“What a Gem!”
Review of Sam's by the Beach

Sam's by the Beach
Reserve with OpenTable
Sam's by the Beach is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 689 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pacific Coast HWY
Description: A Mediterranean bistro, featuring some Middle Eastern tastes, run by a native of Damascus.
Lexington, Kentucky
“What a Gem!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

This KY bunch loved this place. My tuna tartare was so huge it could have been a meal. The lamb was great. The wine off the charts. We cant wait to return!

Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable meal with gluten-free options”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked this restaurant for dinner on a Wednesday night, having read good reviews here on Trip Advisor. I emailed ahead of time to check if they could accommodate her gluten-free diet and we were told it was no problem.

We took a slow walk up from Santa Monica pier, which took us about 45 minutes and enjoyed the beginnings of the sunset on our stroll. Arriving at the restaurant on time (having sipped a couple of cocktails next door), we were impressed with the intimate comfort and friendliness of the staff.

We were re-assured about my girlfriends gluten-free requirements and had the items clearly explained to us. We then proceeded to order - tuna tartar for me and the Roquefort salad for her. Both were pleasantly presented and delicious. I had high expectations and they were not disappointed.

For our entrées, my girlfriend had their signature dish of lamb, whilst I had the sea bass which was on the specials board. Both were delicious with two clean plates and full stomachs afterwards.

In spite of this, we were seduced in to sharing a dessert of chocolate mousse. When it arrived, we were quickly told that it contained wheat. However, we could keep it (just for me!) and they would make a special one for my girlfriend without. A couple of minutes later it arrived elegantly presented in a wine glass and absolutely delicious! I think she said it was the best chocolate mousse she'd ever had - and trust me she's had a lot!

At the end of our lovely evening, we paid a fair price for the quality of food we had eaten and left agreeing we would return again some day.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Matt D
GP
“Delicious Dining”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We read about this on tripadvisor and decided to give it a try. It was amazing. My friend had the special of lamb chops. She raved about them. I had the veal and could not leave a drop of the sauce. Another person had a steak that she stated was cooked perfectly. We all loved our meals. The atmosphere was fun and comfortable. The olive and rosemary bread was also yummy. I don't have enough good things to say about this place.

• Visited August 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Another winner”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We found the place by chance and trip advisored it on our cell phone. Nice reviews. It is nothing to like it that's for sure but what great food. Hands on owner attention is hard to beat. My husband loves Sea Bass and this was to die for as I had to try it. We would send everyone here. Remember no windows and funky old building but great food.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Tammy G
Naples, Florida
“Outstanding in every way”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had the loveliest meal at Sam's recently! Our party of 4 are all sophisticated diners who travel & eat at top-notch restaurants. Sam's is a small, intimate restaurant. The owner is definitely hands-on, circulating graciously around the room. His attention pays off in discreet but warmly impeccable service. The food was outstanding. Excellent preparation and presentation, yet not fussy or pretentious. We needed a little guidance with wine & one of the special evening entrees, and the suggestions were perfect. If I lived in the area, I would come often & bring guests - luckily for me, a family member does live nearby, so I can come back!

• Visited June 2013