“Hello Ivy!”
Review of Ivy at the Shore

Ivy at the Shore
Reserve with OpenTable
Ivy at the Shore is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 705 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Broadway
Reviewed August 24, 2014

The first time I heard about this place was in the movie Monster in Law. Of course in the movie they filmed at the LA location and this is in Santa Monica. Well in case you’re wondering I didn’t see JLo but I saw quite a bunch of other famous folks.

The Santa Monica Ivy has by far one the best decors I’ve ever seen in a restaurant. I’ve been to some Michelin places that don’t even come close to the atmosphere of this place. The gorgeous embroidered pillows, the lemon and flower arrangements make the Ivy look dreamlike.

I think that the let down for some people comes from the expectation that a restaurant like this should be serving more sophisticated cuisine. This is not the case. The food here is very traditional, almost has the quality of a home cooked meal. The portions are huge too compared to NY restaurants. I can tell you that the pasta I had was the best pasta I’ve ever had in the US and that’s saying something. Not to mention that this place is full of celebrities, film producers and directors. If the food was so bad those people wouldn’t be dinning there.

I guess at the end of the day my personal complain about the Ivy is the staff. They seem somewhat judgmental as to whether you’re a wealthy patron or not. They size you up, so to say. The reason I’m saying this is because the day of my visit I was with a friend of mine and originally they sat us at the side wing that is facing the ocean. Sounds great but we asked to be moved considering the table we got was so cramped that we had to eat with our shopping bags in our laps, not to mention the lack of view. Annoyed, they moved us inside right next to the entrance considering there were so many tables available. It was a plus and a minus given that we saw everyone who came and went but it was also uncomfortable, made us feel exposed. I have to wonder if they would have treated us this way if we were famous. I guess the fact that my friend dressed way too casually didn’t help, but still, one would expect the same service and consideration.

Despite that I would still go back as in this case I feel like the positive outweighs the negative.

1  Thank LelooTravel

Reviewed August 23, 2014

We went to several very well known restaurants during our stay in California and The Ivy at the Shore was hands down the best in food and service. The interior decoration of the restaurant was very pretty and the flowers were fresh! Amazing food and the service was excellent. Very attentive but not overdone. I will definitely return to this restaurant on my next visit and if anyone is considering going to The Ivy at the Shore, I highly recommend that you do and have the profiteroles for dessert!! The price was reasonable for the quality and quantity of the food and the service and ambiance perfect. Can't wait to there again on my next trip.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

Enjoyed a wonderful meal at the Ivy with my family.
Scallops were divine, desserts delicious and cocktails had quite a kick!! The service was attentive and the decor was lovely and kitch!! Fresh flowers on every table.
Not a cheap meal but worth it!!

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We walked past Ivy at the Shore multiple times before giving into temptation and we were so glad that we did.

Boozy cocktails, delicious food, a sea breeze and a colourful setting. We started with calamari and then I had a Thai fish curry and my husband had scallops. The seafood was excellent.

Whilst seating was a little squashed in the conservatory and we nearly sent the table settings flying whilst trying to negotiate three huge menus in a tight space, we loved our Ivy experience and would highly recommend it for any foodies who are visiting Santa Monica.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We had a delicious brunch! The crab omelet was my favorite. Decoration is different, but very pretty. The waitress was extremely nice and even offered us champagne as compliment of the house. The price is not lovely, but was worth it.