“Decent high-end Italian restaurant. But Michelin? You must be kidding me!”
Review of La Botte Ristorante - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: 7th Street
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Decent high-end Italian restaurant. But Michelin? You must be kidding me!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

It is a decent restaurant for tasty, authentic Italian food. We had a tasting menu and everything was good enough to rival any proper restaurant in Italy. The quality of food was consistent and so was the service.
However, I would say this restaurant is far below the level of what is normally found in a one-star establishment. The tasting menu was supposed to be the chef's selection and would 'surprise' us, but what they delivered was a complete lack of imagination. There was very little design in the presentation, nor in the combination of ingredients. Not a single dish surprised me: artichoke soup, squid-ink linguine, pork cheeks... yawn. They stopped pretending to have any creative talent when they presented the selection of desserts: a chocolate mousse cake, a semifreddo, a panna cotta, and a scoop of ice cream! The tasting menu would be better named as Italian kitsch.
Overall, what can I say. I'm a visitor to LA and have very little idea about the local food scene. I have never dined in an Italian Michelin either. I would not say that the food is overpriced - you pay much more for this if you are actually in Italy; nonetheless, paying 90 dollars for six courses of Italian kitsch, however well-made they are, is not something I would normally do. If you are looking for good, authentic Italian food, go there. If you are, like me, looking for a culinary adventure, they you should probably try somewhere else.

• Visited December 2012

Los Angeles, California
“Never Again”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We took our out-of-town family to a post-Thanksgiving meal at what was one of our favorite local Italians – what a disaster. What was once a fine Michelin one-star restaurant has collapsed into a black hole restaurant where the staff – and more importantly the management and ownership and chef – just don’t care about their customers or the customer experience. If you were the chef/owner, wouldn’t you care that it took over an hour to get the first course delivered – although others in the sparsely occupied restaurant who arrived and ordered later were getting their food – and although the first course that finally arrived came out over a period of another 10 minutes so that some in our party were done before others were fed. Wouldn’t you care that you were told face-to-face about your customers’ unhappiness and dissatisfaction and then be sure that the rest of the meal was flawless? Not here. Instead, let’s make them wait another extended period for their entrees, deliver them over another 10 minute period so that they still can’t dine together, and forget one person’s order and then deliver that pasta dish even later but not even cooked. Let’s also hide in the kitchen so that the customers can’t find anyone to speak with. And when, at the end of this debacle, the customers ask for some adjustment of the bill, let’s charge them in full – including for the delayed, half-cooked meal, and then refuse to make any other adjustment or to come out and meet the customers face to face, instead leaving the dirty deeds to the hapless waiter who says he can’t do anything and that it is management’s decision. All in all, a horrible experience that won’t be repeated by these formerly regular and loyal customers.

• Visited November 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
“Squisito”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were lucky to dine here with about eight other people who dine here regularly so we could sample a number of dishes. The silky branzino carpaccio with sea urchin, ravioli filled with braised beef filet and the Wagyu filet mignon in Barolo wine sauce were favorites of the evening. My only regret is that I ate lunch that day. Had i known how great this restaurant would be, I would have been better prepared to enjoy the feast. Atmosphere is casual sophistication. Service is friendly enough. The food is first-rate. Dining out in Santa Monica can be a gamble. If you want a guaranteed great meal then go to La Botte. I think reservations are probably necessary.

• Visited September 2012
Keerbergen, Belgium
“Michelin guys must have been drunk or bribbed”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was the worst restaurant experience of our 3 week stay in CA.
The place was empty and depressing. The food was tasteless and unbalanced (the main course pork cheeks were ok). The waiters did their best but could not save what was destroyed in the kitchen. The winelist is outdated, as our waiter told us, and it is way overpriced. Our hotel driver told us, after the facts, the place tries to imitate European service, which for him meant "ignore the customer". The restaurant management clearly is not interested in their clients.
Michelin must have been drunk when they visited and scored the place or they got a big tip.

• Visited October 2012
Los angeles
“Real Italian food, excellent quality.”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I don't know if a lot of the average American clients will understand the very high quality of this Italian restaurant, because here they serve the real Italian traditional cuisine, that sometime doesn't have much to do with the Italian food American costumers are used to nowadays in united states. Anyway I'm originally from Italy and I can assure you that this restaurant is the most fantastic one I have been to in a long time, including restaurants in Italy! The appetizers are superb! I particularly love the carpaccio di branzino with sea urchins and as a second course I love risotto, I adore the pasta with red beet, called cassunzei, and as main course I usually have fish, in different variations. To finish a glorious meal, the chocolate mousse cake, but all the dessert are delicious. The wine list is very extensive, and the host, Stefano from cortina dampezzo, is very kind and can guide you though the wonderful menu. What should I add? Nothing, just give it a try.!!

• Visited August 2012