“Good British food”

Cuisines: American, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Description: British Pub, Restaurant, Gift Shoppe & Bakery in the heart of Santa Monica. World famous for over 40 years serving breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. LIVE sports, Patio Dining, Happy Hour Mon - Fri 4-7pm. Full bar.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Nice atmosphere, great setting.

Portions are big and the price reasonable.

I had Guinness steak pie which was tasty but the thing you must try is the sticky toffee pudding, it's the best I've ever had.m

There are newer reviews for Ye Olde King's Head

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

This place is in a little british section of Santa Monica and stands head and shoulders above the rest. Huge portions (trust me don't get the king size fish and chips unless you have a mean appatite), amazing ambiance (I sat right under a picture of Churchill) and vibrant staff (though I think my waitress was in a bad mood)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

In town for the LA Marathon, we're staying close by and decided to have a true British breakfast.
Food was average, service was ok.
Seemed to be only one waitress on duty at 9:30 when we got there, so she appeared to be a bit in the weeds. (There was a total of 5 parties in the restaurant during our visit)
While substitutions are adamantly not allowed - and emphasized on the menu, I was allowed to order a "British BLT" sandwich plate for my meal. It was ok.
Overall it was an average meal in an average restaurant that tries to pride/market it self as being something more than average in Santa Monica.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I loved this place. Ate in the restaurant area. I liked the decor...and I am English. Food very good. Good selection of beers. I even had a 'shandy'. It is a long time since I've seen that on a menu.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place looked interesting, having never tried true British food I figured it may be the closest chance I got. So, I don't know whether to say the food was great but just not to my liking or that it was lousy British fare. You'll need to decide for yourself, but may be worth a try. I ordered corned beef cabbage special. Servings are HUGE! Enough plenty for two!. Came with boiled red potatoes and cabbage, sliced beef and a gravy that was rather bland, but the meat was flavorful. Peas and carrots that were at best average. The bread was very good. The appetizer of English sausage in pastry was very good, but after one I had enough. Very rich and heavy. At another table I saw the Irish Beef Stew served on a large dinner plate. LOTS of beef poured over a HUGE amount of mashed potatoes and the guest ate it all and seemed to enjoy it. The fish and chips looked good but heavy batter and greasy looking. The beer list seemed skimpy but the atmosphere was festive and fun. The service was bad. Waitress was extremely busy and stressed and we ended up with another waitress in the end and our dirty dishes sat on the table for over 30 minutes after we were done. I'd try it again but would have to be in the right mood to want big heavy servings. Prices were very reasonable.