“Good for a short stay”

Best Western Plus Gateway Hotel Santa Monica
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Stayed there for one night only. An affordable hotel in a location with pricey accommodation. Nothing special but decent large rooms and quiet location. Could walk to the beach but there is also a shuttle bus provided by the hotel. Free parking a plus for the area and even though breakfast is not included there is an ihop just next door.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sleepy38
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Gateway Hotel Santa Monica

Reviewed March 18, 2012

This hotel stay was what most hotel stays should be. Everything was fine (and we can be quite critical). It wasn't fancy or luxurious, but the staff was courteous. We arrived before noon and our rooms weren't ready. That's fair. We hadn't asked for early check-in. We decided to walk to the beach and they'd phone us when our rooms were ready (they held our luggage in a back room for us). Walking to the beach was a mistake. Much further than I expected (about 40min). They did phone us about an hour after we tried to check-in to say that our rooms were ready and we did get the adjoining rooms that we'd asked for. The rack rate was one of the lowest in Santa Monica, so I'd have to say it was a good value.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank geerdad
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Free parking, clean rooms, but it is surrounded by car dealerships and a hospital. So there simply isn't anything on the doorstep.
Shuttle to Santa Monica was handy though and everything is within 30 mins drive (Venice, airport. Santa Monica, Malibu, bel air, Beverley hills, Hollywood, etc)

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank s22urf
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Of course I wanted to stay right on the beach, but once I saw rates of $350+ for being anywhere close to the ocean I expanded my search and found the Best Western. I think for Los Angeles as a whole, this is a very good value. The rooms are very clean and the hotel staff were friendly. We did not have to walk far to get to our rental car which was nice. We did walk to the beach one day from here and it took about 45 minutes with traffic lights. Walking through Santa Monica is nice though especially the 3rd street promenade area. There are restaurants around the hotel within walking distance. If you have a car the Best Western is a good compromise to being right on the beach. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle F
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We stayed two nights in this hotel and enjoyed our stay.

The reception staff was very friendly and helpful with all our questions. The parking was free and we could even park before check-in and after check-out.

The room was very nice, quite large and clean and they also accommodated our wish to stay at the top floor. We could also do a late check out as our plane wasn't leaving until later that day.

The hotel is a bit of a walk from the beach/pier but the hotel offers a convenient shuttle service to the pier area which was great.
They also have an IHOP restaurant attached to their hotel and the staff in the restaurant was extremely friendly.

We enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to other guests.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kardo_12
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of days while I was visiting Los Angeles. I chose it randomly, here's my opinion:

1-Location
The hotel is located in Santa Monica, around 20 blocks from Ovean drive and 12 blocks from the shopping district. It is in a very peaceful location, relatively safe and very neat. You can walk the surrounding streets and enjoy the marvelous Santa Monica sunshine. It is not very close to the main points of attraction, but if you put in a 10 min walk you surely get where've you want. The hotel is also located at the corner of Santa Monica blvd. and 20th, which a very busy bus and taxi crossing.

2-Rooms
As with any other Best Western, the rooms are not fancy. They are of very average quality with very mediocre furnishings. Some of the equipment is old and takes you time to know how to manipulate it. The room colors are a little grim and lightning is fade. It is still a nice placebo be staying in for a by short period as rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are also quite large.

3- The hotel
It emails a very average hotel. You won't notice it in th middle of the street unless the Best Western sign is visible. I know that the chin is not intended to be luxurious and all, but still I have been a guest in other chains of similar status where you feel you are in a 5 star. The entrance, while very neat, is very similar to one of a residential building.

4- Amenities
There are not much outlets to enjoy, do make sure younger your lunch and drinks somewhere else. There are plenty of great pace in te vicinity of the hotel. The good thing about it s that they offer the Internet and parking for free.

5- Employees
I just love Best Wesern employees, they are very amicable and extremely helpful. They do their job to utmost erection and they are all around you should you need anything. I gave them 7 star on the service and guest attention. Whether the doorman, valet, receptionist....they are all worthy of great appreciation. That is my third Best western and I think I have noticed this in all my stays.

All in all I recommend this hotel of you are staying on a budget and would like to spend your money on seeing Santa Monica rather than spending it on accommodation. The hotel charged us 144 USD/night which is pretty decent. I got to spend the rest on the wonderful entertainment events all over Ocean Drive, shopping and just wandering in a great city. If you are more of a luxury freak and would like something more high end, I definitely recommend the Fairmont hotel down by acorn Drive or just stay closer to Hollywoodband Sunset at the Sofitel or SLS.

• Stayed: January 2012
6  Thank SagaLEB
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I have stayed here many times for business, and it has met all of my needs just fine, i.e. clean bathrooms and comfortable beds. But the poor choices made by the owners really let the otherwise decent hotel down. The towels are beige instead of white, so they look dirty even though they are perfectly clean. The bed linens are the same, and feel just as old as the hotel, although the bed itself is more comfortable than it needs to be for this class of hotel. Wifi is free and mostly functional, but slow. And the lightbulbs give off light that is so cold I always want as few lights on as possible. These are all really simple cosmetic changes the management can do to really spruce this place up.

To be fair, in the past two years, I have noticed some improvement, in the furniture and general non-mustiness of the place. But I certainly won't be missing this place.

The location is not that great. There is not much around, but a big plus is free parking.

Room Tip: Inside rooms have less light, but no street noise, which can be loud.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business