“Great Place - try!!”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We just got back from our really nice dinner at the babalu. It 's quiete, friendly and delicious! Try this Restaurant - it's a Special Tip on Montana ave. Away from the normal Tourist places. We had Great jamaican jerk quicken and Baby BBQ ribs in the Best Marinade ever! Sad that wr are only visitors in Santa Monica so we can't come back soon....

1  Thank oOsteffi

Reviewed April 19, 2010

We live in Boston and visit our daughter in Santa Monica once a year; Babalu has become our favorite restaurant which given the tremendous establishments here says alot! We highly recommend Babalu for the quality of their food and the value for what it costs. Last night we had for dinner, their Shrimp and Grits (phenomenal, with plenty of shrimp spiced with sausage and mouth-watering grits) and Short Ribs (so tender, the meat fell off the bone). We loved their yam (sweet potato) fries so we asked for them instead of the mashed potatoes listed on the menu as accompanying the Short Ribs -- no problem. We shared a Cesar Salad first -- excellent although it was difficult to select which salad among all the great choices! We are not dessert eaters, but their display of fresh pies, cakes and cookies sure looked mouth-watering. No liquor license, but they do offer Han ('Asian Vodka" which was quite good) and a small wine list.

1  Thank GREXUSVI
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I'm traveling on business and stumbled upon Babalu after my originally planned restaurant for the night (Rosti's across the street) was closed for renovation. I'm glad I ended up at Babalu! I had the butter lettuce and feta salad which was delicious! At the suggestion of my waitress, I had the crab enchiladas as my main course. Everything was great - the restaurant is very cozy. I felt very comfortable dining alone. I even brought home some banana brownie pie for dessert. I definitely recommend checking out Babalu.

1  Thank sara514
Reviewed March 4, 2010

Babalu has been in this space for several years. We've been to it many times. It isn't a favorite of mine but friends like it. The space is crowded and somewhat noisy. The service is decent but spotty. The food has good variety but is not particularly tasty. That it has survived on Montana suggests it has plenty of regular customers. If you want to try some different styles of food it is worth a try. There are plenty of folks who enjoy Babalu, I'm not one of them.

2  Thank Chingachgook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Huron, California
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Been eating there for 15 years... good stuff.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook