“I'd rather have slept on the floor of a public restroom with lice”
Review of The Georgian Hotel

The Georgian Hotel
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“I'd rather have slept on the floor of a public restroom with lice”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The sand and surf and all around the pristine location in Santa Monica, make for an exceptionally great vacation. Business or pleasure, couples or families, you just can't really go wrong in this remarkably overpriced, yet, beautiful city. The Georgian Hotel reminded me of what hostels were like back in the olden days. Nice and tiny rooms with paper thin walls, smelling of moth ballish type grandma ish things. I spent most of my time out of there, as I chose to work in the sand and prey for wifi service than to sit around that stuffy lobby with rude staffing and lack of any "aura", overall. I thought to myself, it may have been my lack of comfortable sleep and the cost of parking that dipped into my stock portfolio that had me grumpy. In fact, it was all that, inclusive to the very uppity and catty staff that works there. Seemingly, their twiterbook lives were much more appealing than my need for simple customer service. I admit that it WAS better than being smothered in my sleep by the rooms last month down the street at the Hotel California. However, I should have bought a tent and crashed just steps away among the countless homeless population. Tip the staff in bitcoins if you must tip them to earn their attentions, as clearly they live on social network land, not our real one. Take a very disposable income to get by, as you will need it to park. Should I ever find cause for inspiration to script an overpriced stay while being treated like a leper, I know that the Georgian Hotel, with all of it's cracker boxy feel and self righteous, arrogant staff, will be there for me. As in all things, I find great comfort knowing this.

Room Tip: Pitch a tent across the street with the homeless and maybe you'll sleep better viewing your hote...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sarah M
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Sarah M,

Very sorry The Georgian Hotel did not meet your expectations. We are very proud of the service that our staff provides and the historical charm of of our property. Unfortunately you did not appreciate what we have to offer.

Thank you for alloying me to reply to your comments.

Regards,

Laura W
Reservations@GeorgianHotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Hebrew first
England
Reviewed August 14, 2013

If you want to stay on the seafront in Santa Monica this is a top contender for certain. Its position right on Ocean Avenue gives you immediate access to the seafront and pier, whilst being a stones throw from the 3rd St. Promenade with its abundance of shops and restaurants. We stayed for four nights in July 2013. We also used the hotel as a base to visit other places whilst in the LA area.

Our selection was principally based on finding an accommodation that would provide a single room for my wife, daughter and myself. On reflection this wasn't the best property for us to stay, we prefer more contemporary surroundings and the nostalgia of the 'art deco' period isn't to our particular taste. That said the property is clean and reasonably well maintained. The décor however did feel a little on the suppressive side. This is arguably in keeping with the theme so it should be considered subjective.

Some criticisms I read pervious to our stay referred to the speed of the elevators. To be fair I believe this is supposed to be part of the character charm and I don't consider it to be worthy of marking down as a result. The other comments centred on some of the room dimensions. We had a suite and the room was more than adequate in overall size, although it could have benefitted from more wardrobe space. Three of us travelled and the sofa-bed in the living area didn't dominate when unfolded. The bathroom was quite small. Again I believe one has to accept this as part of the buildings age and character. Small as it was the bathroom was kept clean and sufficiently stocked with towels and toiletries. Otherwise the room was reasonably well appointed with appropriate facilities and furniture.

Service was nearly right. Very warm, welcoming and polite staff that fell short on delivery in places. A little more effort on the execution would resolve this matter I believe.

The breakfast sadly didn't work very well for us. We booked a bed & breakfast deal but there were complicated terms and conditions attached to this that we couldn't quite grasp. Some drinks were included but others not. Some items were included and others chargeable. There were some communication difficulties with our server that perhaps prevented us from understanding fully the parameters of ordering breakfast so we stopped trying in the end and just ordered what we wanted and never mind the costs. Service at breakfast was very slow and it gives me no pleasure to say that on the two days we ate breakfast it was cold and less than expected in terms of preparation quality. We ate breakfast twice in our four night stay and then gave in to IHOP. I don't think I am the first guest to comment negatively about this, so I believe there is room for significant improvement.

One of the key questions for me as a traveller is do I get value for money? Not being one of the most expensive properties we looked at I have to take this into account. There are other properties that charge similar rates in the vicinity that we have stayed at and on this basis I believe this isn't best value for money. I accept this is Santa Monica seafront so expect to pay a premium, that said I would prefer better service and a well cooked breakfast for my traveling dollar.

Would we stay there again? Never say never, but it wouldn't be our first choice. Principally on the value for money and service basis but also taking into account we prefer more contemporary accommodation. If you are a very nostalgic person you might overlook the service issues we encountered and thoroughly enjoy every aspect of staying here. With any luck the owners will smooth the few rough edges we encountered and enjoy less polarised opinion in future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Iharper
Dear lharper,

It is refreshing to hear the word subjective in a review. As with all things what appeals to one, may not appeal to another. We continue to update and make changes, moving forward while maintaining the original charm of The Georgian.

It is always helpful, at the instance that an expectation is not met, that an opportunity to meet or exceed expectation be given - be it communication, service or quality. Your comments have been taken to heart and addressed with each department. Thank you for your feedback.

Laura W
Morristown, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Perfect location, good restaurant, solid staff.
Will return. Probably to same ocean view queen room :)
Special shout out to Mike. He was great at the front desk and kept the downstairs lobby and restaurant flowing nicely.
Also, the waitstaff, room service people and table bus teams work very hard to keep things classy. Thx.

Room Tip: Ocean view. No brainier.
Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Mark K,

Mike is still beaming from your shout out! We too are quite proud of the service that he provides and the experience that he creates for our guests. We hope that you will return, so that he can thank you in person.

Warm Regards,

Laura W.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Ask for Mehra to be your morning waitress, she is very pleasant and efficient. The food is excellent! The outdoor dining is great, overlooking the beach. Be sure to try the French Toast Soufflé or the eggs Benedict. We ate there two days in a row and we plan to return

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. My husband, son and wife had a very nice suite (505, I believe) with a view of the ocean. It was a large suite, $500/night, which included some dinners, breakfasts and drinks. We were able to check in early, which is always a big plus.

Location is fantastic - around the corner from 3rd street Promenade, across from the beach and Santa Monica Pier.

Valet parking,as others have said, is expensive.

The only issue I had was that at breakfast, I first ordered a vegetarian omelet, then changed my order to an omelet without sausage. Unfortunately, I neglected to notice that the omelet also had bacon and ham in addition to sausage. The waiter said, "You just said you didn't want sausage" and didn't want to take it back, even after I told him I don't eat meat. I let it go but was disappointed. I didn't feel like paying for a second breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Great location, close walk to pier and 3rd street promenade. Hotel older but rooms nice and clean and enough room. Didn't eat there so can't comment on the food.
Desk staff ok but not overly helpful. Had emailed before we got there to see if we could get early check in after a 13 hour flight and received a reply saying they would try their best to check us in early but when we arrived we were advised no early check in and that was it. We said that we would change clothes then get the hotel to hold our bags until check in. 10 mins later after we had changed we went back to the front desk to give them our luggage and they acted like we were just turning up and hadn't spoken to us before - a bit strange.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night here. Excellent location, across the road from the beach, close to the pier short walk to shopping and the 3rd street promenade. Room was nice and clean, comfy beds. We were able to check in 2 hours early as rom was ready. Valet parking at $27 a night was over the top, after tax and exchange was $35. Room a bit pricey but you have to pay for location. One night stay with tax, parking etc was $350. Staff were quite pleasant.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear KP1963,

Thank you for staying with us and enjoying the location. Parking is something that is questioned daily. Don't hesitate to contact us when you return, many times we have added value packages, that you could benefit from.

Warm Regards,