“Good, not great”
Review of La Vecchia Cucina

La Vecchia Cucina
Reserve with OpenTable
La Vecchia Cucina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 712 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Ocean Park
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a very popular restaurant on the edge of Santa Monica near Venice. I attended on a Tuesday night and there was a wait so I sat at the bar for dining. As with most busy bars you don't get the best service because the bartender is too busy making drinks. I had the lobster farfalle dish which was pretty good but not great. The bread was fresh and hot and the wine list was good. The prices here aren't outrageous but they're not cheap either. My dish was $20 and the glass of wine was $17. I would go back if I was in the mood for good italian. When I want really gourmet italian food I will pick another place.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Went here on recommendation of a business acquaintance. I do not live in the area but needed to meet out of town business associates for dinner. Overall, a very nice meal. Salad was the highlight, crisp, fresh, generously portioned mixed greens, dressed well without drowning. My main course pasta (linguine alla puttanesca) was good, admittedly a pedestrian standard-fare dish that is not likely to stand out. It was certainly well done, and I would not hesitate to have it or return here again. The wine list is well done without being overwhelming. Certainly well varied, domestic and foreign. Pricing seemed very reasonable. Table staff were not really well schooled on the wines (at least kudos to our server for acknowledging that straight out when asked about some items), but the manager who assisted was quite knowledgeable and helped with a fine and well received recommendation. Great vibrant Santa Monica neighborhood location. Dined on a Tuesday night, and the place was full.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Great selections, fresh and perfectly prepared. The staff is very friendly and professional, atmosphere is upscale and very comfortable. I went two nights in a row, because it was so good, both nights they were very busy, but the meals arrived promptly. The bread is fresh and served with fresh garlic and oil, excellent wine selection, wonderful desserts...we all enjoyed satisfying dinners, at a very reasonable price. Overall a delight!
Reservations are highly recommended.

The one thing which could be improved would be the Parmesan cheese, offered by the waiter, to top a dish, seemed like the powdery dry stuff from a can. I much prefer when it is grated freshly from a hunk of cheese...

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We travelled to Santa Monica twice in the last 6 months and made sure we dined at La Vecchia again this time after a great experience in the fall. Make a reservation as the restaurant is very busy. The food and service are both terrific.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

we made reservations for a Friday night and when we arrived, the restaurant appeared quite full with enthusiastic diners. The food was reasonably priced and very ample, so much so that all of us got boxes with the leftovers. The wine selection was excellent and reasonably priced. Two in our party ordered pasta dishes, which were good but not great. The beef carpaccio was out of this world.