“"that yummy Italian place"”
Review of Fritto Misto

Fritto Misto
Ranked #10 of 682 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Santa Monica, California
“"that yummy Italian place"”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have a friend who lives in Washington and whenever she visits me in Santa Monica she always asks if we can go to "that yummy Italian place" again. That's Fritto Misto (and she's not the only one who wants to go back).

Fritto's been in business for over 25 years and has succeeded because it has a simple formula: "yummy" food, reasonable prices, and good service from friendly servers. The bus boys (is there a new term?) are efficient and will keep your water/tea glass full. They offer lunch specials for under $10, and they always have a dinner special. The salads are huge and can easily serve as a meal for one person or can be split by up to four people as a first course. The Greens and Gorgonzola is always a popular choice. The menu features at least two dozen pasta combinations or you can build your own using any of the ingredients on the menu. My favorite is the Chicken Picatta with artichokes and pine nuts added. The wine list probably features about a dozen selections and always features a special wine in the $5-$6/glass range. I think the corkage fee is about $5 if you want to bring your own bottle. And don't deny yourself a basket of bread. It's worth the carbs.

They don't take reservations so the wait at dinner time on a Friday or Saturday night can be about 30 minutes long but it's worth it. Somehow they turn the tables quickly without making diners feel rushed. I would say the atmosphere is convivial due to its small size and the closeness of the tables. Don't be surprised if someone at the next table leans over asks "Oooh, what's that" when your dish is delivered. That's the kind of informal place it is.

I'd recommend it as a place to take your family, your friends, a date, or even to go by yourself.

• Visited July 2014

Santa Monica, California
“Garlic fest”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

If U love garlic like I do, this is the spot .. best casual Italian spot beachside . when it's a locals fan fav, it's good .. plus U never know what Hollywood type U'll see eating at table next to U .. U can create Ur own dish by mixing and matching all ingrediences , or just order the chicken Marsala, my FAV ... U MUST ORDER SOME GARLIC ON THE SIDE WITH SOME FRESH BREAD AND GO NUTZ ..... but proceed at Ur own risk .. :) a bottle of red and Ur good to go ... Manja Manja

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Bigshow77
Laguna Beach, California
“No Fancy Shmansy here but don't be fooled it is a locals spot”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Lots of uppity spots in Santa Monica this is not one of them. It is very unassuming and casual spot. We went there for lunch on a quite Sunday. They have specials every day of the week. Surrounding very stark nothing fancy but the specials we ordered were great. I had an artichoke pasta that was was tge winner served with an ample Cesar Salad and the other guest had mushroom pasta with a Gorgonzloa Salad . Truth is there was enough to split, but it was so good not much was left. Service was casual but really friendly and attentive. shout out to Cingo.....and we got a slice of flowerless chocolate cake that was yummy and on the house because we were nice, of course, and it was our first, but not last visit. The tab for all of this $24. Now you can't beat that.

• Visited June 2014
Edmonton, Canada
“Great food and service at a very reasonable price”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Loved the pasta. Nice little wine list. Friendly service. This place sticks out in my mind as the best "bang for buck" restaurants that I have eaten in anywhere, and will be on my return list every time I go to LA. I would write the same review of their Hermosa Beach location as well.

Visited October 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Outstanding”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My family and I had gone to this place once before, during our trip to Santa Monica last year, but I didn't use trip advisor back then.
It was so great last year we decided to go again this year.

From the moment you walk near it you notice it is extremely busy all he time. No fear however! All the times I've went there I've never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes. It's a smaller place but always seems to not have much of a wait yet remains busy.

The food is outstanding. I create my own pasta dish (a very cheap and delicious way to go) and add toppings like Italian sausage or chicken. They have great specials as well. If you're a chicken Parmesan fan, ask them for it, it's not on the menu. Its very worth it, a hidden treasure!

Pricing is fair, any Italian place tends to be high, but you can easily get a fantastic meal without breaking the bank. If you're going for pasta, expect to spend anywhere from 8-14ish depending on how you make it.

The restaurant is in a fantastic location, a few blocks back from the hustle and bustle of the coastal road. If you're staying in the Fairmont hotel on the coastal road and wilshire blvd, it's around a 20 minute walk, so not far.

The staff are absolutely fantastic. It was nice to see the same people working there time and time again. They work hard and you can tell they're always busy and running around, but they take the time to ask you how your meal is and make you feel welcomed.
A great atmosphere for eating!

• Visited June 2014