“Brilliant place!!”

Tudor House
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed November 29, 2010

The service is brilliant! The lady is very friendly and always helpful. Well, Brits are always more polite and well-mannered compared to Californians :)
The price is very reasonable (1 teapot for only $2.75). Great variety of tea (black, green, earl grey, etc etc). The scones are superb (served warm, with raspberry and devonshire cream), along with other authentic British pastries that I found delicious.
They also serve a three-tier pastry including coffee or tea. I don't remember the price, but it's less than $20. Compared to other tea rooms, this place is very well-priced.
I shall definitely go back and try the breakfast. The owner also has a store connected to the tea room selling tea accessories, variety of teas, snacks, pastries, etc. I must say that the store carries loads of Twinnings tea (earl grey, breakfast tea, irish, etc)
Last but not least, I fancy the accent very much!

There are newer reviews for Tudor House

Reviewed January 28, 2010

I'm a brit who has been living in the US now for 7 years. I was very chuffed to discover this place, since it is so difficult to find fresh and authentic english food. We ate at the tearoom and had a fantastic pot of Assam tea with our pies and chips. The pies were spot on, just like something I would have eaten back home. The staff was very polite and were all from the UKand even though we were there just before closing, they would have squeezed in dessert if we wanted. Our 20 month old was getting a little rambunctious so we went next door and took a couple of scones home and a pot of devonshire cream. The scones were perfect and everything else in the bakery looked really good and the prices were very reasonable (much cheaper than if you eat in). They are the only place that I've seen in the states that sell fresh english cream cakes.

I'm looking forwards to going back there and trying more things. The sausage rolls look especially good and authentic.

Reviewed November 3, 2009

I love everything about this place. I've been going to the Tudor House for over a decade. The food is delicious: I usually get the Afternoon Tea (comes with choice of sandwich, salad, scones, sausage rolls, and dessert). Everything is wonderful, especially the sausage rolls. I have tried sausage rolls at many other places, ugh, disgusting. At Tudor, they are heaven. Their vegetable soup is delicious and is served with fresh baked rolls that are amazing. You can ask for Devonshire cream for your scones. I always get a side of mashed potatoes, so good. The staff are great, but they seem stern until you get to know them better..the place is owned and operated by Brits. One lady, I don't know her name, always remembers us, takes time to chat, and is just overall wonderful. The shop sells baked goods and imports to take home, which is great. To the lady who reviewed here and said she found a roach in her food...that's awful, but that could happen at any dining establishment and does. The staff isn't American, so they're not going to fuss over you and give you a free meal, it's weird, to us, but that's the way it is. I have never, in the dozen years I've been going to Tudor, had a remotely similar gross experience.

Yes, the china is chipped....this isn't like going to tea at a fancy hotel, they don't fawn over you and they don't put much effort into presentation...it's homey and quaint...and it has character. Give this place a try, it's fantastic. Oh and I even helped host a bridal shower in the little ante-room they have for private parties...it was LOVELY. The food was great of course, and the owner was there running around making sure everyone had enough champagne and devon cream for their scones. So nice.

Reviewed June 1, 2009

This was beyond a horrible experience. My husband is British, so we are always on the lookout for a British restaurant. I had purchased several pastries there on many occasions, as they have a bakery attached to the restaurant. My husband had a complaint once about the freshness of the custard tart but overall, he was just pleased to find some place with British cuisine. I decided to take him and my mom there for lunch. Boy, what a mistake this lunch was for us. It was Memorial Day weekend and there was one waitress on duty. The place was packed and people were waiting. When my Sheppard’s pie came, there was a dead roach in my salad. I politely called the waitress over and kept my voice down, pointing out the insect (worse mistake, I should have screamed and yelled about it). Both my mom and my husband were sickened by the insect and the lack of concern by the staff and therefore, left their lunches. The waitress returned with the check (can you believe it) with my lunch omitted and said, "When we are busy, little things like that happen." I was stunned and appalled. I nearly had a fit but my proper British husband stopped me from making a fuss. I was livid!!! The two guys who work the till in the bakery are rude, always have been and now insects in my food. My husband was embarrassed by his countrymen and adamant to never, ever patronize this restaurant again. If you prize your health, don't eat here.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Good- the vegetable soup is excellent. Shop next door is really cute.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook