“Great place to see live music”

McCabe's Guitar Shop
Ranked #9 of 39 Shopping in Santa Monica
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

McCabes is a legendary concert venue. Small enough that there is not a bad seat in the house. They book quality acts and the ticket prices are good. Cookies and tea are a dollar each.

Reviewed January 19, 2009

I went into McCabe's for some bass guitar strings. I just started learning how to play, so I didn't know what kind to buy, but assumed they could help me. I brought in my guitar to show them what I had, and they told me there was only one kind of set that would work, and it cost $65. I asked if they could give me a discount and they did, to $44. I found out later that the $65 was the retail price, which no music store ever charges anyway. And the $44 was actually about $8 more expensive than toher places will sell them. Even more annoying was that when I got them back and showed them to my guitar playing friend, he told me that they gave me the completely wrong kind (flat wound) for what I was going to be playing. They should know their stuff better.

1  Thank treehugger99
Reviewed July 30, 2006

If you like acoustic music, if you want to go to a store where you can go to the back room and try out the guitars that are hanging on the walls, or if you just want to look at the unusual instruments that are hanging on the walls I suggest you check them out. You'll get a sense of what McCabes is all about by checking out their web site. They do sell some electric instruments but their roots are in folk music and they still have that feel... laid back and folksy. They have great classes and private lessons, sell music books, Cd's and instruments. My son takes bass lessons there and has learned an incredible amount and loves his teacher.
They also have concerts, mainly on weekend evenings but sometimes they have special ones during the week. They also have fun childrens concerts mostly on Sundays. You sit on the floor and kids can move around as much as they need to.
When I travel I love checking out local bookstores and music stores. If you're of the same mind then McCabes is worth a visit.

2  Thank Rashi