“Enjoyed the day”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Enjoyed the day”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I had an extra day after a conference I attended in LA, and wanted to get off the beaten path. Learned about Malibu Discovery Tours from a rep at the conference, and booked it with a friend. This was my first visit to California, and a great way to get an overview of the Malibu coast and hill country. Will was our driver, and he was very informative - pointing out iconic landmarks and giving the personal "skinny" on some of the celebrity homes. The drive was scenic in the extreme. He took us to three tasting rooms, well-spaced so we didn't spend all day in the car. The wines varied, as they should for tasting, but my favorite room was Sips (pretty hip place). We packed a lot in, so it was fast-paced. We were pretty tired but had seen a lot by the end of the day. Nice van, nice goodie bag with water and snacks for in-between. Lunch was good and the view was fabulous.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Olwen C

Detroit
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Not so much”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

OK, the wine was decent (not fabulous, but decent), but this is NOT a tour of vineyards or wineries. To be precise, this is a 5.5 hour driving tour up the PCH from Santa Monica, then into the Malibu hills, and back down the PCH (with a stop for a limited-menu, price-included lunch at Kristy's or Dukes). Along the drive, we stopped at three wine-tasting venues, where we tasted wines from other locations -- none of the venues were vineyards or wineries. They were tasting rooms only.

The van was nice (big Mercedes van, able to seat 11 passengers -- we were a group of 7), and the driver pleasant (if a bit speedy around some of the turns in the Hills), so the time passed reasonably quickly. The 1st tasting room was efficient and attentive (the Rosenthal Vineyard, on the PCH; Jesse, working the tasting bar, was knowledgable and fun), but the next two were less efficient and attentive. At the last one (at the Malibu Golf Club) it was nearly impossible to get to the tasting-bar for the next flight, and you couldn't hear the wine descriptions at all. (Aside: the jargon was overwhelming at all three places -- they've been well-schooled, but talking about a wine's "pop" and "palate entrance/departure" and "chocolate/blackberry/dark-cherry/dust" begins, after a very short while, to sound like the teacher in a Charlie Brown animated comic: "Wa, Wa. Wah, Wah, Wah. Wa")

Back-of-the-envelope calculation: 3 stops, with 4-5 wines tasted at each place = 15 sips. Plus so-so lunch (albeit at a pretty venue). Plus 5.5-6.5 hours. Divided by $169/person. Equals = not so much.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Vince P
Sydney, Australia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Malibu Discovery Wine Tour”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I went on a small wine tour through Malibu which consisted of visiting 3 different wineries. The group tour is designed for a smaller group. Included in the price was a good little goodie bag which included some snacks that kept you going to lunch and the lunch at Dukes. The group has a had a table overlooking the water. The driver was friendly, informative and was polite and did not pressure or rush the group along.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day and would do it again with friends whenever I return back to Los Angeles.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank bilby2009
Ohio
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“sunrise hike & service was great”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I took the sunrise hike as a solo hiker, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The staff was awesome from hotel pick-up to drop-off. The hike was very easy, so I would recommend to anyone that wants to see the beauty of the Malibu hills and excellent views. The hike included history of Will Rogers State Park. I had time to explore following the hike and they suggested I head to Palos Verdes - excellent suggestion.

Visited January 2013