“Lots of Lobster”
Review of The Lobster

The Lobster
Reserve with OpenTable
The Lobster is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 705 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Colorado Ave.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

As a pre Valentines Day dinner, we happened to be in Santa Monica and had heard good things about this restaurant. Luckily we got a last minute reservation and were seated at a table with a beautiful view of the pier and the water. The place was hustling and bustling. Our server was so attentive and helped us choose a spectacular dinner. For starters we had the Caledonia king prawns in a tasty broth. It was a perfect sized app. Next, I had the butter poached lobster with yummy mashed potatoes and peas. So fresh and buttery, and the mashed potatoes were to die for! My husband had the grilled lobster. He said it was perfection. The ambiance was so romantic. I know this will definitely be our yearly Valentine's Day dinner spot.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,755)

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Good food is never cheap and The Lobster is no exception. What made our meal an experience was the combination of excellent ingredients expertly prepared by a top kitchen, served with style and grace that was attentive without hovering. We walked in on a Tuesday night and only had to wait 15 minutes for a table and had a nice conversation with the bar and hostess staff while waiting which set the mood for an enjoyable meal.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

It's at a great location. I like bringing out of town clients here for the view/location. But, I love California spiney lobsters cooked Porto Nuevo style (grilled open face). I've had them at The Lobster twice now and both times I was pretty disappointed. About half of the edible meat was mushy. I'm not sure if it's the quality of the lobster or the cooking of the lobster... But then again it's not my job to figure that out. Others I've dined with have enjoyed their choices so that's why I rate it as average. Again, the location is perfect.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

There are few dining experiences in all of Los Angeles that can match The Lobster for ambience and food. If they weren't always so busy, Hollywood studios would be using it as a filming location day and night for it's panoramic view from the Palisades and Malibu hills, across the blue Pacific overlooking the carnivalesque Santa Monica Pier, Catalina Island and the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Now ... what happened to me. I was on a first date. We weren't super hungry and thought we'd split an entree to, how shall we say, to take advantage of the view with economic efficiency. The waiter steered us to a seasonal lobster that we could split. The bill arrived and it was just over $330 !!!!! She had ONE glass of wine. I had ONE beer. Whereas we thought we were splitting a half lobster between us, we were splitting a whole lobster. I admit, before we dug in, I should have asked the waiter what was up. It turns out the lobster we ordered was very rare and cost $25 an OUNCE! Each half was 4 1/2 ounces so the lobster alone came to $250. Asparagus was separate. Kale salad, that we split, was separate. They were nice enough to offer me a gift certificate for next time for $50. The moral of the story, if you need glasses to read the menu, use them ... and ask the price upon ordering!

Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

No other restaurant can match the beach view at the Lobster. The entire back and side walls are glass so you get an unobstructed 180 degree view of the beachfront. Sometimes a nice restaurant can seem a little intimidating but everyone was very friendly. The clam chowder was truly exceptional. Everyone was happy with what they ordered and it was an enjoyable atmosphere.