Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
  • Beachfront
The Georgian Hotel(Santa Monica)
Hotel Carmel(Santa Monica)
Shore Hotel(Santa Monica)
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Lodge Hotel(Santa Monica)
  • Beachfront
Sea Blue Hotel(Santa Monica)
  • Beachfront
All reviewspub crawlbed dormhi hostelcommon areasfemale dormlarge lockersbig hostelgreat locationgreat facilitiesoutdoor courtyardfree breakfast isyour luggagevenice beachstreet promenadeair conditioningtwo blockslos angeles
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I and others in conversation have noted that people who typically might be living on the streets and/or are mentally unstable have been allowed to stay at the hostel. I am wondering what the hostel's policy is in this regard and how the hostel can truly continue to serve bona fide backpackers/travelers if the hostel is admitting people whose lifestyles and mental state are sometimes disruptive to others. This is a great place, well-managed, well-kept, generally well-run but screening residents and enforcing the rules of behavior seems to be a bit lax lately.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have their own toilet/shower.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed 3 nights at H.I. In Santa Monica, a 10 min drive from LAX and plenty of parking spaces at the lot across the street or 2 blocks over.

I was a bit nervous to be greeted by rude staff, but from my experience, the staff was courteous and even friendly to me and my friend. We're 2 girls who stayed at the dorms sharing with 6 other girls. The room was clean, no smell, and we actually had a little balcony with lawn chairs and a table. Bring your own lock for the lockers or buy one for $5 at the lobby. Room is still relatively secure. Bathroom was clean and so was the shower stall.

What I didn't like were the 2 disrespectful older women staying in our dorm. Both made plenty of noise from 6-8am when most of the girls were asleep, talking loudly, and one I suspect was a germaphobe who had tons of plastic bags that she kept sifting through for an hour. Then she took another hour in the shower, doing god knows what (laundry?). Were it not for them, I would've gotten more sleep and not wake up pissed off.

A word of advice, if you're rooming with other girls, please be considerate and try to keep the noise down at night and in the morning. We know everyone has their own schedule, but the least you can do is give others some peace and quiet.

Breakfast was really just bagels, cereal, toasts and juice. It's not a 5 star meal, but it'll get you going a little in the morning. The kitchen is huge and everyone has to clean their own dishes, which I like.

Everyone there seems to be nice, so I didn't have a problem.

Overall, I would stay here again but I'd pick a private room instead to avoid inconsiderate noisy people.

I mean who brings dozens of plastic bags in a shower stall?

Room Tip: If you can get room 209 for girls, you get a nice little outdoor space.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dahlia_29
Reviewed September 7, 2011

This hostel offers a lot. Right now I'm sitting in the kitchen with an empty stomach. Breakfast was already up at 9.15am. We had a booking for three nights. Every morning we had to check out and then in again for a new room. They told us that this happens to many people so it's not their mistake. We got then sn "upgrade" to a cell whole. Hmmm. The hostel is not made for an friendly environment. No drinking is permitted and the big hostel makes it therefor hard to meet other travelers. Very impersonal. It's clean and good facilities but is it worth the 54 dollars per night. On the other hand.. Their are no other hostels in Santa Monica. -no choice here. I stayed in many hostels all over the world but this has no karakter, which it's sad with their budget and capabilities to make it awesome.

• Stayed: September 2011
mainplace, General Manager at Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2011

I wish you hadn't chosen to write when you're hungry!!!!!! I'm sorry you got shuffled around during your stay. I could give you all the reasons why this happens, but I have a feeling it would come out flat. From my perspective, the facility is designed in such a way that people have opportunities to meet....lots of common areas, a kitchen where you can cook alongside your fellow travelers, movies in the courtyard, activities every day or night of the week where you can meet and connect.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

So you can't beat the price and location of the hostel in Santa Monica. It's right next to the beach and the Promenade, so you're right next to all the action. The staff is nice and helpful, there are plenty of activities at the hostel, plus food and wifi. Oh, you have to go on the Wednesday night Pub Crawl. The leaders are awesome and I had so much fun, it was unbelievable! I definitely recommend staying here to anyone traveling to Santa Monica.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank ScottimusPrime

We're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and took the time to tell us about it!

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Don't get me wrong, the hostel itself is very nice if you just want a clean place to stay. As a backpacker I wanted somewhere social and fun. I must make it clear that by fun I don't mean crazy just somewhere with a nice atmosphere. When you walk around the hostel you just see everyone on their laptops. I know this isn't really the hostel's fault but I feel their negative vibe really stops this hostel being social.

One of the major problems is that there isn't one social room where everyone can meet and relax. there are lots of tele rooms and even a library.

Many occasions the staff on reception were very rude. We had a problem one day where we had signed up for a trip but it turned out that a member of staff had left the sign up sheet out for a previous day. Ok, so it was an honest mistake but instead of the member of staff apologising, he was ridiculously rude to us. This is just one of the occasions where we were disrespected by members of staff. I think the major problem is is that there is a real 'us and them' mentality of the staff; to them we are just backpackers nothing more. Maybe if they were more friendly then other backpackers would be.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
mainplace, General Manager at Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

I'm sorry you felt that there was no place to feel "social" - we have a kitchen where people can (and do) cook together, a wonderful courtyard where people sit around and talk about their travelling experience, a cozy livingroom where people can strike up a conversation. We offer free daily activities so that our guests can meet other guests with similiar interests.
I can assure you that we don't think of our guests as "those backpackers" - we delight in our atmosphere and appreciate hearing about our guests experiences.