“Best Hamburger ever!”
Review of Pono Burger

Pono Burger
Reserve with OpenTable
Pono Burger is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 691 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Description: Pono Burger is a neighborhood destination where Chef Makani uses organic, farm fresh ingredients to create handcrafted burgers made with integrity that, above all, taste great. Her burgers feature organic, grass-fed beef cooked on a wood-burning grill, organic French fries, two vegetarian burgers, a farmers market salad, organic ice cream milkshakes, local wines and craft beers. We also take reservations for parties of 8 or more. Come in to see us soon!
Indianapolis
“Best Hamburger ever!”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Ate lunch here with my family of 5, including 3 teenagers. It was the best tasting hamburger meat we have ever had. It had an excellent grilled/smoked flavor that we have never tasted before. I highly recommend it!

• Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
“Dinner with teenage boys”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Had dinner last night at Ponos. Fun setting and great service. Delicious food. My discerning teenagers were impressed! No actual desserts on the menu apart from milkshakes but the burger and fries portions were huge and filling anyway. $90 for the four of us. Free parking in alley available so don't use the valet parking like we did! Would strongly recommend!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Stella S
ca
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A taste of Paradise...well almost :-)”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I heard about Pono Burger after visiting Ultimate Burger on the Big Island of Hawaii a few years ago. Since then I had been awaiting the opening of "UB East" as I learned they would be opening in Santa Monica. As the date got delayed a few times I kinda forgot about it. Then we actually took another trip back to Kona so I really hadn't thought about it again until the other day.

We loved these on the big Island (we literally jump off the airplane and head to UB) so this past week I was off work and decided to take my wife and daughter to Pono Burger. The burgers were fresh, delicious but unfortunately no pineapple!!! Since its not locally available its not an option on the menu. :-( Uggh. However the french fries were delicious and the sauce incredible.

As we were leaving I saw this burger come out of the kitchen that looked like Heaven with some stacked onion rings that just simply looked amazing. I think it's called the Paniolo ~ I didn't even know it was on the menu since I just ordered the Classic, two patties, cheddar cheese, bacon and the carmalized onions. Oh well. Looks like it was my loss so I'll be back to wrangle one of those beauties.

I do have to agree with another review, the metal wire seats were very uncomfortable and they mark your legs if you are wearing shorts. Think they should reconsider the seating. Also, the meal is definitely on the pricey side, almost $70 for three burgers (2 of them doubles), two orders of fries and a couple of drinks.

To sum it up, I'll take UB West any day of the week as it means we are back on the Big Island but Pono Burger is as close as we can get to paradise, minus the pineapple. :-)

ps. Pono Burger, please get a bigger fryer so we can enjoy those tantalizing onion rings as a side item.

Thank you and Enjoy everyone!

South Padre Island, Texas
“Very exotic burgers....or classic”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We had a very rushed lunch here beofre flying out of LAX. The burgers where obviously much higher quality meat than almost every other burger joint I can remember. They had a number of burger compilations which combined ingredients so foreign to even a gourmet burger assemblage that it was hard to even image what each would taste like. Luckily our server pointed out a award winning offering and added in her favorite. My wife and I got one of each cut in half to share them. They were very very different, in a good way. Tasty we will go back given the opportunity.

Chandlers Ford
“Fantastic homemade burgers”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

An odd looking restaurant in an old tin shack. All the food they served was organic and locally sourced. The burgers were great, you could make your own, there was a massive list of what you could add, or choose from their specials, I had one with fig and bacon with sweet potato fries which made a lovely change. The service was quick and the staff were all very friendly. Check their web site out the full menu is on there but would definitely go back