“Mostly Great Stay”

Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Mostly Great Stay”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at The Georgian over Labor Day weekend, and our stay was pretty great, for the most part. The staff was very friendly. The rooms were well-appointed and spacious, with super comfortable beds and a nice mini-bar. The location is incredible, right across from the beach, and brunch on the terrace was delicious. The only cons were that the hotel has a lot of steps one needs to climb in order to enter and then go up to the elevator, and this can be difficult for some. Also, I wish that they had an real hotel bar. Drinks are only served at the tables and not after 10pm. Also, housekeeping was a bit sloppy. They broke a glass in our bathroom and left a hunk of broken glass on the floor. Luckily, we saw it before it caused any harm. I'm sure that was probably a fluke, though. Overall, I'd recommend The Georgian if you are young, healthy, and OK seeking out non-hotel nightlife.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anana216

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Hebrew first
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

A fun old style hotel fronting the beach in Santa Monica. It's been well renovated, the rooms are modern but the 1930's feel remains. In oh so trendy Santa Monica, CA it's fun to stay in a place that is centrally located, has the modern conveniences, a great location but hints of 1930's elegance. I'd recommend it.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Location Location Location. You can’t get a better location at that price range. Right on Ocean Avenue, across the famous Santa Monica Pier, across the beach, 2 blocks from Third Street Promenade and 15 min from Beverly Hills. Customer service was top notch. Yes it is $30 for valet to park your car...no other option. This is an 80 yr old hotel with a great feel. The 80 yr old elevator was smooth and an interesting experience. It is very well run, completely updated and well maintained. You must sit on the outdoor deck and people watch. Another must do is to bike ride to Venice beach. You can leave your car and baggage with them after you check out and explore. Absolutely loved Santa Monica and The Georgian Hotel. We will be back!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Colac, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed at the Georgian for three nights at the end of a marathon trip through Canada and the US. We loved the hotel the moment we walked into the lobby, it 1920 style and decor has been wonderfully preserved, as well as their 80 year old elevators which are still in great working condition. We stayed in a corner suite which was tastefully furnished and had lovely views of the beach, Santa Monica Pier (especially at night) and the beautiful sunsets.
Its prime location is great, close to restaurants and shopping malls with Santa Monica Boulevard just around the corner.

Room Tip: The view was very much a factor in our rating of this hotel and our overall satisfaction.
Green Features: Normal environmental practices were in place, as fare as linen was concerned.. Energy saving practices were also evident.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed there last week...
POSITIVE: GREAT LOCATION
Front desk: rudeness galore
There is a ramp they have to manually put up to enter hotel and go from lobby to elevator. We had a stroller and insted of them putting the ramp out they carried the stroller for us at check in only and from there everytime we entered or left we had to carry the stroller up and down the stairs. first bad mark.
We had requested a mini refridgerator and crib for the room, the fridge for our baby's milk and food. Well the fridge didn't work! We were told they had no others and had to wait until someone checked out the next day to get one and they felt offering to store it in the hotel's fridge was fine, I am sorry but I am not leaving my baby's bottles with strangers!!!!!!!!!!! So instead they gave us bags of ice to put in the mini fridge to make it cool until the next day. Nice eh? THIS FOR A LUXURY FAMILY FRIENDLY HOTEL????????????????????????
LAST: WE HEARD THE WOMAN NEXT STORE WITH HER PARTNER ALL NIGHT LONG ENJOHYING EACH OTHER'S COMPANY, HEARD EVERY MOAN, EVERY SCREAM.
COULD NOT WAIT TO CHECK OUT AND WILL NEVER GO BACK.

AWFUL AWFUL EXPERIENCE. THIS HOTEL IS NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY! THE STAFF IS RUDE AND UNACCOMIDATING. REALLY PATHETIC CONSIDERING WHAT WE PAID TO STAY THERE.

We loved Santa Monica and the Pier and Venice Beach AND THE PROMENADE. We did a lot during the day but iwth a small child we were at the hotel for 2 nights and it was too long. Will definitely stay elsewhere next time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Salgal7272
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I was in Santa Monica for business and I enjoyed my stay at this property. Certainly a bit dated, but with a good dose of old world charm and wonderfully updated rooms. The one difficult feature is parking. Outside of that, the location is hard to beat, near the beach and 3rd Street pedestrian mall.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rutman
Harvard, Illinois
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I just got back from a stay at the Georgian Hotel and could not be more pleased with my choice of hotel in Santa Monica. It is perfectly situated atop the Pacific Palisades with an amazing view of the ocean and the Santa Monica Pier.

This vintage hotel has a lot of character and I kept thinking, ‘if these walls could talk’. The Speakeasy is still intact and used for special events – Al Capone is said to have conducted business here. There are suites named after Clark Gable and Carole Lombard as they were just 2 of the hotels famous patrons. The elevators are solid mahogany, quite small (by today’s standards), very slow, they creak a little and depending on which one you’re in, you won’t even know what floor you are on until it stops. But that my friends, is part of the charm of The Georgian.

I opted for an Ocean View room, and mine was located on the 8th floor. I would suggest springing for one of these rooms if you can. I had read reviews that the rooms were small. I suppose they are a bit small, but no less so than a room you would find in New York City or other large cities. I found my room to be quite adequate and the furnishings just fine. I would like to not have a refrigerator that has those “spring loaded” items so you could remove what is already there, and put your own item in, then replace the hotel’s offerings. I was told that if I wanted one, they could provide a refrigerator upon request. I don’t know if there was a charge as I didn’t ask.

The windows open in the room which is always a plus. There was also a ceiling fan over the bed as well as an individual thermostat in the room. I found the room to be very comfortable in terms of temperature.

I also read reviews complaining of the street noise. I never understand why people make complaints like this. If you are staying in a hotel, that is facing a street, there is going to be some street noise! Common sense people! Stay somewhere else if that is a problem for you, don’t give a bad review of the hotel because of that. I found that if I closed my window, I could barely hear any outside noise.

Someone mentioned that they did not provide complimentary shampoo, hair conditioner, hand cream, and shower gel, but rather there were large bottles placed in the shower/bath and on the bathroom sink. True. So if you don’t want to use what is provided in these large pump style bottles? Bring your own. As far as bar soap, there was a bar provided for use at the sink. Again, if you want soap for the shower/tub, I would suggest bringing your own. Although, I have a feeling if you requested an additional bar, you would be provided with one. There were more than enough towels provided, lighting was adequate, and the water pressure was adequate as well.

The Veranda is quite a nice spot to sit and people watch, or have a drink and/or eat. I only ate there once, having their cheeseburger which was very good. The Veranda always seemed to be crowded, so I am guessing that the rest of the food is good as well.

As I said, the location is fantastic – overlooking the ocean and Santa Monica Pier. The Pier is 1 block away. The sunsets are breathtaking. The Palisades Ocean Walk across the street that extends I believe, for 3 miles is also very nice. The 3rd Street Promenade is 2 blocks away with all the shopping and eating venues that you can want. There are also several restaurants located all around the hotel. The public bus system is only $1.00 and you can catch several different lines right near the hotel. You can go to Los Angeles, Malibu, Venice to name a few, all for $1.00 each way. Not bad!

I must give a shout out to Melinda and Edwin on the hotel staff. They were so pleasant, friendly and always had a smile and a warm greeting every time I saw them. Or were willing to chat a bit, time willing. Everyone was very nice, but they stood out.

The only negative thing, and this is not a fault or comment against the hotel, is that the homeless are in the park across the street (aka the Palisades) and pretty much everywhere around the hotel. This is a problem in every city unfortunately, and certainly is no fault of the hotel. I simply point it out so that if it is something that bothers you, you are aware of it ahead of time.

If I were to return to Santa Monica, I would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Spring for an Ocean View Room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo