We had no complaints after our four-night stay at this BW, we had a clean and comfortable twin room on the third floor with no problems of noise and good supportive beds gave us a sound night's sleep. The room had a fridge, a TV with good channel choices, and a safe for valuables, coffee maker, iron, all the amenities in good working order. Our trip was mixed tourism and business in UCLA, and this hotel is just right between the beach and the university, and it's a simple 1 dollar bus ride to reach both. In fact we found the buses were great, easy to use and connect to other lines that take you right around this section of LA. We even used them to get to LAX at the end of our stay - take line 1 down to 4th and Broadway, change to line 3, ride to the LAX interchange and then board the airport shuttle to the terminals. It took about an hour in total, but cost us the grand total of 2 USD. It's really very easy and convenient. The Big Blue Bus website has all the information you need, just make sure you bring the exact amount to pay, as no change is given on board the bus.
Practically inside the hotel is an IHOP which has good service and a reasonable menu and is very busy at weekends. There are plenty of alternatives around, just walk along Santa Monica Boulevard or 20th St and you'll find you are spoilt for choice. The best variety is found an easy 2 block walk along 20th to Wilshire Boulevard where there's a strip of restaurants, shops and bars, including a WholeFoods if you want to stock up your fridge in the room during a longer stay.
One easy lazy day out is to take the #1 bus all the way to Venice beach, stroll there for a while then walk back 1.5 mile along the beachside to Santa Monica pier, then from there explore the 3rd street arcade and catch the #1 bus back up to the hotel. Should kill a few hours no problem.
In summary, the BW Santa Monica was a good base to explore around the area with helpful public transport links in easy reach. Staff were friendly and there was no problems at all during our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel in Santa Monica's Beach Cities burgeoning neighborhood located on historic Route 66 and easy accessibility to all that Los Angeles has to offer! Mid-City Santa Monica The Gateway Hotel is located less than two miles from Santa Monica's beach side, The Santa Monica Pier and pedestrian friendly Third Street Promenade with an array of luxury shopping and dining all within walking distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Best Western, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus Gateway Hotel Santa Monica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Santa Monica
- Santa Monica Best Western