“Eh”

Mariasol Cocina Mexicana
Ranked #63 of 693 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located at the very end of the picturesque Santa Monica Pier, Mariasol serves mouthwatering Mexican fare reminiscent of that found in the Mexican beach towns of Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. Visitors enjoy the vivacious colors of the patios and the decor of a true Baja Cantina. Mariasol's use of distinctive sauces, flavorful peppers and fresh fish make this cuisine a favorite among food lovers. Lunch and dinner are served daily.
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I don't imagine too many people go out of their way to come here, but rather come here because of where it is. At the end of Santa Monica pier with outdoor seating, it probably gets a lot of wanderers (which is how I ended up there).
I dread to think how busy it must get around Mariasol during the summer, given the busy lunch service on a sunny Saturday in March.
I took a seat inside rather than wait for one outside. I ordered cheese nachos and a cocktail called a Mariasol Special. The cocktail was nice but it was just a watered-down Bahama Mama or Sex on the Beach type of drink. The cheese nachos where H U G E. Great value for money but I had to leave most of it behind. It tasted fine, but not terribly exciting. Because of the busyness, it all seemed a bit mass-produced.
Service was fine, given that the servers were running around so many people.

So, if you're hungry and nearby, try Mariasol. But head back to town if you want something a little less frantic and a lot tastier.

There are newer reviews for Mariasol Cocina Mexicana

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Wandered out to the pier for lunch. Passed by a few places and stopped here because afforded a view of the surf and beach but had a great musician playing a timpani. My husband's seafood enchiladas were filled with crab, shrimp, etc and served with a nice cream sauce, rice and beans. I had a really good cheese quesadilla. His peach margarita was quite good and beer was cold. We got a free souvenir post card and enjoyed a quickly served meal. Great stop

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have been to Marisol Cocina numerous times over the year and the food has never been exceptional, but always fairly good. This time I had seafood enchiladas which were pretty much tasteless. My husband had sopa de pescado which was bad. They used broccoli, a lot of broccoli, which totally overwhelmed the fish. Any decent cook should know that a delicate fish soup cannot stand up to the flavor of a vegetable with as heavy a flavor as broccoli. It is unfortunate that their food had become so substandard, they have a wonderful location and could charge a premium if their food and service were stunning.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I had been hoping to get some fantastic Mexican food while in California. Unfortunately, Mariasol was the only Mexican restaurant I tried, and I was very disappointed. The food was cooked well, but there was apparently no seasoning. Even the salsa was bland. On the other hand, my Mai Tai was quite good, and all the birds and fish hanging from the ceiling were interesting.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Okay, it's on the pier, so that's a plus. But the food was nasty. I ordered the shrimp cocktail -- the shrimp were okay but they were served in watery tomato sauce -- yuk. My husband ordered guacamole dip and the waiter brought a mushroom quesadilla instead. My husband could only eat part of the quesadilla which was overcooked and dry. We suspect the waiter purposely misunderstood his order so he could make us spend more money. The beer is the only thing I can recommend. Food is overpriced and not good and the service was barely adequate.