“Planet Raw is closed”
Review of Raw - CLOSED

Raw
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We've eaten at Planet Raw many times over the last three years, probably over 25 times. It's one of the best raw food restaurants we've been to. Unfortunately, the restaurant is no longer open. The signs are gone, and the place is vacant. I don't know what happened, but they are gone.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Found the atmosphere to be quite hip and contemporary. Quite loud music playing. For myself, I prefer the more humble type of vegan/vegetarian/raw restaurant so I would not go here again. However, I would recommend it for some people. I found that portions especially the kelp pasta (cheesy but not cheesy) could be bigger as I was very hungry after and the dish cost me about $13.00.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was our last raw food place we visited while being in States earlier this year ( spring 2012). Before it was Chicago (Karin's), Fresno (ReViv cafe), SF (Gratitude). Interesting experience I place called First Raw food place in the World. Cozy atmosphere, crowded, simple interior, quite dark so difficult to read menu. For us raw food ( we are 5 years raw) means pure taste of everything you eat - vegetables, fruits.... Here it was too salty, spicy for us, quite simple shape and delivery, in most cases mixture of many things, so it was easy to lose main idea of the meal. So was good to compare, but definitely not the best experience in raw world.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

When I lived in Santa Monica, Planet Raw was one of my favorite restaurants. It's pricey, but it's worth it for how good you feel after you eat there. It was the perfect place to celebrate my last birthday in the neighborhood before I moved. Friends and I dined on their Cheezy Kelp pasta, Pinot Noir and chocolate cheeze cake and mousse. Great place for a peaceful and energizing girl's night out. I used to stop by on the go for a green superfood drink they had called, "Alien Blood." It was addictively delicious. The owner, Julian, was always hanging out around the corner, usually on a laptop. He's not the warmest or friendliest owner, and sometimes the staff wasn't that warm and welcoming, either. But other times, we had a great waitress who patiently answered our questions about the menu. I encourage you to ask LOTS of questions so you have the best shot of getting a dish you'll like. I liked that he offered raw food prep classes so you could learn how to make your own dishes, and how the menu was educational (eat dessert before entree for better digestion!).

If you're not into raw food entrees, I'd recommend at least trying a wine and dessert. Raw desserts are my favorite, and Planet Raw makes some goodies. I also would skip the inside dining - too cramped. The outside dining area is nice and relaxing.

There was another raw restaurant I went to in Huntington Beach that was less expensive and less gourmet. I've also been to 118 Degrees in Costa Mesa and Pure Food and Wine gourmet raw restaurant in NYC. I'd say Planet Raw was one of the best so far, in my opinion. Au Lac in Fountain Valley gets my #1 vote. Karyn's Raw in Chicago gets my #2.

I'm not vegan or a strict raw foodie, but I am a yoga instructor and I've catered events with raw food which was a big hit. I'm a Whole Foods/farmers market shopper on a gluten, sugar and yeast-free diet and love any food that makes you feel great.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am not a vegan or raw " foodest " and I love this food! Every dish I have ordered exceeds expectation in flavor and creativity. You will forget you are eating raw and healthy .Great wines, casual fun service and reasonable prices makes this a must experience for anyone traveling to Santa Monica for some "real SoCal culture.".