“Mediocre food, cramped inside. Awful.”
Review of 17th Street Cafe - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: 17th Street
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were squeezed between two tiny tables and felt like we were dining with the people next to us. I hate, hate that. The restaurant is filled with old people. There is no music playing and it's dark, so it has kind of tomb-like atmosphere. Food was mediocre. Won't be back again.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

This place was a regular haunt of mine. Food was good, staff was friendly and prices reasonable. There has been an ownership change and while this is not always a detriment, the attention to detail has suffered.
Two things hit home which needs to be corrected. Went there for breakfast this past Sunday for a pretty basic meal. Place was not busy, so I anticipated that we would get in and out quickly. Not the case. Took 45 minutes to get served. Wait staff was aware of the time frame and said it was , " a lack of communication. " Not a good answer. After my meal , went to the restroom and no paper towels to dry my hands. Again , not something that I appreciated.
Still , I like this place and hope with some fine tuning , the details that you expect , will be back in order. I will give them another shot.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We had breakfast here twice last weekend and both times were super satisfying and delightful. I read the other reviews before posting mine and I have to say that some reviews do this place injustice. This is an unpretentious and welcoming NEIGHBORHOOD place, not the French Laundry, folks. That being said, the service was the best we had in a long time : super prompt, friendly and knowledgeable. The food we ordered was of highest quality, perfect portions and very tasty. Latte and Cappucciono were to die for, and I am a stickler for that. I am giving this place an "excellent" rating because it is an excellent neighborhood kinda place with satisfying and tasty food.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is a pleasant neighborhood dining spot. The food is average. The staff is friendly but woefully unprofessional and oblivious.
I would not go out of my way to have a meal here. But if you are shopping on Montana Avenue in Santa Monica and need a place to eat, it will suffice.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

This place used to be great for business meetings . . . But no more. This is thanks to trendy parents who haven't bothered to teach their kids how to behave while dining out. (Parents, you might start by telling them they aren't in their own home...) The last couple times we've been there our conversation has been drowned out by the cries and shrieks of small fry (and we're not talking about a side dish). During our last visit the kids were so loud that diners were craning their necks to look for the perpetrators. The staff should have said something to the parents. They didn't. So...we showed our displeasure with a minimal tip. And a vow to not return.

P.S. Food was fine.