“Excellent Mexican!”
Review of Mercado

Mercado
Reserve with OpenTable
Mercado is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 709 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Santa Moinca
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We really, really enjoyed dinner here. We shared two appetizers (Tacos de Jicama con Camarón and Dos Gringas) and the Carnitas. One of the best Mexican meals we've ever had with friendly staff to boot. We didn't have a reservation.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was our go to spot during a recent trip to LA. All the appetizers and entrees were great. I especially enjoyed the carnitas. It's a great spot to belly up to the bar for happy hour. The restaurant gets crowded so a spot at the bar is sometimes all you can get. They have taco and margarita specials during the week. Pretty cheap eats for Santa Monica. The bartenders are especially friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. I'll definitely be back!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Very impressed on my first visit here after reading all the positive reviews. Nice ambiance, efficient and friendly service, great food. Tried the blood orange margarita, choriquezo appetizer, squash flowers, Hawaiian ono special (perfectly cooked and nicely spiced), and the "best flan in the galaxy," all of which were delicious. Definitely worth going out of your way just to try the squash blossoms.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

As one who likes to try all the latest and greatest in food fare, and believe me there is no shortage in Los Angeles, this restaurant was a welcome surprise. we started out with the chips and guacamole and while you really cannot mess up guac, this guac was taken to a whole new level. the chips were thick and crispy too. a perfect start. next we had the small plates skirt steak which was heaven, fish tacos and scallops and were equally impressed and did not know when to stop eating. we did not make it to the desert, however the flan looked amazing. the margaritas and beer were great as well. definitely not a quiet scene and reservations are necessary. As it is located in the heart of Santa Monica, parking is awful, but worth it at least to try this new gem.

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I have to say wow! I knew nothing about this place but liked the look of it from the outside - industrial rustic vibe, so rallied the family and we are here last night.
My husband and I had the blood orange margaritas, fantastic! It was a drink special I think.
We then started with the guacamole and a queso with mushrooms and spinach (it came with Chorizo but my daughter didn't want it, so opted for the dip without) BOTH exceptional... I could eat more, more, more!
We ordered the chopped salad to share, absolutely divine, I want my own next time we go back!
For dinner we both had the Carne Asada and it was fantastic! It's served in one piece over grilled shucked corn with guacamole and grilled spring onions and I got a side of the cilantro rice which I also want more of!
My son had the shrimp tacos which he said were incredible.
We were so full! We wanted the flan because we read reviews on yelp while we were seated and it seems people are crazy for it, but we just couldn't eat more. We will return no doubt! Maybe even today, that's how much Im willing to say BEST inspired imaginative MEXICAN ever!!