“BED BUGS!!! NEED I SAY MORE!!!”
Review of Ocean Lodge Hotel

Ocean Lodge Hotel
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed February 13, 2011

BED BUGS!!! Found bed bugs in both beds. The maid (who barely spoke english ) tried to say we brought them! Received full refund, will never stay there again!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Rebeccajacobjordan
ocea1667, General Manager at Ocean Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Please allow me to introduce myself, Marisela Herrera, General Manager. I recently read your review and wanted to first apologize for what occurred during your stay with us.

Be informed that we have taken immediate and thorough action to resolve this concern and I have personally overseen the actual maintenance done to address this isolated incident.

Let it be known that we are truly committed to our guest's satisfaction and take these matters very seriously.

We want to earn your business back by any means necessary and will look forward to your highly anticipated reply if there is anything else that we can do to make you feel better on your stay at our hotel.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 18, 2010

A quiet motel very close to the Santa Monica Pier. Nothing fancy, but very clean. Extremely honest staff. When I checked in they had just placed a special rate on line and gave it to me. I wouldn't have known the difference. Very heartwarming in this day and age. There were only two downsides. Parking was in extremely close quarters. It was a bit nerve wracking trying to get in and out. There other was the evaporative cooler in the room. We had to wake up twice during the night and empty it out. It made a noise and woke you up when it needed to be emptied. Huge plus was the location. We parked the car at the motel and walked everywhere. It was close to great places to eat and shopping. You can't get any better for the price!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank katelynnicole2525
Reviewed May 29, 2010

My husband and I spent 2 nights at this hotel. We had a very pleasant stay. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were spacious, clean and bright. I especially liked the large, walk in type closet which helped us keep are large suitcases and clothes very accessible but also hidden.There was also a built in cabinet with plenty of shelves to store our smaller items which I found very convenient. I was especially surprised by a bottle of champagne awaiting us in the refrigerator. (I believe my husband may have communicated this request to the hotel staff as our stay was a special occasion for us, but I am not sure. Regardless, it was a pleasant and thoughtful surprise.) The other thing I especially enjoyed was a back room off of our bedroom. It gave me that extra space that I needed and would be where my kids would be if we had brought them along--a separate place but still part of the room. My husband also enjoyed the free internet access in the room.

It's not the most luxurious hotel, nor the most modern but I don't think I'd get the large walk in closet, the built in shelves and cupboards, and the little back room if it were--and the price was right and the location outrageous! There were so many things to do in just walking distance.

The Hotel is located just across from the most marvelous and widest beach you have ever seen! The amenities and gymnastic equipment span a good 1/4 mile. I loved the area. We went on the pier, rode the merry-go-round and rented bikes to ride down to Venice. Later we we went shopping on the 3rd street promenade, walked along the palisades (what a view!) and in the evening, we had a hard time choosing from the many unique restaurants down main street.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend and we will come again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lizzy999
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I found this hotel and we are really happy on staying here. I will come back again. We always go to Santa Monica but we always stay in a big Hotel which cost a lot. . But Ocean Lodge aside from its walking distance from the center ,pier, downtown you are just across the beach which is nice , price is right, no doubt its clean and all basic that you need you have it in the room refrigerator, air conditioned, 2 tvs for big room, internet access free wow ........in short small hotel but big in service we are really happy we found this.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights between Vegas and San Diego. The hotel really is a bit of a hole. The pictures make it look good but it is a very basic motel. I think the staff probably do what they can, but the place could really do with pulling down and re-building. They must have the most incredible maids as the place is superbly clean, you wouldnt believe you could get it this clean, but it is well out of date!!

Saying that I also did notice what I suspect may be bed bites, although I didnt tell the mrs otherwise we would have had to find alternative accomadation and I just found wearing a t-shirt and trousers easier!

Location is 2nd to none. Bear that in mind. You honestly could not find a better placed motel. 2 seconds to the beach, and what a beach.

If however you are going on holiday and dont like the feeling of dissapointment, dont stay. If you are travelling for business, or get absolutely wrecked before bed, you should be fine.

P.s windiws dont shut, blinds are see-through even when pulled, so if you get changed, do so in the shower cubicle otherwise you'll be putting on a show!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2010

This place was horrible it was very small. There was no one to check us in till 12:00 since no one had arrived at the office. They charge $10 for parking on top of hotel price. The manager at the desk was very rude no customer service skills what so ever. The shower was very small. No many amenities really no customer service you are basically there on your own. When the hotel staff leaves at 9:30 there isn't any way of getting service if needed. We called for security once only to find out he wasn't anywhere near the property and never arrived at all. So no safety and to top it off we woke up with bites when i looked on the bed there was a bed bug and who knows how many others where there. When we told the girl at the front i think her name is marisela all she did was deny that they had any bugs. No im sorry or even let me comp your stay etc. I dont recomend staying here at all stay at the holiday inn it has very nice rooms and is right on the pier a real hotel for the same price.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oceanrose12
Reviewed April 11, 2010

It's hard to find cheap, decent places in Santa Monica, especially right across the street from Santa Monica Pier. The Ocean Lodge is clean and cheap, and across from the Pier and adjacent to downtown Santa Monica, just a couple of blocks from the 3rd St. (pedestrian street) Promenade.

But a lot is kind of thin about the place. The blanket (no extras supplied). The curtain, which was especially bad on Saturday night when the bar next door decided to turn on all its bright outside lights. The towels. The toilet paper one had to use because no kleenex were supplied.

Especially thin was the staffing. A notice in the room said people would be in the office as of 9:30, for check outs. Kind of odd that nobody's there before that, but OK, the place is small. I went out for breakfast and in the event got back more like 10:30, no office staff around, people waiting. I asked a cleaner, and it turned out that because it was Sunday, the office folks had called and said they wouldn't be in until 11:30. No note about that.

I particularly wanted to talk to them because I wanted to check out late/leave a suitcase (I wasn't traveling with a car to stow things in). They agreed to hold onto the suitcase, though they seemed to think it was an odd request.

The room was very small, the closet door couldn't open all the way because the bed blocked it! The shower stall was tiny, barely enough room for me to turn around in. The radio worked better than expected, though, even if it was a bit crackly.

I liked the Bayside Inn down the street better, a quieter, darker location, a less complicated heating system, nicer in almost every respect.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business