“Meh overall... Be wary of attitude!”
Review of Lula

Lula
Reserve with OpenTable
Lula is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 693 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: hill & ashland
Description: From the moment you walk into Lula, you are greeted with festive artwork from such respected chicano artists as Eloy Torrez, George Yepes, Carlos Almaras & Frank Romero. The cuisine is truly traditional Mexican with recipes from every corner of Mexico. Tamales & tortillas are made everyday in our kitchen. With over 500 Tequilas, Lula Cocina Mexicana is the largest Tequila bar in Los Angeles.
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just ate there since the hotel recommended it for authentic Mexican food. We walked over, and it has the typical Mexican restaurant ambience. We were served salsa and chips, which the salsa was spicy and delicious in all the right ways. When asked what we would like to order, I asked what was recommended. The waitress said the poblano tamales. My boyfriend got the poblano chicken burrito. Needless to say I was disappointed with the tamales, I guess I was expected more. Literally corn mush, cheese, and poblano. Meh, boring and not much taste. I guess I was expecting a boom of flavor for $14.50. The waitress came back over and asked how the meal was, which I stated "yeah its okay," I apparently wasn't able to hide my disappointment, and my boyfriend called me out on it. The waitress scoffed at me and said "you make me laugh," and started giving me attitude. She said "people come from all over the world to have this tamale dish." She did offer to get me another dish but based on her attitude I didn't want my food spit in so I declined. I figured it was my own fault for letting someone else pick my dish as well and didn't want to be that mic of a pain. My boyfriends chicken burrito was decent, and came with a good slice of avocado (we switched dishes, and the waitress was making little comments and scoffs every time she walked by). I paid $11 for a margarita that tasted like blended ice and cheap tequila. Overall a disappointment considering everyone's rave reviews, both the food and the service. Wouldn't recommend.

There are newer reviews for Lula

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The food was pretty good, but it is the crowd that was the draw, very yummy all the way around, check this place out, have a few drinks and walk this area, fun!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I had maybe too high expectations
cause the place was packed.
Good atmosphere good cocktails.
We waited a long time for drinks, 20 mins.
But they were super delisious. Mango margaritas yum!
So i thought hmm,,a little lobester taco, why not, bad move...it was only a two bite experience but it must have been from the batch the day before. Yikes stomacl pains.

Stick to the chips and salsa!
And you're sure to have a lula of a time.
Cheers
X

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is one of my favorite Mexican places in Los Angeles especially with a large group of people. Great service, good food, variety of entrees, and beautifully decorated. I think it's a great place to take visitors as well. The vegetarian dishes are superb.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

incredible Mexican food, great atmosphere, and unsurpassed selection of tequilas!! Southern California is full of Mexican restaurants, but this one is one of the very best. Great choice in Santa Monica!