“Hail the 'Godmother”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Great sandwich...VERY messy and the bread is always chewy....but a great sandwich! Check it out!

Reviewed January 19, 2011

No pickles really does mean no pickles.. They are very pervasive, one measly pickle slice can ruin just about anything. Couldn't eat the sandwich even though I was really hungry. Now I'm crabby and I have a headache. Thanks a lot, Bay Cities. Plus, the over caffeinated in store security guard needs to be told to keep his meat hooks off the customers.

1  Thank kingsberry
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Bay Cities gets a very good rating not an excellent rating not due to its food. The food by far is excellent. However, it cannot be rated excellent due to the service. Unfortunately, the service is not always that great. There is always a line for the sandwiches because they are so good. However, the lines tend to move slow. If you're not picky, then they sometimes have a basket of made Godmother sandwiches in a basket which you can take. Since I always get a Godmother with the Works and Hot anyways, I'm able to get in and out quickly. But yes.. as many posters have commented, the service is slow and the parking is often difficult as cars are lined up in the street to try to get into the narrow parking spots that is typical of Los Angeles and Santa Monica.

With that said, the sandwiches are excellent. The Caprese sandwich is one of the best, if not the best, Caprese sandwiches I've had. The mozzarella is different from any mozzarella that I've had. Its creamy and smooth but has flaky texture to it. Almost like string cheese. It compliments the tomato, basil and balsamic vinegar so well!! Still, I always end of up going back to Bay Cities to get the Godmother. Its the combination of Genoa Salami, Mortadella Coppacola, Ham, Prosciutto, and Provolone that is so unique. You get the saltiness of the meats combined with the creaminess of the provolone that balances this sandwich out. Also, if you get it hot, you get this jalapeno mixture that gives it that nice kick to compliment the saltiness of the meats so well. Add to that, their freshly baked bread.. you get a nice crunch on the outside as you bite into the sandwich with the nice soft doughy texture of the middle of the bread as you sink your teeth into the sandwich. They sell their bread individually and you can often get a loaf that is still hot!! I highly recommend picking up their load of bread to dip in some good olive oil!!

Overall, Bay Cities is highly recommended. The food is definitely one of the best sandwiches you can have. The pasta salads are also great, but the sandwiches are what this place is known for.. especially the Godmother. Do not expect great service, but do expect a great sandwich.

2  Thank Five_Seasons
Reviewed September 28, 2010

the godmother is as good as it gets in LA . love NJ and east coast subs, but you won't find the real thing out here. advance order on the web for custom orders, or just grab a pre-made godmother from the case.

Reviewed August 13, 2010

The manager in this place has no idea how to treat customers. After a long wait about 20 minutes we got our sandwiches only when I got home I realized that they put so much sauce ( the works sides) that the whole thing was so soggy. Called the manager explained that we go there every week and my sandwich was terriable he suggested the only way he will replace it next time or give me a credit is for me to drive back or keep the soggy sandwich from the trash in my fridge next time I go in. I am angry that I spent so much money over the years in that place. Manger is such a jerk and I can't believe his attitude

4  Thank rose198033052