“History! Class! Hospitality!”

Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
“History! Class! Hospitality!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Let me just start by saying....

GO STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

The good:

1.) Service... outstanding! From the minute I arrived at the car valet, to checking in, to having breakfast the next day, to checking out, I felt absolutely welcome and at home. Everyone was exceptionally friendly, welcoming, and genuine.

2.) Decor.... amazing! The minute you enter the grounds, you feel you're stepping back in time. I really enjoyed the pictures throughout the hotel from the same photographer. Be sure to take time to check them out.

3.) Rooms.... fantastic! The rooms are very large, very tasteful, fully stocked with wonderful amenities, beds are comfortable and come with excellent linens, bathroom is large and has been remodeled but has the feeling of the property's original design (as does the entire room itself actually.)

4.) Location.... great! 2 short blocks to an amazing ocean view and only a few blocks to the pier.

Room tip: Ask for room 310. It's a corner unit with a large window facing towards the ocean that provides a great view. (Does only have a queen bed though.)

All in all, a fantastic hotel with excellent service and a great blend of modern upgrades and classic appearance. You can't go wrong!

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Sandiegoamc
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Sandiegoamc,

Thank you for your wonderful five-star review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Palihouse Santa Monica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Just checked out of the lovely Palihouse Santa Monica today and didn't want to leave! One night is definitely not long enough at this historic boutique hotel. First off, I work in the hotel industry in Los Angeles, where four star boutique hotels are a dime a dozen. What I loved about Palihouse is that the hotel feels more like a Mediterranean castle than a historic 1920s apartment building. It was easy to tell that the new owners put a lot of care into restoring the many details that make the building as special as it really is. Although renovated, the hotel still retained its charm from a bygone era that felt more like a beachside retreat from The Great Gatsby than a boutique hotel.

First thing that I loved was the exterior architecture that reminded me of another iconic LA property, the Chateau Marmont. Although surrounded by mid-century apartments, the hotel takes on a character all of its own making you feel a world away from the craziness of the rest of the city. The lobby was beautiful - again, renovated, but without losing its historic charm. The front desk rep (I think his name was Dan) was exceptional and made us feel so welcome during our stay.

We stayed in a one-bedroom residence and WOW can we say space?! Santa Monica hotels are not known for large rooms, so I was pleasantly surprised to see how large the room actually was. Decked out with a full kitchen, spacious living room and bedroom, and tons of closet space, the room was perfect for a family stay. I also enjoyed all the small details that made the room unique: old fashioned books and luggage stacked in random places, custom-made wall paper unlike any I've seen before, Palihouse mugs with signature bird designs, etc.

The hotel is located on 3rd Street, as in the 3rd Street Promenade, which we found to be only a short two-minute walk from the hotel. We loved being so close to everything, but feeling like we were so far away once back inside the hotel. 3rd Street was lovely this time of year all festive for the holiday season.

We were sad to check out after only one night, but we'll be back. I am so glad to have found such a charming place to stay in Santa Monica (especially with 75 degree weather in December!) and would highly recommend it to anyone, especially those needing larger accommodations, or seeking a historic, authentic LA boutique hotel experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HotelGuy27
PalihouseManagement, General Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear HotelGuy27,

Thank you for your wonderful five-star review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon!

Finest regards,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 15, 2013

What a charming place to call home for a few days! I only meant to stay for one night but I loved staying here SO much that I booked a second night. The ceiling was super high and the layout was adorable. Hats off to the designer. Really delightful decor. The fully equip kitchen chocked full of Dean and Deluca snacks came in handy in the middle of the night. The pillows and bed were super comfortable. I found a nearby parking space with no trouble. The location is PERFECT and the staff were all kind and incredibly helpful. I am changing my Christmas plans to stay here with my adult children. The penthouse is simply gorgeous! With Third Street Promenade just a short walk, I am so grateful to have found this rare gem.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Marseas,

Thank you for your wonderful five-star review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us! We are so pleased that you found our staff helpful and accommodation enjoyable. Please let us know when you will be returning as we would love to welcome you back.

Thank you, again, and Happy Holidays!

Finest regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here at the end of our honeymoon just for one night. Great place to stay, easy walking distance to the Pier and main shopping area. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Room was just lovely, really cosy and clean. Loved the 'preppy' style decor. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear IsabelP85,

Thank you for your five-star review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. We are so pleased that you found our staff and accommodation enjoyable. We are already looking forward to your next stay with us!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights in July 2013. Beautiful restoration of an old hotel. There are not many of these classic LA buildings. My friend in Hollywood lives in a building that's almost identical to this hotel. The way the kitchen, bathrooms and windows are set up.

Beautiful rooms, amazing Apple wifi router in each room. Nice desks. Great beds and bathrooms.

Since it's situated in a neighborhood setting, the hotel is truly relaxing. Just far away enough from the busy section of 3rd st promenade.

If you want a unique hotel experience and almost taken back in time, you should stay here at least once if you travel to Santa Monica.

Room Tip: Junior suite was really nice. If you can get the one with a balcony, it's worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear JAELEEAHP,

Thank you for your four star review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

San Francisco
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

As cool as they try to be, it's a hotel squeezed into an old building in a residential neighborhood. When I arrived, the valet parking was full, so I had to come inside and for a $200 hold on my credit card they gave me a parking pass so I could circle the block seven times to find parking. They gave me a very upgraded room, which I really appreciate...although it made me concerned for what a non-upgraded room was like. It appears that they invested a lot to have hip, new furnishings, but they still have single pane windows which provide no soundproofing, no AC so it was stuffy at night, and the smallest bathroom and strangest tub/shower situation I have ever seen. Overall, I just didn't find this to be a convenient and comfortable place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Minibarmuncher
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Minibarmuncher,

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you had so many challenges with valet parking. Please note that we are continuing to improve that service daily. While we are pleased to hear that we were able to offer you an upgrade, we are sorry to hear that you didn’t find your accommodations to be acceptable. We definitely offer a unique and very special product and it is clearly not for everyone. Nonetheless, we all appreciate you giving us an opportunity and greatly appreciate your business. Thank you, again

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 17, 2013

If you like history, if you like quirk, if you like Santa Monica, if you like that old-school but slightly updated Hollywood feeling, then this hotel is for you. Two blocks from the beach, the Palihouse puts you in a creative-relaxed mood the minute you walk through the gates.

It's not for everyone. If you need a fast-fast-fast business hotel with all the amenities, then you might not like this. But if you like character and style and you like a hotel that is unique to itself, then try this place. Friendly staff, delicious food, the coolest hang-out lobby in LA, it's just awesome. I want to move in and live there.

Room Tip: The one-bedroom residence is massive, comfy, and peaceful.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear JordanScott,

Thank you for your five-star review! We are so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and we are already looking forward to your next stay with us.

Cheers!