All reviews freshly baked cookies evening wine complimentary wine breakfast was delicious home away from home bed and breakfast garden room souffle cocktail hour other guests the pacific coast highway tea and coffee every morning hard boiled eggs bike ride busy road the ground floor
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Just had a three night stay at this hotel, after two weeks travelling across the Western US on holiday. Have to say this was the most expensive of the hotels we visited - and the one we least liked.

We arrived early at the hotel and enquired as to whether it would be possible to check-in early. We were informed check-in was not possible until 3pm and so left the car in the car park and went for a walk into Santa Monica. The hotel is only around 5-10 minutes walk from the beach but is a good 45 minutes walk to the pier and downtown shops / bars etc.

Back to the hotel at 3pm and we were checked in by a charming lady who showed us around. First impressions were great, the sitting area was very quaint and tastefully furnished. We were informed about complimentary wine and nibbles during the evening and breakfast in the morning. We were invited to help ourselves to free sodas in the fridge, and told about the free parking arrangements and the WiFi.

And then we were shown to our room.

This was reached by exiting the back door to the property and down an alley past the cleaners room and washing area into a dismal alley down the side of the hotel. The lady checking us in was eager to point out that we had our own private entrance. We were shown into the room and was so disappointed to see where we’d have to sleep for the next three nights.

The room was tiny. The queen sized bed filled the majority of the room, leaving little room for luggage. The bathroom was only big enough for a bath and toilet meaning the sink had to be placed in the bedroom compounding the issue.

As the room was located down a back alley natural light was minimal and so the room felt dark. This may have been the reason the room felt damp with a musty smell.

We decided to stay in the room that night and see if we still felt the same about the room the next morning.

After breakfast the next morning (which was found to be pleasant and tasty) my wife spoke with the lady on duty in the hotel to inform her how disappointed with the room we were. She was informed that the size of the room is described on websites and there was nothing she could do as the hotel was full. My wife found the lady to be dismissive of her concerns and uninterested.

We checked the hotels own website and found rooms were advertised as being available for the two nights we had remaining of our stay.

We decided to go own into Los Angeles and try and enjoy the rest of our stay and returned to the hotel around 3pm. We walked into the sitting room and helped ourselves to a coffee from the urn on the side. The coffee came out cold and so my wife spoke to the same lady from the morning - she was informed that the coffee had been left out since breakfast and wasn’t supposed to be there, she said she couldn’t make any more regular coffee but we could help ourselves to the decaf that was in another urn next to the regular one. We declined and sat down slightly confused as to why coffee that wasn’t meant to be there had been left out since the morning. Eventually when the lady realised we were upset she returned and offered to make a pot of coffee. Why could this not have been done before upset was caused?

This hotel receives many positive reviews, and certainly has some redeeming features. However a look through many of the negative reviews concerns guests which have stayed in the same room we had stayed in (room 13 - garden room). Many of the points raised by previous guests have still been present when we stayed at the hotel and this makes you wonder whether the hotel is more concerned with the dollar than guests comfort and happiness at staying in this particular room.

The lady my wife complained to pointed out to her that Santa Monica is expensive to hotel in. That may well be the case, but I have stayed in equally expensive places previously ( and on this holiday) and have never stayed in a room as poor as this one.

This hotel represented poor value to us, and left a cloud over our entire holiday, and as such would not recommend it.

1  Thank Nick D
FSInns, Manager at Channel Road Inn - A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your fellow travelers. I am so sorry for your disappointment with the guestroom. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations so your comments were most concerning. As an historic building, our rooms do vary in size and thus in rate. Our goal is to present the room features accurately so guests are aware of the specifics at the time of reservation, and make their selection accordingly. The Budget Queen Guestroom is described on our website as follows, “Please know this is a small room at just 11' X 10' and is located through an outside entrance, behind the main building” to alleviate any confusion. Many of our repeat guests appreciate this affordable Santa Monica option, although I recognize your disappointment. As a boutique inn, focused on making every guest’s stay with us wonderful, your comments have been taken to heart and I will personally be reviewing all the issues you raise. Wishing you safe and happy travels.
Warmly,
Heather Suskin
Manager, Channel Road Inn

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I stayed one night on a solo trip. Everything about the Inn was great! The check in was really quick and I was shown to my room. It had a great little balcony that was perfect for reading in the evening while nibbling on the chocolate chip cookies that were in my room. I was able to walk to the beach with a borrowed beach towel, walk back for a quick evening snack (didn't even need a dinner that evening!), and then head back to the beach again. The breakfast selections were delicious and I left with a new breakfast recipe!

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here and met up with old friends for a few delightful days. The staff were wonderful, friendly, and professional. The rooms were great, the home made style breakfast delicious and the ambience peaceful & charming. There was a short walk to the beach and a variety of good restaurants close by.

2  Thank Mary K
Reviewed August 29, 2018

This is an absolutely lovely hotel that is in a quiet neighbourhood in north Santa Monica just a stones-throw from the beach (it is a 3 minute walk down a straight road to get to the beach). This is particularly nice if you want to be in a good location that is both quiet but offers easy access to central Santa Monica and the rest of LA.

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 3 days in early August and cannot recommend it highly enough. The hotel is also very clean and maintained and the rooms are large and well designed. The hotel also offers parking directly on the property and provides a very nice breakfast every morning with homemade food, which was a great way to start the day!

I have to say that the highlight was definitely the staff who were very warm and welcoming and were always on hand to help with any queries we had. Being a smaller property we really felt well looked after, which you simply could not get at some of the larger hotels.

The only negative thing I would say is that the air conditioning was not great and consisted of a unit in the corner of the room. Luckily when we stayed it was not too hot, but this could be an issue for some people.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2018

Good location after a long flight into LAX. Delightful, gentle welcome from Holly which we appreciated. Stayed three pleasant nights in a mini suite which was a little dated although clean and had everything we needed. Cheese and wine and breakfast were delicious and there was plenty of choice. We used the complimentary bicycles and cycled many miles on the coast path finishing in Marina del Rey. We loved this. We would recommend this inn and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building as the mini suite was expensive on reflection
1  Thank garycritten