“Delightful Stay”

The Georgian Hotel
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We spent a delightful two days at this charming 1930s-era hotel. The rooms are small, but you expect that in an older hotel. However, thoughtful retro-fitting, especially in the bathroom, afforded all the conveniences one would expect in a modern building. The quirky elevator that some have mentioned, and the stairs that exit on every floor, only added to the charm. The location at Ocean Ave and Santa Monica Blvd can't be beat - right across from Palisades Park and a block and a half from the Santa Monica Pier - and our ocean view was mesmerizing. The veranda is perfect for an afternoon cocktail, people-watching and socializing with other guests. It seems to be a gathering place for locals as well as hotel guests. We also had breakfast and dinner on the veranda, and both meals were top-notch and good values. The staff may be the best part of the stay, though. They were without exception super-friendly, thoughtful and accommodating. The valet service was prompt, even in the wee hours. We were most pleased with our choice and will stay here again when we visit LA.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Walter G

Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Close to The Santa Monica Pier & within easy walking distance to the beach and numerous restaurants and shops, this hotel has lots to offer. Staff is very customer-focused. Rooms are spacious and nicely furnished. Plenty of room for families.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 25, 2014

A hotel with lots of character and style in a great location. The lobby is full of deco pieces and it is great to sit and have a drink in the lounge and take it all in. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable and it is has a lovely boutique feel to it. The restaurant on the sidewalk is efficient and the breakfast options are a great way to start the day.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabethanne019
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We took our granddaughter on her fantasy trip to LA. We had a suite - queen sofa bed in the living room and large bedroom separated by French doors;Perfect for a touch of separation anxiety. We had lunch on the veranda - delicious. Pablo is a thoughtful waiter and so helpful.
The Hotel has been lovingly restored. Located right across from the Beach, we enjoyed the Santa Monica pier and walked the boardwalk. Wonderful restaurants are all over and the promenade is two blocks up. We also took the Rastabus tour of LA and it starts right across the street!

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank travelling-du0
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I don't want anyone to think this is not a gem of a hotel. Interesting history and quaintness are there for sure.
It's just always disappointing to me when I've visited a hotel before, when it was really nice and newly decorated. Forward 6 or so years later, and it seems nothing has been done to upkeep the furnishings and finishes in the guestrooms.
My daughter and I stayed in an upper level Ocean View Suite. As before the room is laid out very functionally and the view across Ocean Ave. of Santa Monica beach and Palisade Park is BEAUTIFUL, but walking into a musty dark room with threadbare furnishings and dirty carpet is so disappointing. They could have had the window open, AC on, something welcoming. The bell hop asked if everything was ok. I guess he sensed our lack of enthusiasm?
It was just such a let down from our visit before when everything was fresh.
Everyone we encountered staff wise was very nice and helpful.
Sitting in front of the large open picture window soaking in the breeze was intoxicating and memorable. Even with all the street noise.
Be aware that if you are a super light sleeper, that this is a very busy area of Ocean Ave. with buses and traffic. I'm a light sleeper, and it only bothered me one out of 6 nights. Traffic noise is something you have to put up with much of the time in Pacific view hotels in California. Again, if you don't mind it, the Veranda in front of the hotel is a nice place to eat or just hang out. Breakfast time is a little less noisy.
One final note, especially to those with small children:
This area of Santa Monica has one of the largest homeless populations I have ever seen. I guess the beautiful weather, many tourist with cash, and missions nearby all factor into this. It is sad to see so many for sure, and I'm sure there are many different stories here. However, when your walking home late at night (2 females), it's quite unnerving to have so many people approach you for money. However, the location is convenient to many good restaurants, Third street, and Santa Monica Place mall.
You don't need a car to get to them.
I'm not saying that I wouldn't stay here again, just not until they have refurbished their rooms.

Room Tip: The higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy H
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear Cindy H,

It was a pleasure to have, both you and your daughter, here with us. Your praise of our staff is appreciated. It is important to note that we continue to update / upgrade our guestrooms and suites as well as our public areas, on a regular basis.

We look forward to welcoming you back to share our hospitality and changes with you. Do not hesitate to contact me, with knowledge of your preference, we can enhance your experience.

Kind Regards,

Laura W.
Reservations@GeorgianHotel.com

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I stayed here for a birthday weekend and had a wonderful time . I got a last minute deal on their Ocean View Suite and I was not disappointed. This is a fun and beautiful hotel. The thing I loved about this hotel was that the room I had gotten looked exactly like the room that was shown on their website (Room 704). Far too often you see amazing photos on hotel websites but once you get there, the room you get does not live up to the expectations of the photographs seen. But, my room was just as lovely and had the amazing views shown in the photos on their website. Also, The Georgian is within walking distance of a lot of fun places including the Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, and of course the beach!

This hotel has great character, a fabulous staff and wonderful rooms. I would definitely stay here again when in Santa Monica.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank FlatowLeach
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This is a very nice boutique hotel right across the street from the beach. There are lots of restaurants and stores nearby and it's within a short walk of the Santa Monica pier. I do think it was overpriced, but I knew the price when I booked it, and the place was so unique. My room was huge! It was spotless and comfortable, and the amenities were very nice. The elevators are a hoot; they are tiny. I was greeted with great warmth by the staff and treated very well throughout my stay. The patio was under construction during my stay, but it was obviously a nice place to relax with some tapas and watch the crowd go by.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo