We (4 Aussies) had 3 days following our cruise and found everything good with great service from the friendly reception staff.
Note it takes about 45 mins. from the cruise terminal. We waited about an hour for a Taxi Van and gave up when we were able to get a private transfer which was only $75 for the 4 of us in a large new mini bus.
The room was comfortable with a huge King Bed, good bathroom, coffee machine and very very clean. There are vending machines for soft drinks and nibbles with free ice , I think on all floors.
We loved the huge TV (70 channels) in front of our bed and free Wi Fi to catch up with all online after many days without it.
Our room fronted the main road which is noisy but at night we just turned on the air cond. closed the double glazed windows and shutters which kept out the noise and light for a good sleep.
The Free shuttle to downtown Santa Monica does not work on the weekend which is really strange ?? However there is a thing called the Blue Bus across the road that comes about every 15 mins. and cost only $1 or a mere 50cents for seniors.
Good and cheap HUGE meals are available next door at "I Hop", something new to us Aussies, but big variety and good quality. I thought that we Aussies had a big appetite but you Yanks can out eat us 2 to 1 easy, You Win.
For somewhat better food there are a couple of Restaurants about 2 blocks away, and we found the Thai was worth the 10 minute walk, even though not fantastic food.
Take Note, Over there the so called PHARMACY is more like a supermarket where you can buy Wine & Beer at a very cheap price compared to Australia. ($14 for a 12 pack of Heineken)
There is even an Oz style Westfield Mall that costs $25 in a cab to get to for some shopping therapy if you miss it like we did after 3 weeks away.
A bit far from Santa Monica Beach but well worth what we paid and we were very happy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel in Santa Monica's Beach Cities burgeoning neighborhood located on historic Route 66 and easy accessibility to all that Los Angeles has to offer! Mid-City Santa Monica The Gateway Hotel is located less than two miles from Santa Monica's beach side, The Santa Monica Pier and the Third Street Promenade with an array of luxury shopping and dining all within walking distance. Guests arriving at the Gateway Hotel Santa Monica find an exceptionally welcoming, cheerful and affordable hotel featuring all the comforts of home. Blending coastal style accommodations with friendly service and plenty of thoughtful perks, our 123 bright, contemporary rooms offer pillow top mattress, 42-inch flat panel TV's with cable, complimentary coffee, tea and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, TravelClick, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Gateway Hotel Santa Monica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Santa Monica
- Santa Monica Best Western