“Terrible Service--Good Food”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: 5th Street
Description: JiRaffe offers market directed rustic California/French food with seasonally inspired classic cocktails in a casually chic environment. The service is relaxed yet articulate and as elegant as the coastal community of Santa Monica.
Reviewed February 17, 2008

My boyfriend and I saved up to go to a nice restaurant during Valentine's Day and we chose a dinner at Jiraffe on Feb. 17th. I have to start by saying that the food was delicious and I would have been happy to pay a hefty price for such good food. However, our service was absolutely disastrous. I don't normally take my time to write out emails like this one, but the service really flattened our mood and created a terrible atmosphere and I thought you would like to know. To start, the host told us in the rudest way that our table would not be ready for five minutes and jerked his head as if to indicate we could wait at the bar. Our waitress, Maria K was NOT rude and neither was any of the wait staff. However, they were all completely oblivious to us and our fellow diners to a ridiculous degree. We started by waiting ten minutes for anyone to bring our water and finally had to remind her to get us our tap water. Then we could not get her to take a drink order for another ten minutes. After we ate the appetizers, we waited, honestly, 20 minutes for any single person to pick up the salad dishes that we were clearly done with. All the wait staff looked at us and walked right by us, Finally we ordered and spent the next fifteen minutes discussing the service with the couple they planted two inches to the left of our table. Unfortunately, this couple never got bread or water for about 20 minutes and when they finally asked what was going on, the waitress told them they were out of bread. Over my shoulder I heard a solo diner complaining that he had not received water or bread or service and he had been there 10 minutes or so. Our food came to the wrong table, (the couple next to us) and their food came to us. The food was great and Maria did check on us twice and got me more wine which was fabulous. We left before dessert feeling we had paid $150.00 for a disappointment and noticed the chef himself chiding the host for something else.

Reviewed January 14, 2008

Appetizers aren't spectacular. Ask for regular/tap water. Bottled Fiji is $6.

Reviewed January 6, 2008

We knew the menu on the web site was small, but we figured there would be numerous specials. The menu at the restaurant differed more than expected from the one on the web site and if there were specials I've already forgotten them, so they weren't memorable.
However, the food and service were very good.

Reviewed January 4, 2008

I liked it, but not spectacular considering the higher prices.

Reviewed December 22, 2007

a cousin of melisse, but much less expensive