“Average”

Ranked #480 of 691 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Description: Long time local family owned and operated restaurant serving Santa Monica since 1967. Classic Mexican fare with a full bar and most popular for Margarita's
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is closer to being a Mexican restaurant as anything else, but there’s something undefinable about its menu. It’s different, anyway. The restaurant itself looks run down, and comes across as a throwback to a bygone age, namely the early 80’s. I was there for lunch on a Sunday, it was quiet, the service was OK even though they weren’t busy, and the food was so so. There were plenty of drinkers there too. I would imagine that on popular nights, it would be packed, loud, with slow service, but that’s just a guess. But I’d stick with that guess, so for myself, if I were back in the area I wouldn’t look it up as a place to have dinner.

• Visited October 2013

New York City, New York
“Excellent food & drinks”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I came here for a quick happy hour and the food was excellent. I will definitely be coming back here for an actual dinner.

Visited December 2013
boca raton florida
“If you like 1970s dive Mexican joints”
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Been coming to the Escobar for years. The food is funky cal mex and there are some decent items on the menu like the cheese enchilada. I rate the atmosphere as a five only because the 1970s red decorator colors just scream dive. You will find some hard core locals drinking their lunch and a lounge singer on some evenings. Come for the funkiness and not necessarily the food.

FlyersFanInLA
“Place Smells Like an Old Bar”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

When you walk in the front door of this old school joint, it smells like a drink got spilled and not cleaned up about 35 years ago. Nice people. Drinkers for lunch (yikes). Food is very traditional mexican/american.

• Visited October 2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Knockout Margheritas”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This was 4 stars for the cocktails but only 2 for the food! We easily got a table at 7.30 on a Thursday evening and were shown in almost total darkness to a comfortable but slightly shabby booth. Our eyes slowly became accustomed to the light and we found ourselves in a lively bar/restaurant. After ordering Margheritas, we looked over the menus...and I can't really remember much else. The food was pretty substandard Mex fare, and we ate most of it but would have been forgettable even without the very strong drinks. The service was efficient and friendly and we left feeling quite satisfied (I think...)

• Visited August 2011