“A neighborhood meeting place, convenient, easy; but lacks the flavor of it's nearby competitors.”
Review of Marix Tex Mex Playa - CLOSED

Marix Tex Mex Playa
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Hidden away in Rustic Canyon this was once an upscale Japanese restaurant. All that remains of it's former glory are a few scattered Koi ponds throughout the dining areas. It was converted to a "Tex Mex Cafe" in the style of the late 80's with Southwest memorabilia. The service s usually quite good, but the food is barely a step above fast-food mexican chains. There is valet parking after 5PM and on weekends, and at $8 a pop to park your car within 20 feet of the front door the place is not much of a bargain.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

We visited in May. I had the chicken fajitas which had no taste. My husband had a chicken burrito which was also just average. The restaurant also only has tropical iced tea which is gross. I'll never understand why restaurants don't brew plain black iced tea. The flavored stuff is just too individual centric.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

The restaurant has very good food, and a nice selection. Prices are reasonable for Santa Monica, and you are only two blocks off the beach. It is valet parking, and the charge is $4 for the parking. There is street parking around the location, but it is very limited. I have to also complement the service. I left my sunglass on the table, and they had been picked up and thrown in the garbage when they were cleaning the table off, but my server was very nice and found them for me. I will be coming back here again soon!

Reviewed January 27, 2012

My husband and I had dinner at Marix Tex Mex tonight. Half of the restaurant clientele was a very large group (probably more than 20) high school kids, a table of 3 couples who were wasted and very loud, and several tables of families with small children.
I don't have anything against kids at all-I have 3, but when my husband and I go out alone, it's nice to be able to hear one another talk.
We've been to Marix more than several times in the past 8 years that we've lived in Santa Monica. It's hit or miss-sometimes it's dead and sometimes it's like tonight-loud and crazy. Getting a table is usually a short wait. There is a koi pond that the kids love. It's common for the kids to run around the restaurant and watch the fish. The building that houses the restaurant used to be a Japanese restaurant. There is an upstairs area, but I've never been up there to describe it. I think it must be used for private events. The bar area is nice-TV's with sporting events and cocktail tables or you can sit at the bar. There is a self serve chips and salsa station. The furniture is simple wooden tables and chairs and booths with red checked tablecloths-kind of a rustic feel.
The food is average, but enjoyable if you like Mexican food like we do. Marix serves the usual Tex-Mex dishes, like enchiladas, tacos, fajitas and burritos. Free chips and salsa are served as you're seated. They have several types of margaritas which are pretty tasty. We usually get the Z-Rita, which is a skinny margarita made with fresh lime juice and tequila. Service is average, but when it's crowded with large groups, the staff seems to be overwhelmed. We usually go to Marix on Friday nights, if you go early (6-7:30) there are lots of families and children. Marix is a casual, family friendly restaurant. It's not our favorite Mexican restaurant (see my review of El Cholo), but it's a decent night out. Just beware that there could be several large groups or lots of kids running around.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 22, 2009

Definitely try the Civeche cocktail..

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook