“A BIT OF SPAIN IN SANTA MONICA”
Review of Bar Pintxo

Bar Pintxo
Ranked #103 of 682 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Description: Bar Pintxo is an authentic Spanish tapas bar in Santa Monica providing a unique combination of outstanding food and drinks in a warm and inviting atmosphere. Our exclusively Spanish wine and beer list represents wines from every region in Spain, comprised of small and traditional family-owned wineries throughout the Spanish wine regions. Many are offered exclusively to Bar Pintxo, including an assortment of Temperinillo, Cava and Txakolina to enjoy with your meal, or for purchase. We have created a sophisticated space with a relaxed and warm feel, an old world ambiance with modern touches that transports you to Spain when you walk through our door. Remember to check out our retail store, which offers Spanish Jamons, Cheese, Olives and other Spanish foods and wine, so you can create your own Spanish experience at home!
los angeles
“A BIT OF SPAIN IN SANTA MONICA”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

after a long frustrating drive through LA traffic on a friday, my girlfriend said, i want to go to Bar Pintxo. what could i say.

the service was friendly and attentive. the food is delicious. we had melted cheese with chorizo, really good; garlic shrimp was amazing; veal chop ethereal. the meatballs were undercooked and they took it off our bill. we washed this down with a half bottle of spanish white and we were happy campers

you should go.

• Visited March 2013

Santa Monica, California
“Almost like being in San Sebastian”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I love the vibe of this little place - it's very similar in size to the tucked-away pintxo bars in San Sebastian on which it is modelled. a good wine selection with plenty of basque choices for the authentically minded - think Txakolina, the sightly effervescent and acidic low alcohol content white that pairs so perfectly with this cuisine. It also offers some really delish red or white sangria, and wines from the northern spain that you might not have seen before in SoCal.
I tried the 6 for $6 happy hour plate - the quality ranged from good to great, and is an excellent way to try a range of these tapas without breaking the bank. The standout on the 6 for $ plate is Morcilla (blood sausage) with Crispy Sage and Garbanzo Aioli. Off the main menu I tried the Croquetas de Bacalao (Crispy Bechamel with House Cured Salt Cod) which, while not reaching the ethereal heights of one I had at Bar La Cepa in SB last summer, was nonetheless excellent. I was also happy to see Spanish futbol on a small TV. Sorry to blow my own horn but I suggested this to chef/owner Joe MIller when the place first opened and let's just say he looked at me askance. Glad to see he's come to his senses. Well worth a visit if you're local, or a detour if you're not.

• Visited February 2013
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Just ok food, overcharged my credit card, beware”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had very good expectations going into this bar. I went there with a group of Spaniards and South americans who knew their Spanish food. Well the food was a mixed bag. There was from very bad (Patatas Bravas) which simply weren't cooked very well to the Rabo De Toro which was good. One thing that bothered me is that even though we ordered a ton of food, and on some items we were asked to pay extra for an extra piece in the plate (we were 4) there were some plates that without previous notice, we were not given the chance to have for pieces of what we ordered, and this was taken to a limit in plates like Brocheta De Buey were only 3 pieces of meat were served in the Brocheta in a table for 4. To top it off, I just found in my credit card statement that they charged me for an extra 15 dollars on top of what was my bill . Not cool.

• Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We visited this restaurant whilst in Samta Monica for a couple of days as we wanted something different and it didn't disappoint! We want got five dishes between us and it was enough the star of the show being the Zazuerla (wrong spelling) a fish stew with prawns, mussels and calamaris - if you go there have this it is gorgeous! Highly recommend this restaurant!

Los Angeles, California
“Santa Monica's Spanish Gem”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

How often do you come across a restaurant where the atmosphere is unique, the service is great and the Executive Chef/ Partner gives you a dessert drink, on the house? Well, that was our experience - not too long ago in Santa Monica. After fighting with Suri (my trusty phone assistant), in having her find us a Spanish restaurant in the downtown Santa Monica area… she finally gave in and recommended ‘Bar Pintxo’. Thank you Suri… :)
It was a nice breezy evening, so we took our seats on the outside patio, facing the busy Santa Monica Blvd. After looking over the wonderful variety on the menu, we decided to order several items. Oh my! Everything we called for was absolutely delicious! To name a few, the “Manchego y membrillo con almendras marconas” was an excellent starter! Then we ventured into “paté de buey y pata negra” with the “tortilla española”. Mouthwatering…

After noticing that we had devoured these heavenly appetizers, the waiter suggested the “albóndigas de cordero rellenas de uvas” (-lamb meatballs filled with pickled grapes, heirloom spinach, and pumpkin seeds)… different huh??? NOW we were hooked! And how could we NOT order the traditional house specialty??? “Tabla de embutidos - lomo, salchichón, fuet” (-an assortment of Spanish cured meats, house pickled vegetables). After feasting like we haven’t eaten in days… we sat quite content and enjoying a dessert house liquor (delicioso!) -while people watching our dear Santa Monica locals.

The atmosphere is very casual, although one can dress up and not feel weird. The inside of the restaurant is a bit small, so opt for the patio seating.. you won’t be disappointed. Please be sure to seek out the ever so gracious executive chef and partner - David Plonowski, and say “Hello!”. What a pleasant and down to earth gentleman! Refreshing…

So the next time you find yourself in Santa Monica craving Spanish Tapas, be sure to stop by Bar Pintxo (109 Santa Monica Blvd., Santa Monica CA.) You won’t be disappointed!

• Visited September 2012