“Location, location, location!!!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“Location, location, location!!!!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We booked into this hotel to end our trip from Chicago to LA along Route 66. For those completing the trip this is the must stay at hotel, as it is possibly the only hotel standing from the era of Route 66, and is adjacent to a memorial marker for the end of the route.
The hotel is of traditional boutique style, and has a great veranda on which you can have your meals or just a relaxing drink whilst watching the populace of LA, LA Land pass by. The staff were excellent and met our every need with a smile and a kind word.
The only problem we had was on our second night, at around midnight, we were disturbed by other residents in an adjacent room. They were not overly noisy, but the sound carried dreadfully. This went on for about an hour before I called the reception and told them that this was a problem that they certainly would be aware of. Within minutes we heard a knock, and all went quiet.
Noise insulation seems to be a bit of a problem, but if you suffer this the staff WILL deal with it.
I would strongly recommend this hotel, and would stay again if visiting SM, despite the noise issue.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear trottersontour,

Route 66 and The Georgian, kind of go hand in hand. Thank you for finishing the trail with us. Nicknamed, "The First Lady of Santa Monica", we are celebrating her 80th Birthday this year.

It is our pleasure to serve and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, regardless of "the noise". We hope you will return.

Kind Regards,

Reservations@GeorgianHotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Hebrew first
lancaster
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The Georgian is undoubtedly a splendid hotel. The highlights and low lights for us were as follows:
Pros:
On arrival, two bell men rushed to our taxi to see if we were checking in and immediately helped with our bags. On check-in, there was very friendly and knowledgeable personnel. Some reception and bell staff always said 'Welcome back' when we returned to the hotel each day, this was a very nice touch. There is no fridge in the room, however, when questioned one was brought to us quickly at no charge. The suite was amazingly comfortable, large bathroom, larger lounge and huge bed. Breakfast was nice enough, however, not to all tastes (we are from overseas after all), The Monte Cristo (lightly battered ham toastie) really didn't hit the spot, too much soggy bread and not enough ham, complete waste of money.
Cons:
We really did miss not having some sort of outdoor relaxation area (pool, jaccuzzi or guest only terrace). It was labor weekend and Santa Monica was heaving to the point of uncomfortable, fire engines on the Pier and people exiting the pier in droves. If it were feasible, I would suggest a rooftop area which only guests could enjoy and put a jaccuzzi in, that would serve much more purpose than the gym, which I never saw anyone use - the clientele is not particularly of that ilk and besides plenty exercise along the prom in Santa Monica, if they are serious about keeping fit. After a long day, we returned to the hotel, looking forward to enjoying a quiet drink on the front veranda terrace, it was 10.10pm, the waitress said they stopped serving at 10pm and we should use our minibar in our room. I did not want to be told to go to my room like a naughty child, I thought our hotel was there to enjoy, the night was still young and the rest of Santa Monica was lively. I was disgusted that there was no drinks facility for guests, I'm on holiday, why would I want to go to bed early, just so I could enjoy a drink? 10pm is way too early to stop serving drinks to hotel guests downstairs. We were there for 6 nights, on the fourth evening, I got in a bath only to realise our bath mat had disappeared. I was very disappointed at this, firstly because of the health and safety issue and secondly, why on earth would the maid remove the bath mat, had I done something to annoy her, it does make you wonder! I did have to also leave the maid a polite note each day, to leave the right kind of tea and extra sugar (which were not replenished automatically), I had no need for GREEN tea, it was a little annoying to have to leave a new note each day, otherwise I was subject to having to trapse to reception to swap it, as extras were $2 each, again a little steep I thought. The little things mean a lot and in some areas The Georgian really cut it and in others, I can see room for improvement.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank iceberg5
Encinitas, California
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a lovely boutique hotel located close to the beach, pier and downtown. We would of had a great sunset except it was cloudy. We could walk all along the beach, the pier and 5 minutes from downtown shopping. the breakfast was wonderful and we could sit outside even in november. I would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We arrived in the evening from a long flight so it was great to receive a warm welcome and good service. There were two ladies on the front desk who were very friendly and provided us with a lot of information and maps on the area without us even asking as well as providing an efficient check in. The delivery of bags to the room was prompt and the bell man was also very friendly and helpful with information. This gave us a great first impression of the hotel.
We had chosen an ocean view suite which was a lovely room with a nice view of the beach. We loved the decor in the room and throughout the hotel which gave a nostalgic feel while still having all the modern amenities such as wi fi. The location to the beach, pier and shops was also good.
We had breakfast and drinks on the patio which was relaxing with good food and service. Again the staff were always friendly and made us feel welcome. The signature cocktails were great.
This was the last two nights of a four week trip for us and was a great way to end our holiday before making the long journey home.

Room Tip: The ocean view suite has a separate living room and is a good large size room. The view is great and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JXXK
Dear JXXK,

All of our associates send there thanks, we are very proud to know that you enjoyed our service. A "Georgini" on the Veranda, a sunset - I too agree this is a nice way to wrap up a 4 week trip.

Wonderful to know that you enjoyed your suite!

Warm Regards,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed in another hotel during my trip but this was the alternative I considered and I don't think I would have gone far wrong if I had. I ate breakfast here and enjoyed a cocktail or two while watching Santa Monica walk passed, enjoying the weather.
Nice staff, good food, great view.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for four nights with my husand on our honeymoon trip .We had a sea view room and a view of Santa Monica Pier which was amazing .The bus tour stop for Los Angelus is right next to the hotel and there are loads of shops withing 5 minute walking distance .We are definetly going to return and stay here again .Also free wifi in hotel which is super fast .

Room Tip: pick a sea view room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joanneoc3
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear joanneoc3,

Greetings and Congratulations! Thank you for spending such a special occasion with us, we are honored. Looking forward to seeing you again, perhaps for an anniversary celebration?

Please do not hesitate to call on us when confirming your return.

Warm Regards,

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Los Angeles is one of my least favourite cities -- miles of freeways, strip malls, lousy housing districts, and carrying a high fear factor. All of the (self-declared) beautiful people strutting around makes for interesting people watching but the pretense and ostentatious wealth in parts of the city make it tough to take. The Georgian Hotel is a lovely oasis in the midst of this post-modern congestion. It is an older hotel, nicely restored and very appealing. The rooms and very nicely outfitted and extremely comfortable. The staff are helpful and eager to please. The location is lovely, too -- across the street from Santa Monica beach and a five minute walk to the Santa Monica pier. This, too, is one of LA's few redeeming feature -- a place where folks from across the city gather for a day/evening of community and inexpensive entertainment. The hotel is a tad expensive, but a wonderful break from the sterility of the rest of the city,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WhitehorseVancouver
Dear WhitehorseVancouver,

The Georgian Hotel and The City of Santa Monica have much to offer. We are pleased to have been a part of your wonderful break. There are many hidden oasis' in the city, thank you for finding ours.