“Overpriced Decent Sushi with Unprofessional Waitress”
Review of Sushi Roku

Sushi Roku
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Roku is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 678 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Santa Monica Blvd. and Ocean Ave.
California
“Overpriced Decent Sushi with Unprofessional Waitress”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Perhaps is just this Asian waitress with the extra short skirt whom I won't name after careful thought. She was more of talker than a listener. At a pricey joint like this, I expect more from the waiting staff because, 20% was far too generous for such poor service.

If you happen to read this, we are the couple who had a 7:00 reservation on July 12th, and were seated in the last booth table in back by the window. After we sat down, she asked my husband what he wanted and then walked away without even greeting me or looking at me or asking me what I might want to drink. Then the drink came; she served us our bottle of sake, and then chatted up with my husband about the menu and if we are familiar with this place without looking at me as I was looking up from the booth in hope that she might acknowledge my presence. Nope, as she turned around and took 2 steps out, I raised my hand to ask her for green tea. No apology given for her misstep. (Left me thinking perhaps that I looked frightfully ugly or intimidating or something...). Minutes later, the other couple joined us for our reservation. So we ordered Omkase, which we normally do when at a reputable sushi place. So courses of platters came, and she explained what they were. Food were over all good, but the bitter experience makes the taste of the food bitter. Would I go back, maybe. If I do I would certainly request a different waiter should she happens to be assigned to our table.

• Visited July 2012

• Turkish first
Canberra, Australia
“Small servings of good food for a very high price”
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

The atmosphere was warm and welcoming and there was a pleasant buzz to the place. The food was presented very well and it was obviously extremely fresh and how you want food to be, especially Sushi and Sushimi. However, we were surprised at the high price for such very small servings. We have travelled and eaten at Japanese restaurants in Asia, Aust/NZ, Europe and the UK and this would compare in price to some of the top end places we've been to but the feel of the place was quite informal. It looked like the perfect place to get a light meal after the long haul flight to LA. We can't complain about the quality of the food - it's comparable to what we've had at some excellent restaurants throughout the world. We did think that the mashed potato with 3 potato fries on top and a few cherry tomatoes served with the lobster cakes lacked authenticity...we weren't sure if that was just a deliberate US twist or a way of padding out the dish to make it look more substantial for the price. In saying that, the lobster cakes were delicious and we were tempted to get another serve (3 v small patties in each serve) but we tried something else instead. It was equally tasty but again very small. We just think that for the price this restaurant could increase the serving size. A surprising thing to hear ourselves saying as we have small appetites, and we noticed on our last trip to the US/Europe that most restaurants we went to, almost every night over 3 months, served plenty of food especially in US where we thought the servings were generally too big! It was a pleasant night and the location right on the beach was lovely too.

Miami, Florida
“worth a try”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The service was good and the restaurant has a nice view of Santa Monica Blvd. Lots of activity. The food was good not great.

Visited June 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well worth the $$”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stumbled upon this place while walking close to the pier. It was simply fantastic, great variety of sushi as well as an extensive wine list. I don't live on the west coast so it seemed a bit pricey, but probably not too bad for the area. Would def recommend and will most certainly make it a destination location when I am back in the area.

• Visited July 2012
“Great Spot”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The grilled mahi mahi tacos (lettuce wrap) were incredible. Ok location, easy to walk to off ocean blvd.

Visited July 2012