“Inventive Italian in Santa Monica”
Review of La Botte Ristorante - CLOSED

La Botte Ristorante
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: 7th Street
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a delicious dinner here late of an evening after a very long, very stressful day. Although we were by far the last people in the place, the staff never made us feel rushed, or hurried us towards the end of the meal. The food was terrific - inventive twists on classic modern Italian, with that lightness that marks so much of California cuisine. No heavy sauces or too much of anything. A sensational wine list, which our waiter and the manager both knew intimately. ("I come from this region in Italy." Really.) I'll surely be back here next time we go to LA.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was our second visit to La Botte. We were pleased that the food and service are still excellent.

Our group of 4 had a range of salads and entrees (primarily pasta and seafood) and all were wonderful. The service was really good and, contrary to much of LA, we never felt rushed! We had ample time to make our choices, sip our wine and enjoy the food and each other.

My one complaint is that the cost of some of the entree items and most of the wine was a challenge for us. Perhaps those are customary charges at "upscale" LA restaurants but we found the prices too high.

1  Thank YayoNorCal
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We spent NYE in Santa Monica. Most of the restaurants were fully booked and some of them had a ridiculously high cover charge. Accidentally we saw La Botte; it was also full (no table for two). But the friendly lady at the entrance could arrange for a table. We only had to wait for like ten minutes.

I was impressed by the wine list (most of the imported bottles from Italy). I think that's one of the main reasons why La Botte got a Michelin Star. We ordered a bottle from the Tuscany and were surprised that the vintage of the bottle was a different one than on the wine list.

We had prosciutto di Parma (30 years) with parmigano and a tuna tartar for starters. The tuna and the ham was very good. But I didn't like the cheese. It was melted an prepared like mozarella.

For our main course we had a filetto di manzo and linguine. That was absolutely delicious.
To my surprise we were never asked for a dessert or en espresso but instead being presented with the check.

Food: Very good
Atmosphere: Business casual, relaxed and familial
Service: OKish (vintage / dessert)
Wine list: Extensive
Price: Reasonable

Reviewed December 31, 2012

It is a decent restaurant for tasty, authentic Italian food. We had a tasting menu and everything was good enough to rival any proper restaurant in Italy. The quality of food was consistent and so was the service.
However, I would say this restaurant is far below the level of what is normally found in a one-star establishment. The tasting menu was supposed to be the chef's selection and would 'surprise' us, but what they delivered was a complete lack of imagination. There was very little design in the presentation, nor in the combination of ingredients. Not a single dish surprised me: artichoke soup, squid-ink linguine, pork cheeks... yawn. They stopped pretending to have any creative talent when they presented the selection of desserts: a chocolate mousse cake, a semifreddo, a panna cotta, and a scoop of ice cream! The tasting menu would be better named as Italian kitsch.
Overall, what can I say. I'm a visitor to LA and have very little idea about the local food scene. I have never dined in an Italian Michelin either. I would not say that the food is overpriced - you pay much more for this if you are actually in Italy; nonetheless, paying 90 dollars for six courses of Italian kitsch, however well-made they are, is not something I would normally do. If you are looking for good, authentic Italian food, go there. If you are, like me, looking for a culinary adventure, they you should probably try somewhere else.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We took our out-of-town family to a post-Thanksgiving meal at what was one of our favorite local Italians – what a disaster. What was once a fine Michelin one-star restaurant has collapsed into a black hole restaurant where the staff – and more importantly the management and ownership and chef – just don’t care about their customers or the customer experience. If you were the chef/owner, wouldn’t you care that it took over an hour to get the first course delivered – although others in the sparsely occupied restaurant who arrived and ordered later were getting their food – and although the first course that finally arrived came out over a period of another 10 minutes so that some in our party were done before others were fed. Wouldn’t you care that you were told face-to-face about your customers’ unhappiness and dissatisfaction and then be sure that the rest of the meal was flawless? Not here. Instead, let’s make them wait another extended period for their entrees, deliver them over another 10 minute period so that they still can’t dine together, and forget one person’s order and then deliver that pasta dish even later but not even cooked. Let’s also hide in the kitchen so that the customers can’t find anyone to speak with. And when, at the end of this debacle, the customers ask for some adjustment of the bill, let’s charge them in full – including for the delayed, half-cooked meal, and then refuse to make any other adjustment or to come out and meet the customers face to face, instead leaving the dirty deeds to the hapless waiter who says he can’t do anything and that it is management’s decision. All in all, a horrible experience that won’t be repeated by these formerly regular and loyal customers.