“The best in a long, long time...”
Review of Capo

Capo
Reserve with OpenTable
Capo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #97 of 693 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Pico
Transit: Big Blue Bus on Pacific and Ocean Park Blvd.
Description: Capo faire, a modern Italian style cuisine, offers a rustic yet elegant dining room with high-beamed ceilings, flickering candles and a brightly burning corner fireplace. Capo has an extensive wine list of over 130 bottles as well as a full bar.
Reviewed August 22, 2014

WOW, we have tried to go here time and time again and couldn't get a reservation. It is very - VERY pricey, but delicious, from the bread to the dessert. And in between -- Steak Tartare -- corn ravioli -- frisee salad and soft shell crab -- each one uniquely wonderful. We had a great 1/2 bottle of wine -- an Italian blend --- with tip came to over $500 for 2, but we had a lot to celebrate and it was worth it. (wine was 1/2 the bill). I high recommend CAPO, and don't forget the classic chocolate soufflé for dessert -- it is awesome.

1  Thank MikeLudin
There are newer reviews for Capo

Reviewed July 27, 2014

The concierge at the hotel I was at sent us to Capo after our first choice of restaurants proved to be unavailable. Boy was I glad it worked at that way. This is a smallish, rustic restaurant with real character, and an extremely nice owner and staff who give you the royal treatment without being pretentious about it. The food was nothing short of amazing; everyone in my group of seven raved about their individual courses. I had the veal scaloppini - which was awesome. I tried everyone else's dishes of course; the pasta was out of this world, too. I will definitely be going back!

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We had a late flight out and our luggage was still at the Viceroy hotel so we decided to go for a stroll and get dinner before we left for the airport. Right across the road we noticed a fairly nondescript place and made an enquiry, as we walk in we were surprised to find a intimate dining room filled with people, a lovely bar, a cooking fire and kitchen. We were dressed casually for the plane and felt a little underdressed, but the staff took no notice of that and found us a table. The food was fabulous, the staff were great and knew their stuff. My husband loved discussing Australian wines with our waiter. It can be pricey depending on how many courses you choose or what you choose. You get what you pay for. I would definitely recommend Capo and hope to get there again one day. We dined with our adult daughter I would not recommend young children.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

While visiting my daughter, granddaughter in Santa Monica, she took me there. We were promptly seated and Elliott was our server. He graciously welcomed us and took our drink orders, I prefer bourbon, however, the wine selection is amazing. He brought two samples for tasting and then shared the specials of the evening with us. We chose the grilled lobster as an appetizer and I had the grilled caesar salad which was awesome. Then comes the main course...we chose the wood grilled Filet Mignon which was huge, but the wood grill flavor was out of this world. We topped the evening off with the Flour less Chocolate Souffle which we are still drooling over! Please visit this restaurant if you are in Santa Monica. We could walk there and what and take in the ocean view while walking.I would suggest if you have children, make your reservations early.The server, host and the entire waitstaff were friendly and I will certainly visit again!

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I made a reservation for 2 at this restaurant based on positive mentions from the LA wine community. One glance at the online wine list showed me it has a carefully selected 1,000 positions, mostly younger, with wines ranging from domestic rose to four figure Bordeauxs and Burgundies, and a nice collection of Harlan, Screaming Eagle, Diamond Creek, Kistler, Moraga, Turley, etc. We made the drive over from Beverly Hills in about 45 minutes, had a little trouble locating the restaurant as it is smaller, much more low-key than the bigger more commercial restaurants surrounding it on Ocean Ave. The valet parking was welcome as there is restricted parking in this area with a very watchful traffic violations crew.
We arrived a little early, and the place was bustling with many parties waiting at the bar, with the host trying to juggle all of the reservations as best he could. The ambiance was more low-key than I expected, with guests in ordinary sports clothing, volume level was fairly high with lots of loud talking, music was being pumped from the back (from Pixies to kitsch retro), and the tables were fairly crowded together, with the uniformed, largely male waiters skirting expertly in tight confines. After a 40 minute wait, we were seated 25 minutes after our reservation appointment on a side table lined with a wood side board containing different statues and paintings. Justin was our server, a person who obviously loves working at Capo, and he expertly guided us through the menu, giving us the benefit of his many years of experience with it. Wine arrived and was expertly decorked, and tasted: proper temperature, a very dense Cayuse for a hearty meal, the wine bottle rested on the side panel. We had half portions of pasta for appetiser: I had the white corn ravioli with black truffles, my wife the quattro formaggi. The white corn ravioli was hand made from scratch and incorporated delicious sweet corn of the finest calibre: it tasted simple, fresh, and extremely satisfying, the most savoury ravioli I have ever had--a half portion was not nearly enough. For main courses, we both chose fireplace grilled plates, as they had a cook grilling different meats and fishes in different traps over a large wood fire in the corner. The grilled rabbit was made from a fresh rabbit with tender meat all round, grilled beautifully with light blackening of exterior: simple, honest, very very good. The grilled branzino was also absolutely fresh and expertly grilled with light charring--delicious. Both dishes were well presented, and very memorable. Shared dessert was candied bread pudding, also homemade, wonderful again. A trip to the restroom brings you quite close to the open-plan kitchen, staffed by about 15 sous chefs, working in full battery formation, somewhat under stress. Price for the meal (w/ an expensive bottle of wine) was about $500 for two--somewhat higher than expected. Justin was a wonderful low-key waiter, a fellow wine fan with good knowledge of the food, and the service team was well coordinated. Seating should be more prompt (they apologised for this), and there should be less tables in the room, as it is too crowded for VIP or romantic dinners--if you are seated next to a loud party, or someone with strong perfume you are pretty much doomed from romantic or gastronomic perspective. Value is probably average, as I felt they were pushing prices high on many dishes, but the ingredients are very high quality and expensive no doubt: but lower prices would make this restaurant even more difficult to book. Wine prices were average, maybe a little too high for some bottles, but a few bargains strewn in. I would happily return, perhaps on a week day evening, and order more modest wine next time. The menu is worth exploring further as many plates would certainly be very delicious to me and worthwhile studying.

2  Thank James S