“Wonderful property, great location”

Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Old world charm just steps away from Third St. promenade and one of the world's finest beaches. Love it here. Every room is a little different, most are really lovely: nicely designed, spacious, quiet and peaceful. It has been a while since I stayed there - it is always fully booked and tough to get in unless you can plan well in advance - and my only criticism is that there was no F&B onsite (there are tons of excellent eating options within a short walk though).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear abusian,

Thank you for your four star review. I am pleased to let you know that we now have an amazing restaurant offering guest exclusive dining for breakfast and lunch. I highly recommend our fried chicken sandwich. We look forward to your next visit with us. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We recently stayed at the Palihouse for three nights on our honeymoon. We loved the hotel! The location is great as it's slightly tucked away from the Main Street but still easily walkable to the main attractions in Santa Monica. The rooms are really trendy and the service we received was excellent. The breakfast menu is delicious and they put out snacks and fresh drinks during the afternoon which are pleasant after a day sightseeing. We would highly recommend this hotel. If I was being ultra critical, my only two comments are that the bathroom we had in our room was on the small side and there isn't any air conditioning but with fan on and the window open, it was cool enough for us. Having said that, it's a lovely boutique hotel, incredibly clean a great place to stay. The staff were incredibly helpful in recommending restaurants for us to go to and went out of their way to book us tables for dinner and get us directions to some vineyards in Santa Barbara which was the next stop on our honeymoon.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Alex R,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and thank you for your five star review. And, congratulations on your recent marriage! We are all so pleased that you chose to stay with us for such a special occasion. It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed all that our hotel and city has to offer. Please let us know when you will be returning to the hotel as we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. Great vibe/frequency to the property. Really one of the best trained staffs I've encountered. Great breakfast menu and complimentary snacks often laid out for guests. Completely accommodating and none of the hipster attitude we have all come to dread in this modern era. Only small complaint is the lack of AC. Its SoCal and the weather is great, but I really like a cold room. Manny was a particularly great staff member. Will def be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Sanford K

Dear Sanford K,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Palihouse Santa Monica, and thank you for your five star review. Our afternoon complimentary refreshments are a new addition to our hotel, we are so glad you enjoyed them. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed Manny’s service so much. I will definitely share this review with him. Thank you, again.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I absolutely loved my stay at the Palihouse Santa Monica. After two days in Long Beach at the Westin and then two days in Hollywood at the Roosevelt, I was feeling pretty jaded about Southern California. My other experiences had been cookie-cutter and boring to say the least. This property was immaculate, my room was gorgeous, and the location was outstanding.

I refused to drive in LA (I know, who does that really?), so getting around by foot or bike was key. Two short blocks from the 3rd St Promenade, the hotel gives you a few minutes to unwind in the quiet neighbourhood and leave all of the shops and crowds behind. As a single female, I felt completely safe walking around late at night (11 pm - 1:00 am). Its also incredibly close to the beach and Pacific Palisades park. Other shopping/eating areas like Montana Ave are near by as well. To be honest, despite the beauty of the area, I didnt really want to leave the property. I forced myself to see the sights and soak the area in, but when I come back, I fully plan to spend more time at the hotel.

The lobby, rooms, and outside terraces are gorgeous and inviting. I spent a portion of my last afternoon relaxing in the shade and cool breeze of the back terrace. The lobby has the best playlist in all of LA, in my opinion, playing quietly during the day. My room (a king size studio) was equipped with kitchen, small sitting area, and lovely bathroom. The walk-in closet with vanity area gave me area to unpack just enough that my basics (blow dryer, toiletries) could be accessible but not in the way. The bathroom at the Roosevelt didnt have a counter top and left a lot to be desired. My room had very tall ceilings and massive windows. Because the property is too old for air conditioning, I simply left the windows open and let the breeze from the beach come in. I was never too hot or too cold in my room, and I felt safe enough to leave my first-floor windows open at night without worry.

Lastly, and this may be my favourite lasting memory of the property - the service was friendly and relaxed. Because there are so few units on the property, you get to know the staff. Its this kind of experience that really makes this place feel like a home away from home.

Handing in my keys was definitely the saddest part of my entire trip. I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank kimberleyrawes

Dear kimberleyrawes,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and thank you so much for your amazing five star review! Reading your review reminds all of us at the hotel why we choose to work and develop such an amazing property. We all love that you loved it so much. From our lobby playlists to our personalized service to our amazing lush courtyards; we are so pleased that you were able to enjoy it. Please let us know when you are returning as we would love to welcome you back. Thank you, again.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

it's musty......it's old...it's dark...and still working out
the kinks. there are many.

we arrived at the hotel during a massive heat wave and
were told there was no air conditioning.
after a sleepless horrible night...we decided to pay
our bill and check out in search of a cooler spot. not easy,
they gave us a hard time.

unfortunately, I left behind a pair of
fine shoes. I called and was told a note with my
name would be attached to the shoes. I said I would be
back to pick them up on our next visit in about a month.
when I returned during the week indicated
the manager told us the shoes had been thrown out!
no apology...nothing. with arrogance he said that they keep
things in lost and found for only a month. I was two
days late! we travel extensively...and have not
encountered such an attitude.

note: on a positive note...the general staff
tried to be very helpful.

Room Tip: one with cross ventilation facing the front
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank toastanhoney

Dear toastanhoney,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Palihouse Santa Monica. I am sorry to hear that our hotel wasn’t what you were looking for. While we try and please every guest that steps through our doors, we never claim to be for everyone. I am also sorry to hear that we were not able to get your shoes back to you, but I’m sure that you can understand that we cannot be held responsible for items that are left in rooms, even if we attempt to try our best to return those items to our valued guests. Nonetheless, it was a pleasure having you stay with us. If you decide to return to the Santa Monica area, please let us know, as we would like to welcome you back. Thank you, again.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed here in January of 2014 and had a wonderful experience, not only due to the fantastic accommodations, but the friendly staff (from the valet gentlemen, to the room service servers, to the front desk) that made us feel right at home each time we walked in. We were planning to return this week, however needed to cancel last minute due to illness. The friendly staff (via telephone - Gina) was understanding of our unique situation and very helpful, making a good impression and ensuring that we will return to Palihouse SM on our next visit to LA.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Rye H,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and thank you for your five star review. It is amazing to hear how much you enjoyed your accommodations, our amazing staff and our entire hotel. I will be sure and share this review with all of our staff. Please let us know when you will be returning to stay with us. We are already looking forward to it. Thank you, again

Reviewed June 11, 2014

If you are in Santa Monica hoping for the Hollywood tinsel experience, this hotel is not for you. However, if you were longing for the keys to your British uncle's apartment,( a writer perhaps?) who has a charming apartment in a Cali-1920's Spanish style apartment building located in a quiet Santa Monica neighborhood, you hit the jackpot. My suite had a spacious living room, beautiful fully equipped kitchen, dressing room, and bedroom, with both Living and Bedrooms with large flat screen TVs. This beautifully appointed hotel is perfect for a longer stay with shopping and the beach an easy WALK away! Bikes are available and a Bocci Ball pitch is situated in the courtyard. There is no gym, no pool and no air-conditioning but with the huge French Door windows open and the ceiling fan on, your room is more than adequately cooled by the ocean breeze. The hotel is evocative of a more genteel time. If you want to feel like a Hollywood mogul or star, there are glitzier options available. If you want a home away from home, this might be your best option.

Room Tip: My room, 202, was an enormous suite.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank frequenttravel09
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear frequenttravel09,

Thank you for your recent stay and thank you for your four star review! We are all so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It is a pleasure to know that you found our accommodations so comfortable and pleasing. Please let us know when you will be returning to stay with us, as we are already looking forward to it. Thank you again

Finest Regards