“Gotta try the Godmother Sandwich”

Bay Cities Italian Deli
Ranked #71 of 682 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gotta try the Godmother Sandwich”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Always busy. Great selection of imported groceries, and a great selection of sandwiches and deli meats and cheeses.

Visited December 2012

Santa Monica, California
“Sopranos In Santa Monica”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Let me just say that I have been shopping and eating at Bay Cities Deli since I was a child (over 40 years). I have always loved the sandwiches mainly for the bread and always get the spicy peppers which if you are faint of heart, try the mild.

I visited today (Saturday) and the place was a madhouse. The wait to get a sandwich was probably 30 minutes but I have always felt the the sandwich is so good, it's worth it to park a block away and stand around for 20 minutes in a space so tight and crowded it's uncomfortable.

I took a ticket at the counter and waited out front for my friend and jockeyed for a table to eat at. I got a table but before my friend arrived, i noticed a man with a blind child with him who was looking for a table to eat at, so I gave him my table and waited for another table. The only reason why I mention the story about the blind kid is to demonstrate that I am a human being.

When my friend arrived, we sat at a filthy table and I got his sandwich order (Godmother, big surprise) and I went back inside to brave the crowd and wait for my number to be called. As I waited I went to the drink case and tried to figure out what to get to drink. I texted my friend who was sitting out front and asked him what he wanted to drink. He texted that he still didn't know so I had the clever idea to take a picture of the drink case to give him some ideas. This is where it went all wrong.

A woman who was arranging something on a display to the side of the drink case said "don't take any pictures in MY store". I explained to her what I was doing and she repeated "no pictures in the store" and then she dismissed me. I laughed and told her ok and retreated to the crowded counter. As I stood at the counter, I noticed some of the employees talking behind me. The next thing I know, a short man with a walkie talkie approaches me and ask me about the picture. I asked him to leave me alone. He starts talking into his microphone, apparently asking for back up, then he tells me I have to leave. As I continue to walk towards the front door to leave, he follows me closely and I told him to "leave me the F alone, I'm leaving." He then proceeds to taunt me about my manhood and my lack of willingness to physically confront him. What the H is wrong with these people? As I am walking out towards the front door another man also short in stature charges me from the direction of the front door with his chest puffed and physically menaces me and unbelievably asks me why I don't "swing on him". Unbelievable. One of the employees is actually inviting a fight in front of the crowd of confused patrons. I insisted that he get the F out of my away and he continued to taunt me.

I finally got around the short puffy chested man and made a hasty retreat and felt regretful that I lowered myself to the level of a couple insecure "deli bouncers". I hope the editors chose to allow this to be posted because this actually happened. I really like Bay Cities but I will never return because as far as I'm concerned, it's "Satriale's in Santa Monica".

• Visited December 2012
5 Thank Jeremy B
Shanghai
“Best Sandwhich in the world”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have been a lot of places, including a lot of the "best" sandwiches shown to my by local new yorkers, and this is hands down the best sandwich in the world, it really is. The bread is crunch yet soft, the meat is tender and sweet, the sauces are fully flavored but not overwhelming, the lettuce is airy and , the tomatoes ripe and juicy, the cheeses are subtle yet heard in every bite. The best sandwich in the world.

• Visited December 2012
Glendale, California
“Anything and everything you want is here”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great store with the best selection of Italian products I have ever seen anywhere. The cookbook section could be improved and the parking situation is terrible, but once you get inside, you will find aisle after aisle filled with goodies you want to try. I ended up having to drop my first basket off at the register to be able to continue with a second. Unbelievable variety of products. Try it!

Visited July 2012
“Great Italian Deli”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Great sandwiches, ask for the works and they will load it with good stuff for you. Be prepared to wait in line around lunchtime. Roast beef is real good.