“Don't stay here if you're under 40...”

Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed 7 nights in Santa Monica, 5 in a different hostel in Hollywood and 2 in this hostel. The location in very good, the kitchen too.. It really seems like a hotel. But would I recommend to a friend? NO!!! I'm 19 and the fact that I'm usually travelling alone makes me a hostel lover... I like to meet people, make friends and change ideas. This hostel has a lot, A LOT - like 40% - of old people, when I mean old, I mean like my grandma. Don't get me wrong, I love old people and I know all the good things I can learn from then, but that's not the kind of vibe I was looking for my trip... Also, is very difficult to meet people, even the young.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Cissa93
mainplace, General Manager at Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

I was very suprised that you think that most of our guests are "old". If you were to look at the data, you would find that most of our guests are between the ages of 18 - 26.
Did you participate in any of our activities? We have tours, pub crawls, food nights - there are many way to meet other people here.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

We changed hostels from the USA Hostels Hollywood to this hostel and immidietly regreted it.. The location is good if you only plan on staying in Santa Monica but if you would like to explore the rest of LA it takes ages to go anywhere by bus.. The free wi-fi was very slow and we could hardly use it.. The free breakfast was the best thing about the hostel, very nice! The room was OK but the bunk beds were made out of wood and didnt look that stable to us

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank kristruna

I must say, this was my first time reading that someone didn't like our location or that it's difficult to get to other areas from Santa Monica. I'm sorry you regretted your decision to change locations but it sounds like we did alot of things right inside the hostel!

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Very good location (easy access to the beach and Santa Monica nightlife as well as tours of LA if you're interested...) and very good value for money.

This hostel also offers activites and opportunities to meet other travellers and socialize, exchange travel tips and experiences, etc...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank PatJ73
mainplace, General Manager at Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2012

Sounds like you took advantage of everything we have to offer. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

This was such a great place to stay. It's right in the middle of everything in Santa Monica. It's two blocks to the beach, two blocks to the downtown buses, and a short walk away from boutiques and malls and good restaurants. The inside of the hostel is modern and fresh and clean. I love the atrium area in the middle - you can be outside without really being outside. The rooms are spacious and clean, with ample room for belongings in the lockers. I had a big, filled duffel-type suitcase and a backpack, and they both went into the locker with some room to spare. The activities were diverse and cool, although I did not get to do most of them.

I did have some issues, though. First of all, I came without a reservation. The guy who originally checked me in checked me in for one night. The reason for that was evidently that they do move people around to different rooms even if they are staying multiple nights. I didn't like that. This also led to my next issue. I used a credit card in some one else's name for the first night. The guy who checked me in did not have an issue with this. They don't store the info in the computer, so when I came down the next day because I had to check in again, I gave the woman the same credit card, and she wouldn't take it. Luckily, I did have one in my name I could use, but if I didn't, I would have been up a creek. That's not cool that the people are so inconsistent in policy. If it was okay for one night, why wouldn't it be acceptable for the next?

The other thing that really bothered me was the breakfast. The breakfast itself is really filling and really good. My issue was the service. The first day I had breakfast, I was told it was from 7-10. I got there a little before 7 and it was ready and I could get going with my day. I got there at the same time the next day, and there was nothing. At about 7:15, the man who was putting it out was moving very slowly to put it out, and it finally all got out a little after 7:30, at which point he put up a sign saying breakfast started at 7:30. So I was a little annoyed at that. Either someone needed to inform people that the time was changing, or this guy just changed the time to suit his slow-moving needs. I don't know which happened, but I wasn't happy with that.

The only other thing to note about this hostel is about the plugs. There is only one outlet in the rooms by the door - it would be best for phone charging. If you want to use/charge your computer, it's going to be hard to do it in-room. It's best to go down to the breakfast room where there are multiple outlets and the free wi-fi is strongest.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for such a "balanced" review. I can see why the inconsistency would turn you off - it would me too. It's true that the cardholder has to be present to pay for someone's stay and breakfast is supposed to start at 7:30am.
You may have noticed that we were changing the flooring in all of the hallways while you were here which is why we had to move people to different rooms to work around that project. I know that this was a big inconvenience but I think everyone will enjoy the end result.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

Great hostel, everything you could need, beach just 2 blocks, great shopping on door step, buses into LA near by, staff were friendly and helpful, large kitchen, wifi useless, very clean, breakfast was good

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank HollyShanahan
mainplace, General Manager at Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2012

You'll be happy to know that we upgraded our wifi since your visit. It sounds like we reached your expectations on everything else.

A TripAdvisor China Member
Reviewed February 4, 2012

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed January 30, 2012

It's a couple of blocks from the beach, right in the heart of Santa Monica. This was one of the best hostels I've stayed in, in the U.S.

If you are going down there, this is the only place to stay - met some great folks, good price, great location!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo

What a great compliment...thank you so much for taking the time to write it. We're glad you had such a good time during your stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Monica
#5 of 109 in Los Angeles
Ocean Park Hotel
Ocean Park Hotel
#2 of 5 in Santa Monica

Been to Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica? Share your experiences!