“Sorry we came here.”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Terrible, rude service. Average food. Long, long wait for food after ordering. No refills offered on coffee.

Sounds like we came at the wrong time, doesn't it? Actually, we came off hours on purpose after reading of the long waits here. We came for breakfast on a Wednesday at 10:30. There were empty tables in the patio area and two waiters serving that area. We were seated after about a 10 minute wait. Another 10 min. or so before the waiter came to ask for drinks and to take our order. He never smiled or made eye contact. Should have been a clue.

We ordered a veggie omelet, orange blueberry pancakes and two coffees. Our coffee came about 5 min. later - but our food took a full 40 minutes. And they weren't busy. Okay.

The food was okay, but nothing special. We managed to flag down a different waiter and ask for more coffee. It was to be our only refill as our original waiter never even glanced at our table. Well, what should we expect for $3.50 a cup coffee?

Yes, we were hugely disappointed with Cora's. I had read other reviews warning of the indifferent service here, but wasn't too worried as we are pretty laid back, patient people. But I was wrong. So wrong.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have lived near and driven by this cute little place for probably 20 years. Recently a friend invited me to choose any place I wanted for my birthday, and I chose Cora's. I'd always wanted to try it. The ambiance is a row of two tables under a canopy of plants. It looks cuter on the outside. Why anyone would want to eat overlooking Pico Blvd is beyond me. The wait staff was very courteous and attentive. I ordered some kind of a duck salad, and my friend and I split lamb sliders. When the salad came, I thought the arugula and fig were excellent, but the duck was gristly, fatty, bunches of skin and very tough. What I didn't like was the dressing. It was very, very salty. I tried eating different parts of the salad to see if a heavy hand had just oversalted one section. But I realized it was the dressing. So, having tried 5 bites of the salad, I told the waiter that I just couldn't eat it, it was way too salty for me. He asked if I would like something different. So, I went to my safety food, a Caesar Salad. The waiter went inside, and returned to tell me that the Chef said "There's salt in that too." As if to say, I don't cook for people like you. Without so much as a "here's a little taste of the Caesar, see if you're ok with that" he dismissed my choice out of hand. I should have left at that point. I've never been so insulted. For the chef to take such offense to what I offered as just my personal dissatisfaction turned into an assault on my judgment and a basic lack of willingness to feed me anything else. Looking back, I realize I should have left immediately. That they ended up with $60 of my friends money now seems insane. Needless to say, I'll never go back.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is an amazing little place that does not look like a coffee shop. It's a beautiful airy place on Ocean Avenue with delicious steak and arugula salad, egg dishes, and coffee. Perfect for a casual brunch/lunch.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Food was great. We ate next to the kitchen and had very friendly and efficient service. I would eat their again.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Restaurant posted as opening at 7am. I was in Santa Monica on business and my co-worker and myself and arrived 7:05. We had coffee and waited and waited another 20 minutes. We were on a time schedule so we had to leave as they were no where close to opening. During that time frame the owner was there and was very rude to both myself and my co-worker. In addition, we were charged a ridiculous amount for our two cups of coffee. I have been to this restaurant many times in the past as a tourist and was looking forward to breakfast. The owner needs to learn to either open on time or the basics of customer service.

2  Thank TomAnnBocaRaton