“Spring Break 2014”

Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Littleton, Colorado
“Spring Break 2014”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

We just recently stayed at the Ocean Lodge Hotel for Spring Break. Overall it was just okay. We stayed in the Deluxe Junior Suite With Three Beds. While pretty small, it fit all of us. Storage is a huge problem. There is one dresser with 3 small drawers. Not enough for five people for a week long stay. There is a closet, but it only has 5 hangers... We made due. There is one towel rack. Again, for 5 people, not the best situation. We had wet towels hanging all over the room....again, we made due. Our main problem was the sleep. Do not stay here if you plan on having a good nights sleep. The walls are SO thin. You can hear EVERYTHING!!! Unfortunately, our kids got a good education while listening to the people next to us having very loud sex. Location is good. Housekeeping is questionable. Black hair ball in our shower when we first checked in. Not a fancy place if that is what you are looking for.

Room Tip: 3rd floor maybe???? Less noise???
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Traci P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I have just spent 7 days at the Ocean Lodge and it was everything I needed for my stay. That is to say, a clean room, comfortable bed and easy reach of all that West LA has to offer on your doorstep. I have stayed in much more expensive hotels in Santa Monica and, whilst they are pretty cool, I rarely use the facilities available (including their bars and restaurants) and I tend not to spend much time in my room. Ocean Lodge is reasonably priced by Santa Monica standards and is in a fantastic location adjacent to the pier. All the attractions of Santa Monica are an easy walk and, if you don't mind a longer walk, so is Venice Beach. Taxis and buses are easily available to take you elsewhere in the city if you don't want to use a car. The atmospheric and well known Chez Jay bar/ restaurant is a must visit next door. It would be great to have a coffee machine in the room as the reception desk doesn't seem to open until 9.30 or 10am. The building work next door didn't start to early and didn't bother me and neither did the traffic. All in all a great little 50's motel that has been updated for 21st century customers.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marc L
Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I am giving this motel four stars not because it is a four star hotel, because it plainly is not, but because of the price and location. It is a very plain and simple road-side type motel, but it is about one block from the beach, and one block from the Santa Monica pier, on Ocean Avenue. It is right in the center of things for Santa Monica, but the price is not much more than a motel at an interstate exit. I found it clean, and my brief interaction with the front desk was very pleasant. The office opens rather late, and is closed in the late evening (my keys were waiting for me when I arrived late at night). I have one very minor complaint - no cream for the in room coffee until the last day, and one more significant - the free in-room internet was so slow as to be almost useless.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from Ocean Boulevard, which can be noisy when people rev the engines on their...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank VermontDavid
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed for a second time at the Ocean lodge and my stay was as nice as the first time. Very nice location, onsite parking and a very nice restaurant within 50 ft of the hotel. The staff was professional and helpful when I needed directions to a business meeting. My next visit from Seattle will include a stop of the Ocean Lodge.

Room Tip: Really close to the Santa Monica Pier.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Fmcpeek
Mountain View, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Because of the nature of my work, which involves a lot of traveling, I have had the opportunity to stay in hotels of all ranges, from 5-star ones to inexpensive motels. However, I can say with all my experience that the Ocean Lodge Hotel is by far the worst one I have had the misfortune of staying in.

Did you know of any hotels in the US that still uses actual keys instead of Access Cards to open the room doors in year 2014? Well, neither did I, until I came across this place. As soon as I entered, I found myself in a room about the size of my apartment's kitchen. The bathroom was like a public restroom in State Park. There was rust all over the small cupboard above the washbasin. There was hardly any furniture in the room to even keep my stuff. And I quickly realized my foolishness, when I expected a Microwave and a small refrigerator in the room. In simplest terms, you pay a huge amount here to stay in something worse than a Project! I wouldn't ever stay at this place, even if someone paid me to do so.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kunal V

Travelers are raving about these Santa Monica hotels

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We couldn't have picked a better hotel and it was significantly less expensive than most in the area (and most of them were much further from the Pier). It's an old motel, but they are renovating all the rooms. Ours was spotlessly clean, the beds very comfortable (and not sagging) and the linens were good -- looked fairly new. My only complaint was that the facet in the bathroom was broken, and we could only get cold water. Maids must have known it was broken, yet it had not been fixed. This hotel is a 5 minute walk, also, from the 3rd Street Promenade -- which you must also go to. Great shopping & restaurants there. No restaurant and no continental breakfast.

Room Tip: No elevator, so if you have heavy bags or mobility problems, choose the ground floor. 2 Units at th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

I was going to LAX to pick my niece and a friend up for a cruise over Christmas and decided since their plane was not getting in until late that we would just stay in a hotel and drive back to Capistrano Beach the next day to go on our Christmas cruise on the NCL Star.

This hotel is right across the street from the beach and about a long block from the Santa Monica pier. You can tell it is old but is very clean and the people are great and really want to please you. From the first email I sent until the last one once we returned home they were very fair and responded to everything I questioned and did what it took to make me happy. They also have free Wi-Fi which is great now-a-days any where.

I would highly recommend this hotel and if you have any questions I would gladly answer them for you. Just remember that this is not your typical high-rise fancy hotel and you don't have all the amenities that come with those. When we wanted a extra pillow at 11:00 at night there was no one in the office to get it for us. But we made do with what we had.

PS: If you are handicapped, L A County has a law that we do not pay for parking anywhere as long as the times are legit. Just remember this when you are parking your handicapped vehicle anywhere in LA County.

Room Tip: We were in a 2 bed 1 bath room and it was plenty large enough for 3 adults. 2 double beds in main r...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family