“Great food, not so hot on the experience”

Hillstone Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 694 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I went to Hillstone last night with our daughter. The general decor is good with a predominantly booth layout. The meal was not extensive, but had plenty of variety. A mixture sushi, fish and meat. Our server was pleasant and helpful regard in the menu. The food was terrific. Very tasty and in portions that were satisfying without leaving you feeling stuffed. The rotisserie chicken was very simple in its presentation, but tasted great. We order guacamole to start which was also very good. One big complaint though: they were pushing very hard to turn tables. The whole experience felt very rushed. I simply don't like people hovering and moving in to clear the tables while others are still eating. I challenged our waitress on why the rush. She told me she would get into trouble if the tables weren't cleared promptly. I think the customer should make that type of decision. If you want the table cleared quickly then you should drive that. Clearing tables and pushing desert while some are still eating their entree is not what I expect at this price point.
For the quality of the food: excellent. For the overall experience: poor.

There are newer reviews for Hillstone Restaurant

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Just stumbled across this place as it was near the hotel. Its just a couple of streets back from the beach and serves a variety of stuff- sushi to steak. The food was all really good and the service excellent

2  Thank aileneoh
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Hillstone owns the Palm Beach Grill in Palm Beach. One of our favorite places to dine. We had to give it a shot and they exceeded our expectations. The manager was incredibly cordial and professional.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

This restaurant is part of the Houston chain, which are better quality places in better neighborhoods. The Hillstone is no exception. The service was great and the food was very good. We had a burger and a rainbow roll from the Sushi bar. Both were good with generous sized portions. We sat upstairs which was a little quieter and I thought nicer.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Thanks to a one of the local competitors very rude hostess's phone manners, we made that second call, thankfully to Hillstone's, where we got a much nicer reception AND reservations for a Saturday night dinner for 6.

What a great place, lively great looking crowd and ambiance. Our server, Melissa was great and seemed to enjoy our hi-jinks - celebrating a 21st birthday. Mom and Auntie out with the younger girls and having a great time.

The food and service was fabulous, not to mention, no wait with that reservation. Our table was waiting for us, and there were people waiting in the lobby. Nice.

Some of the table favs were the Spicy Tuna Macadamian Nut Sushi and the Thai Steak Salad, We also inhaled the Guacalmole and we are all picky Guac eaters, but gave theirs a thumbs up. The ribs fell off the bone and had a nice flavor.

Interacted with several of the servers as we ended up in the kitchen area going the wrong way to the bathrooms and slipped and slided on the flooring there. All were young funny and nice.

I can't wait to go back - I hear the Artichoke is pretty yummy and I will ask for Melissa for sure!!

Bonus would be the proximity to the beach walk or the nightlife, great for a date night or family gathering.