“Ok hostel, but impersonal”

Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica
London, United Kingdom
“Ok hostel, but impersonal”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Stayed just one night at this hostel. It was generally quite good - clean with good facilities. The kitchen was great - lots of space and nice and clean but the bathrooms were a bit grotty. The hostel is in a great location though.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Elaine K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed April 27, 2012

The setup and the location of this hostel is spectacular. The location is just a block from the Third Street Promenade and a short walk to the Santa Monica pier. The setup of the hostel is by far the best I've seen, and I've stayed in hostels all over the world. There is a huge kitchen where you can mingle, an outdoor hangout spot, a library, and many other areas to interact with other travelers. The hostel is very clean and the staff are nice.

However, the rooms don't vibe with the rest of the hostel in the sense that they are extremely bare. I recommend that the hotel add reading lights to the bunk beds so that people are not going directly to sleep at 10 PM could stay up without disrupting others. Other than that though, I highly recommend this hostel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I've been staying at this hostel for over 10 years. I was just there in April. I noticed hardly any lights to read by in the library. There used to be a lot of tables and lamps in the library; now it seems very dark there. There used to be tables, comfy chairs and lamps to read by in the computer area; now they are gone. Please bring back more lights to read by in all the common areas. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
mainplace, General Manager at Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Ah...a fellow reader! I'm surprised that you don't like the new setup in the library...we thought it would be much more comfortable. I agree about the lighting...I've been trying to find some floor lamps to go in there but haven't found anything that would work well. The overhead lighting is pretty decent though. I hope I find something before your next visit!
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This is a great hostel for Santa monica beach lovers, its relly close to all shops and beaches and is very clean, the staff are extremely helpful(well to English anyway lol) and all events were as advertised during the week. The only thing is the no Drinking policy it doesnt give you much chance to meet fellow travellers as hostellers do because everybody over 21 is out drinking!!! but for the $40 dollar 1 evening charge who can complain !!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed in this hostel during the first week of April. I got a 6-bed dorm room. The room was unique, as it had a sink, a toilet in a separate room and a shower in another separate room. This set up helped to reduce waiting time to use the sink, toilet, or shower.

Breakfast is included in the rate, and the breakfast is adequate: milk, orange juice, sliced wheat bread for toast, mini-plain bagels, peanut butter, cream cheese and strawberry jam. Coffee and tea are always available. The outdoor courtyard, by the dining hall was a great feature, as I got to enjoy the warm weather during meals.

I participated on various tours: The Getty Centre, Downtown LA and pub crawl, and the volunteer tour leaders were helpful and friendly. They provided a wealth of history and knowledge. I enjoyed the company of other hostellers.

Overall, it was a good stay, and I would recommend this hostel to others.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
It's so exciting when someone takes full advantage of all that we have to offer and it sounds like you did! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the activities and our volunteers. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Having tried several hostels in LA, once I found HI Santa Monica I was happy to make it my regular bed when in the City of Angels.
More like a three-star hotel than a hostel, it's a block from the beach and surrounded by restaurants (there's a good Italian one right next door), the mall for people watching and Wholefoods a short walk away.
I holed up here for a week just before Christmas because I was recuperating from an ear infection and couldn't fly and found the lounge with wifi, gas fire and huge Christmas tree welcoming and warm. The dorms are comfortable with backpack-sized lockers, the bathrooms are clean and the included breakfast is good though it's a shame the eggs have been dropped from the menu.
The reception staff are efficient if somewhat uninterested.
It's easy to meet fellow-travellers in one of the many chill-out areas.
It's a direct bus to Hollywood and downtown LA and the 40-minute trip is worth it to stay out of town. Discounted tours are available to all the usual attractions if that's your thing and/or you're short on time.
It's close to LAX - I took a bus for $5 - get directions from the helpful volunteer information office downstairs in the terminal.
I booked a shuttle for my return to the airport at the HI office next door to the hostel.
Recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reviewed April 10, 2012

A mate and I stayed four nights here while in the Los Angeles area. We went directly form LAX to the hostel, thinking it would take an hour (seeing as LA is such a huge city) it was a surprisingly short drive! we took a shuttle which only cost us $15pp. The person on check-in was very friendly and polite. I was in a 10 person dorm which wasn't bad, there was a bathroom in the room itself which was good. Unfortunately my suitcase was to large for the locker provided (it was a pretty big suitcase though), however, this was not a problem as all they guys in my room were cool so I left it on my bed during the day. I had read reviews that said the rooms near the road got quite noisy, however, I found this was not the case. I can see how they could get noisy during the day, but it was fine at night time. The hostel offered heaps of activities that I would have loved to participate in, however, out itinerary was pretty full so we missed out on them. The hostel itself is seriously in the best location in Santa Monica! a 3 minute walk to Santa Monica Pier and a 2 minute walk to third St promenade- where there were great places to shop and eat! The area is very safe too, there is a police station opposite the hostel, so there was always a good presence of police. The staff were also more than happy to give directions around Los Angeles and gave some great advice.
Overall I enjoyed my stay here and will, without a doubt be staying here next time I'm in Santa Monica!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brian T
We're so pleased that you loved the Santa Monica area and chose us as a base. The staff is going to be very happy that you found them friendly and helpful. Can you imagine how we feel when we get to come to this area everyday for work? It feels like a vacation!
We're looking forward to your next visit. Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review.