful. THEY should give lessons to the front...

The other bitter bit is the noise from the hotel's elevators. They have two, one is automatic, while the other is run (for most of the day) by an actual operator (which can be fun for kids...and those of us old enough to remember when that was normal) The problem is, you can hear the motors and mechanisms stopping and starting in your bedroom. It's been pretty clear to us, even though we've been in two different rooms. I don't know if the hotel can do anything more to isolate the sound, but they ought to try.

But I can't say enough about the overall experience here...and the beauty of the building, which is a real art deco gem.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member