“great panorama”
Review of The Lobster

The Lobster
Reserve with OpenTable
The Lobster is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 705 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Colorado Ave.
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We have been here several times and it is always exciting.Sometimes difficult to get in if you did not make a reservation sometime in advance.Once seated the view is overwhelming and so is the atmosphere.Informal and a little trendy with young waiters who are very gntle and flexible.If you love oysters,clams ,crab etc this is the place to be.Good winelist to and then the view on the pier...Next time we definitely go again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,754)

Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Fills up fast for dinner so reservations are strongly recommended. Pricey but my clam, shrimp & sausage appetizer was more than enough for dinner. My husband loved his steak & the fries were awesome. View is wonderful! Definitely recommend it.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I booked this restaurant for our second night in Santa Monica. We were taken to a window table and the blind was fully drawn up for the sunset - splendid sunset.
We ordered wine and were brought bread with tapas in olive oil to put on breads, it was lovely. Then we ordered the Octopus, simply divine and beautifully presented. For our Entrees my husband had the Steelhead and I had the Crab Cakes, once again both were beautifully presented. For dessert we had soft chocolate pudding served with ice cream and a bowl of delicious popcorn ! Wine was very nice as was the cappuccino's we had.
Whilst we were having dinner we had full view of the pier lit up and Santa Monica beach, couldn't ask for a better table as the views were stunning. There were many window tables letting guests have sunset and pier views.
One of my favourite restaurants now, waiter was very attentive, food extremely good and presentation of food makes your dish even more delicious. Atmosphere very nice and happy with people chatting. I did read somebody found it noisy here, well it is a large restaurant full with people eating, drinking and generally having a nice time therefore there is chatting noise but no different to any other well run busy establishment.
One thing we liked it was a fine dining non pretentious restaurant with sensible prices for extremely good food. Our bill came to $132 including tip which, for a special meal in a panoramic setting, was extremely good.
Valet parking is $7 for three hours as long as you have a reservation at The Lobster.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

What a view, had the lobster (fresh, tasty, well prepared), sea urchin (was a first,wanted something different ) although I must admit it was quite pricey it was good and I am happy I tried it.
The service was great and the waiter was very attentive.
Price tag $140.00 for 2 people no wine or spirits.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

It's been many years since my last visit to Santa Monica. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that The Lobster, once a run down and abandoned restaurant is operating once again. And it's good!

While you could easily dismiss the place as a tourist destination - it has a fabulous view of the Santa Monica Pier and Pacific Ocean - the food should not be discounted.

While many of the patrons were enjoying Maine and/or Spiny lobsters, we chose some of the restaurants other seafood options. Service was good (thanks Amy!), everything was well presented and delicious. While I did not have a dessert, my friends were thrilled with their choices.

Overall, and especially if you are visiting for the first time, this is a great restaurant for good food and good memories. Make sure you book in advance and request a window table.