“Good Food/Average Service/High Price”
Review of M.A.K.E. Restaurant - CLOSED

M.A.K.E. Restaurant
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: 4th street
Description: Located inside Santa Monica Place, M.A.K.E. is a living foods restaurant, featuring cutting edge plant-based cuisine. The menu is executed under the guidance of raw food chef and author, Matthew Kenney. The restaurant is located adjacent to Matthew Kenney Culinary, a state- of-the- art raw food Academy. The restaurant's menu features innovative ideas inspired by seasonal, local produce, as well as many of Matthew's classic raw food dishes. Santa Monica is the perfect atmosphere to experience this contemporary and health-conscious cuisine.The dining area of M.A.K.E. has three main components: a communal omakase-style bar where guests will watch our chefs prepare a tasting menu, or have a chance to experience our unique, fresh pressed juice or cocktails; an airy dining room accented with natural woods and fabrics, and a full service outdoor patio.Philosophy:We believe that good food and health go hand in hand. Everything we do is based upon our desire to bring together culinary art and ultimate nutrition. In our efforts to achieve this goal, we employ innovative techniques and creative thinking to prepare minimally processed, plant-based cuisine that is delicious, vibrant and nutritious. We strive to uphold the highest standards of the dining experience by exhibiting a conservative, yet elegantly, modern approach to raw cuisine; creating synergy between the grass-roots beginnings of raw food with the sophistication of fine dining.
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I love raw food vegan cuisine so I was looking forward to dining here. The food was good, but not spectacular. The service was was very slow and the waiter was not particularly friendly. There was almost a vibe that we were an inconvenience. There were two of us eating lunch here and the bill with tip was over $100. A very expensive lunch for just good food and average service.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I used to frequent another raw food restaurant in Santa Monica, but when we got there we saw it had closed down, after googling we came across this place and we're glad we did!
The previous reviewers review made me laugh when commenting on the food being cold, most raw food restaurants do not heat their food, if they do it's generally only slightly warm due I think to the general belief that heating breaks down some of the enzymes of the food thus the nutritional value going down.
Ok now to the food, we shared the cheese plate, hummus plate and one order of the lasagna, all was delicious and extremely fresh tasting. I'll admit even for someone who has eaten at raw food restaurants before the appearance of the lasagna when it was delivered to the table made me think I shouldn't expect much, as pretty as it looked I thought to myself 'It's just raw tomatoes and zucchini with some tree nut cheese again in it, but it was absolutely wonderful tasting, it tasted like a veggie lasagna (but yes with a different temperature) and was so fresh, the taste of the pesto and tree nut cheese made to taste like ricotta were perfectly flavored.
The restaurant is part of 'The Market' at the top of the outside mall area and is designed nicely..
It is definitely more pricey than a normal restaurant and the menu is more limited, but what this means is they have perfected the items that are on their menu to make them the best tasting they can be which to me, if wanting something different is very much worth spending the extra money.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Be adventuresome and try this 'raw' cuisine. Healthy flavorful and an awesome surprise! I recommend the faux cheese platter, Clean Green Juice, Mushroom Taco Mole', Peppered Kelp with dried olives, and the Lasagna. Do not miss the apple pie! Felt great, healthy choices, but total bil for three for lunch $123.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

OK, I am a traditional foodie, not a raw foodie with a vegan bent. Nevertheless, when a friend suggested this place for lunch, my inclination was to give it a shot. The mall setting was minimized by the extraordinary architecture in each "stall" as well as diffused sunshine making the area sparkle and shine without making me squint. However, when we shared a "cheese" plate of cheddar, truffle and something else that had no relationship to cheese flavors, I began to fret. The vegan crackers served with the fromage were extraordinary, but crackers do not a meal make. We followed by sharing the mushroom tacos and something else with vinegared fennel on top. Yikes! While the mushroom tacos were edible with a black bean/cumin flavor, the "something else" was too far out there for me. We ended with the chocolate cake which, for the Valrhona lover in me, was too date and fig-filled for me. Where was the cacao? The apple "pie" was interesting, with subtle spices, but the whole experience was too precious for me. The food wasn't good enough, and the service was awful. The waitress did not look over when it was time for the check, and we were inadvertently served more courses than we ordered.

Sorry that I couldn't rate this higher. I really wanted to.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I never knew raw food could be this over the top. The whole experience was amazing. It was also neat to see their attached culinary raw food classroom.